SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

SageTV server in sleep mode

I decided it was time to try to lower our electric bill.

I never had attempted to put computer that SageTV server resides on to sleep in the past so I thought I would give it a try this month and set the power option to have computer go to sleep in 2 hours if there been no activities.

My setup is two HD300s for TVs viewing and my computer with SageTV server and also two DirectTV STB using Ethernet channel changer which are sitting in a closet.

When I set the computer to go sleep in 2 hours, I know in fact it goes to sleep because when power on HD300, there a delay in loading up menu becase it have to send a WOL to wake the computer up and then it would connect to SageTV so that part seem to be working great.

But my problem seem to be is when SageTV is sleeping and recording is due, SageTV start recording but does not change the channel via Ethernet first to the DirectTV STB so it recording the last channel that was set on the DirectTV before SageTV went to sleep.

Another thing I noticed that when I knew it should be recording something by now, I powered on the HD300 to check and it tell me that SageTV computer was still in sleep mode that it had to send WOL to wait it up then it made the connection. But the recording was already running however still on the wrong channel or last known channel before it went to sleep.

Is that normal for a recording to happen while the computer is in sleep mode and any idea what is causing SageTV not to send a change channel signal to DirectTV boxes while in sleep mode but seem to start the recording fine.

Can anyone here help me out? Right now I have set it not to sleep like before until I can figure out what causing my issue.

Thank you
BIll
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm also having trouble getting Sage to wakeup the PC when a recording is coming up. Still haven't found the answer yet...
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have had my server sleeping for years and have never missed a recording. To answer your question no the pc wakes up to record and does not do it in sleep mode. I do have mine setup to wake up 10 Minutes before a recording is to start. and go to sleep after 30 minutes. The biggest problem I have had was that if I paused it for a long time it would sometimes go to sleep even with the HD300 on. I'm sure you have done this but check your S3 Settings and be sure you are running sagetv in service mode.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
I decided it was time to try to lower our electric bill.

I never had attempted to put computer that SageTV server resides on to sleep in the past so I thought I would give it a try this month and set the power option to have computer go to sleep in 2 hours if there been no activities.

My setup is two HD300s for TVs viewing and my computer with SageTV server and also two DirectTV STB using Ethernet channel changer which are sitting in a closet.

When I set the computer to go sleep in 2 hours, I know in fact it goes to sleep because when power on HD300, there a delay in loading up menu becase it have to send a WOL to wake the computer up and then it would connect to SageTV so that part seem to be working great.

But my problem seem to be is when SageTV is sleeping and recording is due, SageTV start recording but does not change the channel via Ethernet first to the DirectTV STB so it recording the last channel that was set on the DirectTV before SageTV went to sleep.

Another thing I noticed that when I knew it should be recording something by now, I powered on the HD300 to check and it tell me that SageTV computer was still in sleep mode that it had to send WOL to wait it up then it made the connection. But the recording was already running however still on the wrong channel or last known channel before it went to sleep.

Is that normal for a recording to happen while the computer is in sleep mode and any idea what is causing SageTV not to send a change channel signal to DirectTV boxes while in sleep mode but seem to start the recording fine.

Can anyone here help me out? Right now I have set it not to sleep like before until I can figure out what causing my issue.

Thank you
BIll
Do you have the "Always tune channel" setting set in detailed setup?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I have "always tune" selected...why do you ask?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I have "always tune" selected...why do you ask?
I was asking TechBill specifically because in his post I quoted I didn't see where it was selected.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Do you have the "Always tune channel" setting set in detailed setup?

Yes I have it set to "Always tune channel"

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
I have had my server sleeping for years and have never missed a recording. To answer your question no the pc wakes up to record and does not do it in sleep mode. I do have mine setup to wake up 10 Minutes before a recording is to start. and go to sleep after 30 minutes. The biggest problem I have had was that if I paused it for a long time it would sometimes go to sleep even with the HD300 on. I'm sure you have done this but check your S3 Settings and be sure you are running sagetv in service mode.

Thanks for sharing.

