SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

HDMI Handshaking, or why I hate HTPCs

I have a very lightly used tower PC in my office (i3) but with mobo-level video, so I figured I'd get a GTX 750 and see if I can use it as an HTPC for light gaming too.

Yeah, now I remember why I *HATE* HTPCs. I have several source devices that feed an HDMI switching receiver, which then passes output to an HDMI splitter and feeds both a plasma and a PJ. The PJ is only used for movie night and gaming.

The freaking HTPC->receiver->splitter->display HDMI handshake won't work to start. I have to turn on plasma, put the cord from PC->plasma, get the vidcard to output, then put the cord back to receiver, at which point the handshake works.

AKA, its the "no effin way will the wife even remotely consider this" plan. And right now its the "no effin way will I do this" plan.

And to think I was contemplating a dedicated HTPC for the H/T. Blech.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Feel your frustration, but I don't think its the HTPCs fault as to the HDCPs fault. You have a lot of devices in the chain so I would probably start with the weakest link. Would remove the splitter and pj from the equation as I suspect the splitter. Test the TV a few times then test it with the pj without the tv.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Sage Icon

I sorta agree but I have a Roku, GTV, BluRay player, Sage HD300, none of which have an HDCP issue. Only the PC. (I do agree its likely the splitter, but thats the only way to let me pick at TV time whether to watch on the plasma or the PJ. Gaming on a 106" screen is awesome but it has to be at night as its uncontrolled lighting).
Old 06-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Other than maybe a power-saving setting on the pc side, I think the graphics card should have no trouble to display after the os is loaded. I have couple of Nvidia ti560s rigs hooked up to tvs. Had good success with Geforce Experience for quick setting saves, Steam's big picture and in home streaming from gaming rig downstairs. Now for the official xbox one controller driver, which should be soon.

The reason I question the switch is they are typically a problem child though newer revs are better. With HDCP 2.2 HDMI 1.3c active powered switch or better can amp and some even store info which is useful for long runs as you probably got 25-50ft ? yet to the projector.

You can just hook pc up to tv also and slowly add stuff to the chain if it passes.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
... The freaking HTPC->receiver->splitter->display HDMI handshake won't work to start. I have to turn on plasma, put the cord from PC->plasma, get the vidcard to output, then put the cord back to receiver, at which point the handshake works. ...
I had the very same issues when I switched to WMC. You need to get something like this: Gefen

There are SW based fixes as well, but I found the Gefen to be the best way to get around the EDID issues PC's have.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

oy, $130, ok. So I'd put that after the vidcard output but before the HDMI-switching receiver?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
oy, $130, ok. So I'd put that after the vidcard output but before the HDMI-switching receiver?
Look around, I got mine for $60. But yes right after the video card. I have mine on a short HDMI cable and attached to the AVR looking PC on the back.

Gefen on Amazon for $75

There are default settings on the Gefen to report back to the video card as well as the ability to read and store the EDID settings from the AVR or TV. I just use the default setting and life is good.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Look around, I got mine for $60. But yes right after the video card. I have mine on a short HDMI cable and attached to the AVR looking PC on the back.

Gefen on Amazon for $75

There are default settings on the Gefen to report back to the video card as well as the ability to read and store the EDID settings from the AVR or TV. I just use the default setting and life is good.
ok cool, just ordered one, lets hope.

I'd stick with non-HTPC, but PC games are freaking cheap and this could take the place of several devices. If only Amazon had a Windows 8 tile, this could be an awesome solution.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Maybe an ATI card instead before adding an extra device? $75 buys you a lot more card if you can get away without the Gefen
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Sage Icon

already have the EVGA GTX. And now realizing that ATI might have gotten away without this is why I hate HTPCs. Too much mucking around to make it work.

lets hope this passes WAF, and I can find a way to power up/down so I don't run up power bill. Otherwise it'll all be for naught and I'll throw it all out and just get another GoogleTV.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... and I can find a way to power up/down so I don't run up power bill. ...
You can always use an MCE remote which can also be setup for SageTv as well or at least learn in the power commands to your URC.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You can always use an MCE remote which can also be setup for SageTv as well or at least learn in the power commands to your URC.
Power down seems simple enough as I can just have train CQC with that command and issue a shutdown DOS command. Did you buy an aftermarket CIR module, or did you have a mobo with it on it?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... Did you buy an aftermarket CIR module, or did you have a mobo with it on it?
No the on boards won't load the M$ driver needed for proper control of the eHome system. So I used the M$ IR receiver and broke out the receiver and placed it behind the ir window in my case, but again I am using WMC. So I am also using the TCP control of it. For Sage you might be able to do the same with the IP control plugin.

If your using structured IR then pull a mono 3.5 mm cable for of your network and wire it up direct. That works great. Otherwise just hide the eye sore behind the PC.

Something like this would do just fine.

Last edited by Skybolt; 06-12-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Gefen on Amazon for $75

Cheers mate, that device seems to have done the trick.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Cheers mate, that device seems to have done the trick.
Glad to hear it, good luck!