SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Best htpc keyboard option

So I have a nuc and using it as a client. Looking for a decent small keyboard for minimal use. Basically need it only for maintenance and tweaks but would like it always handy. My nuc has Bluetooth so would like something with BT. I tried one cheap Chinese unit but it shipped doa.

Another optioni looked at was touchpadhd app for the ipad, it worked well however the ireciever software conflicts with the nuc cir driver which I found very odd.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 AM
SageTVaholic

any bluetooth keyboard is likely to cost quite a bit more than any of the cheap non-bluetooth wireless models. If you've got a place to stash it, a cheap desktop wireless keyboard is certainly nice to have out there. Personally, I slide mine under the front of the couch when not in use.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

I use this keyboard with my SageTV server in the basement. I wouldn't want to write a novel on it but it is more than usable for times I have to physically log in to my server.

The keyboard is compact, takes up little space, and has a trackpad.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s, 1 Client, 1 MiniClient
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I use this keyboard with my SageTV server in the basement. I wouldn't want to write a novel on it but it is more than usable for times I have to physically log in to my server.

I use one of these. Pretty nice.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post

+1

I just picked one if these this week for my client build. It comes with a range extender in case the keyboard is getting out if range.

2xhd300
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm using the same keyboard and, while it's the best one that's still available, I despise it. Some of the keys aren't in the correct places or are smaller than usual, so I'm constantly having typos or mysteriously highlighting previously typed sentences and deleting them, having to undo and continue. This is caused by the placement of a half-sized, right shift key directly to the right of the up arrow. Also, I don't like the fact that there's no scroll wheel. You can two-finger scroll on the trackpad, but when you're generally using two hands to hold the keyboard in your lap, that doesn't work so well. I've resorted to using the up/down arrow buttons instead.

This keyboard does have the best range I've seen on an HTPC keyboard.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Curious why a BT keyboard would be more expensive than one that uses Logitechs unified wireless. Technically you could sell the keyboard without the dongle if it was BT.

I like the Logitech one posted except for the fact that it is not BT . Reason I would like BT is so that it could be used with other devices (tablets). Also I would pay more for the same keyboard if it was BT because it would be more useful to me.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use mobile mouse app and have very good results, between that and splashtop hd pretty happy camper. I also use the cheap amazon basics bluetooth keyboard for typing on tablets...it's about an inch bigger than the ipad on landscape.

The bluetooth class makes the difference in range but since it's on the 2.4 spectrum can cause interference. Class 2 has 33 feet line of sight max range, probably cut that in half for real world results. Class 1 has the best range but can also cause the most interference, so I think that would add to the cost due to more power. Then the bluetooth rev spec determines the efficiency while upping the data rate, so a BT 4.1 battery life should be very good while having less drops.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
SageTVaholic

My HTPC has a Gyration Go keyboard / air mouse combo but I am not even sure that they are still sold. I also have a Logitech diNovo mini that I use occasionally.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Sage User

I use a Logitech K700 and like it a lot. You can find it for about $40 on ebay. A few of the media keys (like Home) do not work with Sage, but the kayboard and trackpad work great.