I changed mine to 10 minutes before recording and hope that will fix my problem.

What is a "S3" settings?

I am running SageTV in service mode.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

S3 settings is in the Bios it is the sleep mode windows uses. Like I said I have never had it not wake up before. Are you running sage in service mode?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes I have it set to "Always tune channel"

Bill
You might look at your network settings in the power policies and see if anything seems to be setup incorrectly. Maybe you need to setup your NIC so that it is always on for it to wake up from S3 for instance. The only time I had problems when I was sleeping my system was with a USB-UIRT not coming back correctly when it powered up. I have my servers virtualized now so the PCs are always running. Sorry not much help if this doesn't help since I no longer sleep my system.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

I changed mine to 10 minutes before recording and hope that will fix my problem.

What is a "S3" settings?

I am running SageTV in service mode.

Bill
Hi there - can you tell me what your settings are in W7 - Power Options, aka how did you set things up regarding putting the PC to sleep. I want to try and mimic your settings to see if I can also get Sage to wake up the PC to record
thanks
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Hi there - can you tell me what your settings are in W7 - Power Options, aka how did you set things up regarding putting the PC to sleep. I want to try and mimic your settings to see if I can also get Sage to wake up the PC to record
thanks
In Power Options I am using [Balanced]

And I set

[Display - 10 minutes] (I don't even have a monitor hooked up to it)

[Put the computer to sleep: 1 hour]

then I went into Advance setting and change one more setting

[Require a password on wake up: - No]

The computer does goes to sleep and wake up before recording but it doesn't change the channel so right now I disable the sleep mode until I have more time to mess with it.

One more thing you might want to check your bios under power management. Some of the motherboard have a toggle where you need to toggle it to let OS manage it.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Don't use sleep mode either but was curious on nic settings in device manager.

Right click on the Ethernet controller under network adapter>properties>power management and allow magic packet to wake computer checked?

Also under advanced tab is shutdown/wakeup enabled? Along with magic packet enabled?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In Power Options I am using [Balanced]

And I set

[Display - 10 minutes] (I don't even have a monitor hooked up to it)

[Put the computer to sleep: 1 hour]

then I went into Advance setting and change one more setting

[Require a password on wake up: - No]

The computer does goes to sleep and wake up before recording but it doesn't change the channel so right now I disable the sleep mode until I have more time to mess with it.

One more thing you might want to check your bios under power management. Some of the motherboard have a toggle where you need to toggle it to let OS manage it.

Bill
ok, so I fiddled a bit yesterday....I had set Sage to wake the PC three minutes before a recording. Nada - zip - nothing.
Changed the timer to four minutes.....Voila! Sage began waking up the PC.
Makes no sense, but it seems to work.
I use both FireWire and Hauppauge IR tuning, and both change the channels after waking up the PC
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmoke View Post
Don't use sleep mode either but was curious on nic settings in device manager.

Right click on the Ethernet controller under network adapter>properties>power management and allow magic packet to wake computer checked?

Also under advanced tab is shutdown/wakeup enabled? Along with magic packet enabled?
Yes checked and enabled ...

I will do some more testing this weekend when I am not at work.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm trying to save some energy to, but unfortunately the PC doesn't wakeup for recordings.

When turning on my HD300 everything is working fine. WOL packet is sent to SageTV PC and resume is done properly.

Any idea how to check what's going wrong ? Any logfiles to check ? Any tests which can be done ? Anybody knows what kind of mechanism SageTV is using to wake up the PC for upcoming recordings ?

Just to mention: SageTV is running in service mode.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV > Detailed Setup > Customize > Power Management Settings > (server wake up time prior to new recording what's this set to?

[We have to assume that you've verified everything else already mentioned in this thread.]
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

"Server wake up time prior to new recording" is set to 10 minutes
Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Sage Icon

Does your SageTV computer version of Windows have the setting "allow wake timers" enabled?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Does your SageTV computer version of Windows have the setting "allow wake timers" enabled?
Yes - "allow wake timers" is enabled. Does anybody know an option to view / validate the programmed timers ?