SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
No argument there, I said earlier I'm still using a 12 year old MX-500. My point was, I don't need anything the mx-500 does, other than the great button layout. I am never in more than a single 'mode', and rarely use any buttons on the LCD. The IR transmitter on it is so strong, it's practically RF, in that it can pretty much point just about anywhere in the living room and it's going to bounce off the walls enough to hit my USB-UIRT sitting atop my television.
Yup, my setup is considerably more complex, consisting of two projectors (for the time being) a video processor, SSP, HD300, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Blu-ray player, I dare say my system would be unusable without a good remote with macros. And all that is hiding in a cabinet behind the seating so RF is a must.

In the upstairs I'm using a URC R50, which is a nice, program-on-the-remote device, but with the great URC build quality and decent layout. If I were doing it again, I'd probably get the MX450 which is basically the same remote but supports RF.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

The original and now discontinued Harmony One has been the best remote I owned. Compared to the 880/890, the buttons are larger, the number pad is much easier to use, and the buttons in general have a better feel and reliability than the 880/890. For Sage browsing, it has a great button locations for the page up / page down function. The charging cradle is less fussy and an RF variant is available (Harmony 900). If mine died, I would buy another one off Ebay, new remotes are still available.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm using 3 harmony ones and 1 smart home ultimate. I did have a battery swell on one of the ones and Logitech replaced the whole remote for free 2 years after warranty expired. Since then they changed batteries so need to becareful with aftermarket ones. I love the layout and longevity of the ones.

The smart home ultimate is getting replaced by the elite which has more of a layout similar to the one and prolly what I would recommend though prolly closer MSRP as it was just released. The touchscreen is higher than the older version and does provide vibration feedback. Though not sure if it backlight like the smart home ultimate. The hub is capable of bluetooth, ip, ir. The remote is rf so is possilbe to extend it out to 100 feet with 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. An extender can be addeded for zwave and zigabee for $100.00 which wish they would have just updated the hub instead. When I get time, like to test the multi zone capabilities as I have a receiver that with actually do digital input to zone2 both audio and video which most only do analog inputs. Concern is Harmony may only allow one activity at a time (home automation stuff doesn't count as an activity)

The extender is not needed to control hue lighting as the have access to the api. Control 4 did release the api but logitech will only do it threw email so not open.

The app, at least for ios, syncs very well with hub, remote and multiple devices. Currently have 4 ipads, iphone 5s and if button is pushed it updated on app with very little delay. It has basic capabilities to add/edit devices/activities. The more indepth icon changes, button editing, layout editing comes through the computer interface. Each button can have 2 commands, long press and short press.

It has IF (IFTTT) intergration though is a delay for the trigger but for me has been reliable.

I'm controlling 33 hue lights, Optoma projector, Denon X3000, blu ray, Sagetv, appletv, mac mini, gaming rig. Works good but sagetv default needs tweaking. Projector sometimes stays on as it double power off config. Help button hits 100% so need mess with a delay.

You can have 2 remotes per hub but only one can be a touchscreen. One negative is once you pair it, it locked to that hub.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Last edited by ccsmoke; 11-21-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 PM
Sage Expert

I'm primarily in the JP1-enabled remotes camp. The newer ones that I'm currently using are Insignia-branded. A couple of those are backlit, so they work well in home-theater environments. I usually take one of them with me on vacations and business trips where I can create configurations for various STBs and TVs.

I also use a couple of MX-500s, which are still going strong after years of use ...
Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmoke View Post
I'm using 3 harmony ones and 1 smart home ultimate.
The other thing that I like about the Harmony Hub based remotes is that you can control them through third party apps including the command line. Harmony hasn't released an API but folks have reverse engineered it using network sniffers.

There is stuff available in Python and a Windows Command line program here.

The nice thing about that is you can create a page like the Sage Web Remote but you can control your entire AV system.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Not that I don't see the value in IP based control (would be handy for automation systems) but am I the only one who doesn't want to control everything with a computer/touchscreen?

Give me some real buttons.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Not that I don't see the value in IP based control (would be handy for automation systems) but am I the only one who doesn't want to control everything with a computer/touchscreen?

Give me some real buttons.
I agree completely, but it is nice to have the fallback of using a phone/tablet if you can't find the real remote.

There are other advantages - like if you are going downstairs to watch Sage you can start it on your phone so that it is on and ready to go when you get there. Plus with this setup you can integrate it into your HA system so you can control it centrally but pick up the remote and have it aware of the correct state of each device. And you can integrate into stuff like IFTTT for cool stuff like geofencing - you come home and the TV turns on, starts the Sage activity, etc.

The Harmony apps also have gesture based commands that work well on a touch screen without you requiring to look at them. Tap the screen once to pause, tap twice to play. Swipe right for SkipFwd, swipe right and hold for SkipFwdX2, etc. Using two fingers instead of one for any of the above can send different commands. Not quite as good as real buttons but works pretty well.