SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69 Send a message via Skype™ to wbarber69
many of the original hdpvrs from back in the day would come with bad electrolytic capacitors installed in them. back from the era of the counterfeit electrolytic gel scandal of the early 2000's. not many of these units exist today, and it even effected the first run of sagetv boxes. that coupled with failing power supplies can cause all kinds of headaches. ive found that its also crucial to toss out any usb cables that dont have ferrite cores on either end of the cable. I used to have to deal with the daily restart setup as well until i got a new pc to run everything on. Apparently its more likely that your usb ports go out than anythinbg else. my last computer went through 3 usb add on cards over its lifetime. But it can also be from the sudio issues previously stated by other users. im having one give me problems now and im starting to lean towards the digital to toslink adapter on this particular unit, which sucks because they dont exist anywhere anymore. I knew i should have bought extra when they were available.... maybe its the psu to toslink adapter and hopefully a new supply will fix it. Im leaning towards getting a meanwell 5V Psu and wiring up everything to that.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage User

Hi all, I've got an old HD-PVR that's been reliable for years, but now it's starting to flake out on me every couple weeks or so (a hard reboot fixes the issue). I'm running Sage on Linux. I am considering adding a fan, as it might be a heat issue, but odds are my problem will only get worse with time...

I was looking at this page: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...recorders.html and was curious if anyone's tried the HD PVR 60? 60 fps recording would be nice (heck, since I've been recording 1080i via component cables, just going to 1080p via HDMI would be a step up).

I have seen people say the HD PVR 2 works -- can anyone confirm this works well on Linux? After years of tinkering with Sage back in the early 2010's, my last several years have been really stable, so I've gotten a bit spoiled on being able to leave Sage running quietly for months at a time... I don't really want to go back to regular reboots, etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

1080p would be nice, but I am pretty sure that the TV spec for HD is 720p and 1080i so you won't be getting any 1080p content from TV sources.

The other issue is that I think you would need to break HDCP when using HDMI inputs for Hauppauge devices. The BM1000 types of devices, like this: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63177
may be the way to go in the future, and they have the added benefit of being network devices like an HDHR. There are some such devices which can capture 4K TV so that is also very interesting.

Maybe the best way to go if you want to stick the the HD-PVR is to buy used ones at eBay that you can get for under $50.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtimmes View Post
Hi all, I've got an old HD-PVR that's been reliable for years, but now it's starting to flake out on me every couple weeks or so (a hard reboot fixes the issue). I'm running Sage on Linux. I am considering adding a fan, as it might be a heat issue, but odds are my problem will only get worse with time...

See my post earlier in this thread. It's probably the power supply. I got another one but they only last a year or so. So, I decided to just hook it to the 5v power supply in my computer so that it's now powered by my computer. I've had no problems since. Just be sure to use the red (5 volt) cable and not the yellow one. Otherwise, get another power supply.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I was looking at this page: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...recorders.html and was curious if anyone's tried the HD PVR 60? 60 fps recording would be nice (heck, since I've been recording 1080i via component cables, just going to 1080p via HDMI would be a step up).

I have seen people say the HD PVR 2 works -- can anyone confirm this works well on Linux? After years of tinkering with Sage back in the early 2010's, my last several years have been really stable, so I've gotten a bit spoiled on being able to leave Sage running quietly for months at a time... I don't really want to go back to regular reboots, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "flakes out"? Does it give bad recordings, or just not record at all?
In the past I would routinely get my original HD-PVR to lock up, no channel changing, no recordings, SageTV just wouldn't talk to it. Actually SageTV was talking it was just that the HD-PVR was locked up. A reboot of the HD-PVR would fix the problem.
I never was able to 100% figure out what was going on, but have my suspicions that it was bad TV signal. It would always lock up during, or soon after a recording with drops, or artifacts. If it had good signal quaility it would run for weeks with no problem. Bad signal and it would lock up pretty quickly.
My uninformed suspicion is that some pointer, or buffer was maxing out from the signal errors and it would lock up the firmware.

Again, I could never "prove" that but after doing a lot of work on making sure it had a better signal the thing almost never locks up any more.

