SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

It's finally goodbye to BeyondTV

http://www.snapstream.com/goodbye_beyondtv/

This was my first DVR software and it's too bad it was abandoned like SageTV .
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Didn't they abandon it like two years before SageTV was purchased? But then continue to sell it?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Sage User

oh man WOW! I too had beyondTV and bought sagetv 2 months before they sold to google. i think i had BTV for ~4 years. yeah they've dropped off a LONG time ago. I guess now its official.

Last edited by w4rh4wk; 08-12-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Didn't they abandon it like two years before SageTV was purchased? But then continue to sell it?
Yes, pretty much but they put their focus on their "enterprise product" and were not swallowed up by a huge company. So, there was still (slim) hope that work/enhancements would eventually trickle down to the consumer product. That hope is now officially gone.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Wow! I didn't even realize they still supported BeyondTV. It was my second HTPC software (after MediaPortal) and my wife & daughter called commercial skipping "smart-skip" for years after my switch to SageTV.

I never had much (hardly any) hope that Snapstream would ever go back to HTPC. They saw the money in the enterprise product and saw lots of expenses in the HTPC side to catch up with SageTV and MediaCenter so they went with the easier, more profitable choice.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Wow! I didn't even realize they still supported BeyondTV. It was my second HTPC software (after MediaPortal) and my wife & daughter called commercial skipping "smart-skip" for years after my switch to SageTV.

I never had much (hardly any) hope that Snapstream would ever go back to HTPC. They saw the money in the enterprise product and saw lots of expenses in the HTPC side to catch up with SageTV and MediaCenter so they went with the easier, more profitable choice.
This was my second DVR I started with Showshifter.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

BeyondTV was my first as well then 5 months later I switched to SageTV and didn't look back.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Sage User

My second - first was the a package that came with the ATI All-in-Wonder cards (gave up waiting for a stable product) - went to BeyondTV (happy for long time - liked scheduling recordings from the web) - left it when Colossus came out & thank goodness that I found Sage before the Google purchase.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

My first as well.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

My first real HTPC software too. Also started with the ATI bundled software for a couple days before moving on to BTV. Was MVP in their forums and helped on the Firefly beta testing.

Scary that there are no real good solid and live solutions now. Still very happy with SageTV as is, but it'd be nice to have a replacement.
Eric
Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

My first HTPC software and also my first skin/theme...

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24113

PS- Still using Sagetv every day
Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Sage Expert

I may have tested out ATI All in Wonder software, but quickly started with BTV. I almost switched to STV in the beginning, but didn't switch for about 3 or 4 years after I started DVR. And ever since I switched to STV, I have been much happier.

This announcement was a formality to make it official IMHO. I would stop by their forums every 6 months or so to see if there were any updates. I remember one time I stopped by and there was a comment by one of the Snapstream Owners of, I didn't know anyone was still posting in this forum.

God I hope STV does not go the same way.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Sage Icon

I liked BeyondTV. It worked really well for TV. Only went to SageTV because I wanted Music and Movies and TV in the same interface. Joined here in June 2008 so I guess that is when I switched. Seems like BeyondTV announced the end of continued development not long after. Seems like they should have stopped selling it then but I guess it is like here where people with existing setups might have wanted\needed additional licenses.

Still would be great if Google would allow server\client sales or to open up the whole thing to open source. Seems like they justify it by collecting anonymiss watching data. If it was free and connected to Google I bet that it would have 5x the users SageTV ever did.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Sage Expert

I started with beyondtv as well. I also got beyond media but last I checked their server won't validate the beyond media install. I went a whole year with beyondtv on a win xp machine and had it plugged it into a ups. I didn't have to restart it for a year!. it was very stable but as someone else mentioned I needed more for movies and customizing. I tried sagetv 2 at one point but it was unreliable so I went back to beyond tv. Then beyond tv stopped updating it for a while and I have been with sagetv since 2008 and haven't looked back. I just hope that if the sage server goes down, we have a way to install plugins if we have to reinstall. Slugger has made the program guide plugin which works great so the loss of plugins when /if needing to reinstall is my only worry. I too have occasionally looked for something that is at least as good as sagetv and haven't found one yet and don't believe I will because with the new dvrs taht are available I don't think programmers feel it is worth their while to create something like sage or better.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

That is the problem I see some of the Plugin Developers have left SageTV ...if where their code is stored is moved or changed the plugin Install will not work. What I did was Start from Scratch and Just Installed the plugins that are absolutely necessary for my setup.

I then backed up the full sagetv folder. I did the same thing with my clients I have tested my restore method even to other computers and am quite satisfied.

These are the plugins I use.

Comskip.
Webserver

CMT must have in order to create properties files for all recordings in the event the wiz.bin cannot be recovered.

BMT

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
That is the problem I see some of the Plugin Developers have left SageTV ...
Many of us are still here, lurking. If I saw a future for the product I would gladly do more work.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Many of us are still here, lurking. If I saw a future for the product I would gladly do more work.
Your work and others is much appreciated. The problem is I really do not see a future in SAGETV as a mediaplayer and organizer ... I still see it as just a great PVR. Sage refushes to play using EVR and H264 on two of my clients crashes the pc. If there was a way to not use the old builtin sagetv mpegdemux that would help. Also sagetvtranscoder is outdated and so is the sagetvplayer.

PS every other product that I have tested that is currently supported has no problem playing files that Sage cannot.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-17-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner Send a message via Skype™ to mikejaner
Snapstream had a good product until they decided to make the extremely stupid decision to dedicate their entire focus to chasing down the commercial market for subtitle searching. You could see the lack of interest in features and bug fixes about a year before they announced the shift, and it was all over for them. Not sad about this.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Snapstream had a good product until they decided to make the extremely stupid decision to dedicate their entire focus to chasing down the commercial market for subtitle searching. You could see the lack of interest in features and bug fixes about a year before they announced the shift, and it was all over for them. Not sad about this.
Um, I'm pretty sure that today Snapstream (Rakesh at least) is very happy with their decision to focus on the commercial market. The year they did that was the year they became profitable for the first time and their business has done very, very well since. I completely understand why they did what they did. I didn't like it as a BeyondTV user, but I do understand it. http://www.snapstream.com/
Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Um, I'm pretty sure that today Snapstream (Rakesh at least) is very happy with their decision to focus on the commercial market. The year they did that was the year they became profitable for the first time and their business has done very, very well since. I completely understand why they did what they did. I didn't like it as a BeyondTV user, but I do understand it. http://www.snapstream.com/
+1