SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

How to know what shows are broadcast with 5.1 sound?

Trying to confirm whether my sage setup is able to use 5.1 sound from the colossus, but cannot figure how to confirm which shows are broadcast that way in the first place

My hd300 sees 5.1 surround from ripped dvds, so I know the client (extender, tv, receiver) is setup correctly. I have yet to hear 5.1 coming from the colossus (component + spdif), but I am not sure how to tell what channels/shows are 5.1. I do not have any premium movie channels, but there is a free EpixHD trial. This morining it was not outputting 5.1, but can't tell if the movie was 5.1.

how do you know?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
Trying to confirm whether my sage setup is able to use 5.1 sound from the colossus, but cannot figure how to confirm which shows are broadcast that way in the first place

My hd300 sees 5.1 surround from ripped dvds, so I know the client (extender, tv, receiver) is setup correctly. I have yet to hear 5.1 coming from the colossus (component + spdif), but I am not sure how to tell what channels/shows are 5.1. I do not have any premium movie channels, but there is a free EpixHD trial. This morining it was not outputting 5.1, but can't tell if the movie was 5.1.

how do you know?
My recordings in the detailed descriptions page say either Stereo or 5.1 on them near the bottom when recorded on my Colossus, HD-PVR, ATSC or QAM. My nVidia DualTV recordings are always Stereo but that's all it is capable of.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Don't have TWC but you may have to go to audio settings on the TWC box and select dolby digital instead of HDMI audio and should get 5.1 on HD channels through coax or optical. Some STBs don't automatically detect the connection or can't have both active.