SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

What is the setting for % of time to mark a show "Watched"?

I regularly have cases where I watch a show to near the end, and get interrupted. Either have to do something else, or the show has reached live, and I have to watch something else until the first show finishes.

The problem is there is some point near the end where SageTV assumes you're done watching and marks it Watched. When returning to the show, it starts from the beginning rather than the point where you stopped previously.

There is a setting for "Reset Watched Shows when played again", but that doesn't offer a way to set how "watched" is calculated.

There is a setting to "Ask to resume or restart partially watched shows", but it is already yes, and in the situation above, it doesn't ask.

Is there another setting to set the threshold for considering a show watched for the purpose of resume vs restart? Like "2 minutes from end"?
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

That would be a good thing to know. But from my observations, it seems to to vary. I've experienced a showed being tagged as watched way earlier than other shows for a given program length. And the other extreme as well. If I remember, I'll make note of some just to make sure I'm not crazy.

Doesn't answer your question, but may indicate it's more than just a single variable.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 AM
Sage Icon

Looks like it’s a hardwired to be 5 minutes from the end for shows and 10 minutes for movies.

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...other.java#L22

It would be a simple code change to make those constants come from a configurable property in sage.properties.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

There is a setting to change this somewhere in the options. This used to drive me nuts - especially for sporting events that run long and have end padding added.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

Have you tried setting the “Always ask whether to resume or restart...” setting to “No”? Then i think it always starts where it was last watched. Ours is set that way and I don’t remember ever running into a restart when I didn’t want it to.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Have you tried setting the “Always ask whether to resume or restart...” setting to “No”? Then i think it always starts where it was last watched. Ours is set that way and I don’t remember ever running into a restart when I didn’t want it to.
I finally figured out what I was seeing as a varying "watched" status to shows. It seems to relate to the "run time" variable of a recording's metadata, seen in the recording detail under "Aired on", rather than show length. I only see this item on programs with commercials (my PBS programs don't include run time). If a program shows run time of 25 minutes, but recording length is 30, it gets "Watched" at the 20 minute mark.

And I also changed the setting wnjj notes above. In "Detailed Setup>Customize", I confirmed setting that parameter to "no" seems to resume a recording where previously stopped, regardless of watched status, which is much better.

Can't speak to partially recorded shows or imported videos.

Cheers
Old 07-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'll try setting the “Always ask whether to resume or restart...” setting to “No”.

However, it seems it is still not quite the right behavior.

The current behavior (as I understand/experience it) when the setting is yes.
  • Show is watched for duration below threshold: Ask resume/restart.
  • Show is watched for duration above threshold: Don't ask, but always restart.

This behavior causes me to have to fast-forward from start to end of show to resume at a point in the last 5 minutes.

Assumed behavior if setting is "no"
  • Always resume, never offer option to restart

This behavior causes me (or someone else) to have to rewind from resume point to start to restart the show if partially watched.

Desired behavior
  • Always offer option to resume or restart for partially watched shows, regardless of how much has been watched.

Actually that sounds like the proper behavior based on the text of the option: "Always ask whether to resume or restart partially watched videos"
HD300 extender with SageTV V9.1.10 (service mode), Running on Windows 7 (32 bit), E8400 3GHz dual core CPU, 4G RAM, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. NVidia 8600GT; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun tuner, HD-PVR Rev E1. HD-PVR 2 connected to Google Fiber GFHD200.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
I'll try setting the “Always ask whether to resume or restart...” setting to “No”.

However, it seems it is still not quite the right behavior.

The current behavior (as I understand/experience it) when the setting is yes.
  • Show is watched for duration below threshold: Ask resume/restart.
  • Show is watched for duration above threshold: Don't ask, but always restart.

This behavior causes me to have to fast-forward from start to end of show to resume at a point in the last 5 minutes.

Assumed behavior if setting is "no"
  • Always resume, never offer option to restart

This behavior causes me (or someone else) to have to rewind from resume point to start to restart the show if partially watched.

Desired behavior
  • Always offer option to resume or restart for partially watched shows, regardless of how much has been watched.

Actually that sounds like the proper behavior based on the text of the option: "Always ask whether to resume or restart partially watched videos"
The ask option does do that. It’s just that the devs had a different opinion about what was considered “watched” and apparently the show lengths mess with the determination.

With the don’t ask option (all we’ve ever used) we just fast forward until the show ends and replay if we want to start over. It’s faster that way. I think I turned the option to “no” on day one because I hate being asked every time.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use a mouse for a remote control, so restarting or picking a playback point is a simple point and click.

One thing which may help is to select the recording and and toggle the "watched" status. It will put the recording back to the beginning. I opt to display "Advanced Options" when I select a recording, but I have to believe watched status also shows up on basic display options.

I'd try it with the basic but I think I have to go into detailed setup to set it back and can never find it.

After testing on a few programs, I've found a recording can be considered watched about half way thru it. An episode of Friends, for example, has a runtime of 23 minutes and show length of 30. So it showed watched at 18. And as TV episodes have increasingly shrunk over the years, I suspect the watched status will continue to lose meaning.