SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to syversen
Question Feature request/inquiries

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what the status/plans are on some PVR features are. Here goes:

1) Ability to (truly) automatically skip commercials. Most importantly, have the commercials removed before storing on the HD making archiving later trivial. This functionality is currently available for OS projects like Myth (but of course you gotta deal with a lot more headaches getting it set up and administered!)

2) Track shows that move. Does the software recognize when something gets bumped (say for a presidential speech, or just broadcaster reorganizations)?

3) Ability to configure programming over the web. I don't how often I personally would use this feature, but it just seems to darn cool to not have. :-)

4) Support SW encoder cards? They're a lot cheaper (although the way the PVR250 is coming down that might not be so true). There are plenty of SW MPEG2 encoders out there and the average CPU is more then capable of encoding on at least one tuner. (I bought a WinTV dbx and PVR250 with this architecture in mind!)

5) Automatically allow archiving to CD/DVD. I know that this would involve playing with third-party drivers but this would also be an AWESOME feature to have. If you record some favorite show and can just select "archive to DVDRW" from the menu and get a commercial free recording on permanent media that's a killer feature , and the only one I've listed here not really available elsewhere (that I know of).

6) Provide an HTPC like interface for people using this in a set-top box configuration. This could be done by either utilizing open source projects like (the aptly named) HTPC or writing your own. Maybe this isn't even needed but it seems to me it would be inconvenient to try and navigate around Windows with a remote control.

- Jason
Old 06-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Sage

1 - Through a plugin architecture that supports generic stream bookmarking/taggin I will happily support a feature like this in the future. But it's too much of a dangerous legal area for us to implement directly at this point.
2 - Yes it does this
3 - Not currently, but we'll be doing this in the future. We do have networking support so you could use the SageTVClient over the Internet to schedule things, but you can't just do it from a web browser at this point; you need to have SageTVClient installed on that machine.
4 - We're looking into this and will support them to some degree (at least for live TV viewing) in the future. But IMHO there's far too many issues with compatability and these cards to build a really stable product on them. If you want a real recording solution, then hardware encoding is the only choice. And as you noticed, prices are dropping on those cards, and I'm sure they're only going to drop more in the future.
5 - If someone comes across a command line way to burn a CD/DVD then I'd love to integrate a simple command from SageTV to do this, but I haven't heard of any solution like that that's available currently.
6 - Not sure what you mean by this....we currently have an interface like you describe....or do you mean something else?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Re remote programming, VNC works very nicely for that...
(see www.realvnc.com)
Old 06-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Sage User

I don't think it will compensate for an unscheduled presidential address. I'd love to see some PVR that can "read" the show titles that are transmitted. We had a TV in our break room at work that would display the Show Name, Length, and Rating. I understand that information is transmitted by some stations in the Horizontal Blanking area (similar to CC).
Old 06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

If your XP, RDP is so much better than VNC

Quote:
Originally posted by David Lawrance
Re remote programming, VNC works very nicely for that...
(see www.realvnc.com)
Old 06-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not true. If you use XP, you can only remote control the application if you started it at the console. You can't start SageTV remotely, since the "multimedia" devices will be unavailable in the stripped down terminal session. Only way to effectively control the machine remotely, is using some sort of VNC. I have to do it this way since my SageTV server is hidden away in a room without any monitor, keyboard or mouse (it might be something that you can turn on though, if someone knows how to make the video capture devices available in XP remote sessions, I'd be happy to know!)

While I agree that XP's RDP support generally beats everything out there (use Remote Desktop to bring up my home machine on one of my monitors at work, have a dual display machine), I really do think that UltraVNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) is faster than RDP, and almost as useful. Only thing I miss is the ability to hear sounds remotely.