SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

HD-PVR consistent audio micro-glitches

Quick problem here I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on:

I have two HD-PVRs that have been in use for a while. One is one of the older model ones and one is a newer one with the new design (think they called them v2 or something).

When the newer one, which shows up in Sage as the "Hauppauge Siena" tuner, records a show, I get audio glitches when playing that show back (or in live viewings). The glitches are basically little very quick audio drop-outs. I'd say they happen roughly every 10-15 seconds.

Here's the catch: only one of my two playback systems has that problem. Both playback systems use HD200 extenders. They also both use Onkyo receivers (the one in the system that has the audio glitches is a much higher end Onkyo).

I have tried switching out the extenders and it doesn't make a difference, so it seems like it's on the receiver side that one of them is able to play the files back without drop-outs and one of them is not. So it seems like the HD-PVR may be producing recordings that are flawed in some way in the audio track, but that for some reason the Onkyo receiver in one of my playback setups is handling the audio issue without any problems and the other is not.

I'd be happy to either fix the problem at the source (ie. recordings without audio glitches) or cover it up by some change of setting at the receiver level. Either is fine with me. Just don't know where to even begin.

Anybody experienced this before or have any other suggestions for me?
Thanks!

Last edited by popechild; 11-12-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

My first thought is to play the video file in something like VLC on the server and see if the audio 'glitches' still occur.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
My first thought is to play the video file in something like VLC on the server and see if the audio 'glitches' still occur.
Good idea. I'll give that a shot and see what the result is and post back. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
So when playing back the recorded tv files (the ones that display the drop-outs when played back via the Sagetv extender) directly off the HTPC through VLC, there are no drop-outs. Same receiver, same file. Direct playback through VLC shows no drop-outs. Playback through the HD200 has drop-outs every 10-15 seconds or so.

Again, this is for all files recorded through only one of my two Hauppauge HD-PVRs (the newer one listed in Sage as the "Sienna".

Any other thoughts on how to continue to debug?
Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Next, copy a known problem file to a flash drive, plug the flash drive into the HD200, and play it directly, no network involved. Do the audio glitches persist?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Next, copy a known problem file to a flash drive, plug the flash drive into the HD200, and play it directly, no network involved. Do the audio glitches persist?
Took me a little while to find a flash drive big enough to handle a file from the HD-PVR, but finally did, and yes, the audio glitches persist when playing back directly from the flash drive.

So it plays back fine through an alternate receiver (regardless of how it's played back) and it plays back fine on the offending receiver if it's played directly off the HTPC via VLC, but the HD200/receiver combo seems to have dropouts whichever which way I've tried the playback so far.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

What is the exact model number of the receiver giving you the problems, and explain the system wiring.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Sage Expert

Onkyo TX-SR805.

I've got a much cheaper but slightly newer Onkyo HT-RC230 that does not exhibit the same problem.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Sage Icon

During your testing:

How was the HTPC connected to the receiver?

How was the HD200 connected to the receiver?

Does the receiver report that it's receiving the same audio stream type on both the HTPC and the HD200?

When the audio drops when playing from the HD200, does the amp report that the signal is lost for just a second?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

A little off-topic here maybe, but there is a lot of talk about adding fans to that receiver. Have you done any modifications to it yet?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Been using an Intergra DTR 8.8 (basically Onkyo 905) as main zone work horse since 2006/7ish. HD200 is one input (HDMI) and recording with HDPVR Rev E. so can share my experience on a similar setup.

Did these glitches just show up or have they always been there? Is it when it goes to commercials or random?

I did get all the sudden glitches and short while later on server reboot the HD PVR wasn't showing up in windows due to bad power supply on HD PVR.

As for receivers, HDMI issues seem to be one of the most common failures regardless of the manufacturer. HDMI cords and just switching ports sometimes can fix. I usually turn off all the video processing(noise reduction, etc .) Sometimes the weight of the cords stress the ports.

As for you specific receiver, I don't think it has the Reon chip in it like the 905 so maybe a little different here. AVS forum has a thread that is pretty detailed on these receivers and just going from memory and haven't checked in a while try to give a summary of known issues of the 905...will be a little different than the 805.

-They do run hot by design.
-DTS bomb, audio dropouts when OSD enabled, and lip-sync. Some people had success turning off OSD for audio dropouts. Onyko had firmware to address this. To see what firmware your running think you hold down the display on front panel while pressing power to cycle threw the information.
-Bad HDMI boards

Updating the firmware and DSPs is not as user friendly as todays new receivers and also has a risk of bricking. It involves a couple of files, one to be transferred to the receiver while in read/write mode by computer or usb(updates fireware for net/hdmi/main firmware etc). The second is ripped to a cd and played threw cd player, I think I used a ps3 at the time. This updates the DSPs. There is some risks though with eprom error so would only do this as last resort. The how to and firmware revs are on AVS forums as well, actually used the files from there as they were newer then what the dealer could get at that time or on Onkyo official website. My only issue with mine was the DTS Bomb when playing certain movies which was fixed in the firmware. Something to keep in back of mind but would see if problem lies elsewhere first.

Last edited by ccsmoke; 11-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Sage Expert

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry it's taken me a while due to some traveling to get to do some additional testing.

1. HTPC and HD200 are both connected by HDMI to the same receiver. (I've tried swapping HDMI cables.)

2. I'm not sure how to tell what type of audio signal the receiver thinks it's receiving, but that'd be interesting to see. I only see what mode the receiver is in. There are various modes tied to various audio signal types, but I do know it shows the same mode with both - Ultra2 Cinema - and changing the modes manually hasn't made a difference.

3. The receiver does not show any evidence of the dropouts when they occur. No lost signal or changes to the display.

4. No mods done to the receiver.

5. I don't remember when I first noticed the glitches (it's been a while) and since it's only off of content from 1 of our 4 tuners, it never happened frequently enough for me to notice that it had definitely just started. I sort of realized it over time after assuming for a while that they were just dropouts from the satellite signal or something.

6. I have verified that the glitches don't happen at the same time in the file when you play it back. Jumping back 10 seconds after you hear a glitch and playing the same portion of the recording does not result in hearing the glitch again at the same time.

7. I'm not really interested in trying to update the firmware given the complexity apparently involved. This is an annoyance, but not the end of the world, and now that I know about it if there's a critical recording that I want to avoid it, I can make sure it gets recorded on the other HD-PVR that doesn't have the same problem.

If I run into a dead-end here, presumably at some point I'll end up either not using the HD200s anymore or getting a different receiver, or replacing the HD-PVR. My gut is that eventually hardware changes will cause it to work itself out if I can't come up with a solution in the meantime. But I'm really appreciative of all the suggestions.