I have had power supply issues with both of my HD-PVRs at times in the past as well. Usually showing up as the device would lose its USB connection to the computer, or else horrendously bad recordings if it would record at all.
Usually also showing as a much dimmer blue power light (at the power button not the stupid bling ring around the upper case) Testing with a meter would show wildly fluctuating power at the plug into the HD-PVR from the wall wart. Going from very low to almost making it to the rated voltage.

Last edited by waynedunham; 04-30-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: speeling arrors. ;)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have seen people say the HD PVR 2 works -- can anyone confirm this works well on Linux?
I have been meaning to post a more complete message about my recent experience with the HDPVR2 under Linux but in summary:

Yes, it works.

For the last several months I have been running 2x HDPVR2s (Gaming Edition Plus with Surround Sound) running on Ubuntu 16.04 and SageTV 9.1.7 (Java 1.8).

I have been using the HauppaugeUSB project (https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB) which is a wrapper + fixes for the Hauppauge Linux code to pull content from the HDPVR2.

I am using my prime_encoder project (https://github.com/jwittkoski/prime_encoder) to act as a network encoder and run the necessary commands to do the tuning and the recording. You should also be able to use the OpenDCT plugin and configure a custom "Generic Pipe Capture Device" to do the same thing.

I have had no bad recordings since early January (approx 133 recordings over that time on those two devices). In my opinion the HDPVR2s have been more stable than the original HDPVRs I had been using (not that I had many problems, but they would occasionally flake out when they started a recording if they hadn't been used in a while).

I am capturing over HDMI (video and audio) and 5.1 sound works. I also had tested using the component + SPDIF audio and I believe that worked as well.

--John
Old 05-01-2019, 06:22 AM
Sage User

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify, by "flaking out", I mean that when Sage attempts to start a recording (either a scheduled recording, or watching live it), it gives an error dialog on the HD300 UI... I didn't write down the exact message, but it's something along the lines of "Error initializing software compression". To resolve, I disconnect power to the HD PVR, wait 10 seconds, reconnect power, and reboot Linux so it reinitializes the HD PVR.

By the way, my source is DirecTV, and I'm tuning via ethernet, so my HD PVR is only used as an encoder, not used to tune the source.

That's great news that the HD PVR 2's work, but based on everyone's input, I'm going to try a new power supply for the existing HD PVR first. I'm tempted to try mounting a fan on the HD PVR too (like explained here: http://www.silverfoxdan.com/blog/201...oling-fan-mod/), but I'm going to start simple. If the power supply doesn't clear things up, then I'll decide whether to add a fan, or try a used HD PVR off ebay, or pick up a new HD PVR 2.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

The problems that I get when I am having issues with my HD-PVR tend to produce error messages like this:

Halt Detected in Recording
(x1)
Mon, Apr 29
9:58:06 PM
Warning Message Details

The device input "Hauppauge HD PVR 00A65EC9 Component+SPDIF" stopped producing data while recording "NBA Basketball" on TSN3HD on physical channel 496. SageTV will try to reset the device. This may be caused by a channel that is no longer available.

This may happen infrequently, like once or twice during a show, or it may happen dozens of times during a program. While playing back the recording these will often be "blips" where the playback breaks up and you miss about 5-10 seconds of the show. This will also cause SageTV to create a new file so that you may get a lot of files with -0, -1, -2 suffixes.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The problems that I get when I am having issues with my HD-PVR tend to produce error messages like this:

(x1)
Mon, Apr 29
Warning Message Details

The device input "Hauppauge HD PVR 00A65EC9 Component+SPDIF" stopped producing data while recording "NBA Basketball" on TSN3HD on physical channel 496. SageTV will try to reset the device. This may be caused by a channel that is no longer available.

This may happen infrequently, like once or twice during a show, or it may happen dozens of times during a program. While playing back the recording these will often be "blips" where the playback breaks up and you miss about 5-10 seconds of the show. This will also cause SageTV to create a new file so that you may get a lot of files with -0, -1, -2 suffixes.
I had the same experience with the my HDPVRs.

--John
Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

(x1)
Mon, Apr 29
Warning Message Details

In my experience with my system those look like signal issues. I suppose it could be some kind of buffer issue, but on my system it was always a signal issue. As you say when you'd reach that portion of the recording you'd see a dropout, or artifacts. And yes if you looked at the recordings details you'd probably see multiple recording segments relating to those messages.

I did a lot of work trying to get a better signal to the STB to keep that from happening. On one of my servers I have too many splits and one of my HDHR Primes I have to make sure that I keep certain channels from recording on that HDHR Prime since I can't get a consistent signal on that tuner. So I moved the priority of that HDHR Prime to below the other 2 HDHR Prime tuners I have from another HDHR Prime that doesn't have signal issues on certain channels.

So basically what I'm saying it I'd look at your signal quality going into the STB. How many splits? Cable quality? And also take note if the problems are always on the same channel(s). I have had instances in the past where the cable company came out and found that certain frequency bands were out of spec on my incoming cable from the street and they had to go adjust the signal amps on my cable node. This used to happen every time it went from winter to summer and vice versa. However the last few years it has stayed good. The probably replaced the signal amps with a better/newer model?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have also noticed that along with the signal quality as mentioned, it is very dependent on AUDIO quality when using the SPDIF connection. I believe the HD-PVR will not even start a recording if the audio signal is not received properly.

I had so many issues with one STB having these types of issues that I changed it to analog audio and it recorded without problems - just only stereo though.

So it was NOT my HD-PVR but my signal source and specifically the audio output.

Not saying this has anything to do with your issue but I just wanted to mention the importance of the audio stream to the HD-PVR
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.7.2/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:SA3250HD, SA4250HD, SA4250HD, CISCO4642HD, ROGERS CABLE-ON, CANADA
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69 Send a message via Skype™ to wbarber69
Iíve had issues like this since the hdpvr came on the market. I used to see one or two of these errors a week. Iíve gotten that number down to zero. All Iíve done is build out my own 5v power supply that can power up to 5 hdpvrs at a time. I can adjust the voltage output and monitor the amp draw of the units. Since I put it to use Iíve not had a single recording error due to a problem with hdpvrs. Not a single hdpvr issue. I have had, memory leak errors from not restarting my system for 3 weeks. I have had partial recordings due to me trying to break the hdpvrs by spamming channel changes. I have had entire recordings record the signal lost screen of the dtv box because of bad weather. But I have not had a single error from the 4 hdpvrs I have running. Hdpvs suffer from poor power supplies. Iím convinced of that now. Iíve even bought new hauppauge supplied wall warts over the years and have plugged in brand new power supplies that still produced errors eventually. And I donít think itís the power supplies fault, but more to do with use of thin stranded wire used to supply the power. Along with my new all in one power unit, I use shielded, tinned 18g wire to supply my power. Yes itís overkill but itís far better than the thin unshielded crap they originally supplied you with.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Sage User

Just posting an update for anyone who finds this thread useful... I did buy a new power supply for my HD-PVR, but tonight I ran into the same problem that I'd been seeing before. This time I wrote down the exact error message displayed on the HD300:

There was a Capture Error in playback. Details:
ERROR (1016,0x6e): There was a problem setting up software audio compression.

I suspect my HD-PVR, which is 9 years old (I looked it up on newegg, I bought it in March 2010, and it's been in service on my Sage server ever since) is just dying a slow, graceful death. I found one on ebay that claims it's never been used, we'll see if that solves my problem. Fingers crossed (and if the problem persists, I'll post it back here and keep trying until I get back to long term stability).
Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Sage Expert

its not unlikely for a unit to fail after some time. but i too am running units that are 10 years old and stabilizing my power supply is what got them running flawlessly. new power supplies dont necessarily mean they will fix your issues. I actually believe that its not the wall warts at all, but the size of the wire they use. When i built my power supply unit, i never intended anymore than to reduce the amount of plugs i was using and mayne lessen the heat generated by them all. I never had any intention on fixing random recording failures. But thats exactly what happened. My system used to throw up at least one a week if not more, sometimes multiples in a day. Ive even added more hdpvrs since then and I have had NOT ONE SINGLE FAILURE since the day i first posted my completed power supply. its been over a month now. not one single failed recording. The hdpvr is an absolute beast, as long as its properly fed.