SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Sage User

Getting nowhere!

I have been unable to get a satisfactorily operating version on Windows 10 and cannot get anything to work on Linux. Some history:

I have been a SageTV user for many years and when the EPG service was stopped, I successfully loaded 9.1.5 on my XP machine and got Schedules Direct to work.

Then I tried to load 9.1.10 onto a new windows 10 computer. and things have not gone at all well. 9.1.10 seems to need some Java software that I have been unable to load successfully. So I loaded 9.1.5 which seems to include the needed Java files and it sort of worked. I could load the EPG and watch a program but when I selected a program to record in the future, I usually got an error at record time. I eventually gave up and decided to try to get a Linux setup. I have made very little progress. I managed to create an Ubunto thumb drive that will boot my new Windows 10 machine in Linux. I found a Linux version of SageTV on the web (sagetv-client_9.1.10_amd64.deb) but when I try to install it in Linux, it says 3 files are missing - Java 5-runtime, java 5-sdk and libfaac0. I have no idea how to fix this. I can't find a 9.1.5 version for Linux which might include everything.

Most of the stuff on this forum seems to be written by advanced users who use language that is too sophisticated for me. What I need is a Linux installer that will include everything, just like the 9.1.5 that I put on my Win XP machine. Does something like this exist??

I need something that is step by step and includes all the info I need. Statements like "load the script into the Linux box" mean nothing to me. I am not into Linux programming.

I will continue to use my XP machine but if that craps out, I will be forced to give up on SageTV and I suspect that most other naive users like me will do likewise. Can someone create a simple Linux loader?? Or does one exist somewhere??
Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Although this reply is likely to sound harsh, please accept that it's intended to help out. It's absolutely not intended to flame, belittle or throw salt into any existing wounds. Those on these forums remember that we've all needed help at some point. Having said that...

It appears that you ARE getting somewhere. It's "Frustrated". And that's not going to be helpful with resolving whatever issues have been encountered. First, I'll offer the words that I frequently have to use on myself when I'm getting all wound up, trying to solve a problem that doesn't give itself to a quick resolution: Calm down. Take a deep breath. Ask for help BEFORE digging a deeper hole and getting more frustrated. Pick a horse and stick with it (e.g, if you're primarily a Windows guy, stick with Windows. Jumping into the Linux world is most likely to only cause a newer, greater level of frustration).

There are folks here who are ready, willing and able to help with getting Sage running. But it'll first require staying focused on one OS or the other, and ONE Sage version or another. Either way, your level of computer experience will determine how much help needs to come from the forums, at one point or another.

Please post back which OS you want to go with and a bit about the Sage environment. At a minimum, tell us which video capture devices are being used and what the playback device(s) is/are (HD200/300, Sage Client, etc). In the end, it's highly likely that all the settings & recordings from the old Sage-XP box can migrate to the new machine, if that's wanted.
System #1: Win7-64, Core2-Quad Q9400, 8 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB Mem, 2TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB Mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Which Linux Distro ?
What TV tuner do have ?.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapvr View Post
Then I tried to load 9.1.10 onto a new windows 10 computer. and things have not gone at all well. 9.1.10 seems to need some Java software that I have been unable to load successfully. So I loaded 9.1.5 which seems to include the needed Java files and it sort of worked. I could load the EPG and watch a program but when I selected a program to record in the future, I usually got an error at record time.
For SageTV, being a Linux user now, and a former Windows 10 user, I would think that getting Windows running would be the easier than learning Linux.

For my part, I learned Linux only because I had to, for work (quite a while ago). It can be a steep learning curve. Hmm, I wonder if the Ubuntu version you're loading would let you load the Docker Container version of SageTV.

In any case, SHS is correct. We need more information from you. We need to know all the hardware, tuners, cable or satellite companies (if any) involved in your set up and perhaps even the SageTV plug-ins you're using.

The error at record time sounds like a tuner issue, or a driver for a tuner. My guess, without more information, that drivers for XP do not function well under Windows 10. They are not supposed to. I retired a USB tuner for exactly that reason, when I moved from Win 7 to Win 10.

Erv.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Sage User

I finally got SageTV to work with Windows 10 although it was very difficult. I loaded 9.1.5 first and then loaded 9.1.10 on top of it. I simply could not load 9.1.10 directly - it ended up missing a file and I could not find the correct version of that file.
Loading the latest version should simply work - no missing files. The decision by developers to load the missing file separately was a major mistake as it messed me up and will mess up most potential users. It should be as easy as it was for me when I first loaded SageTV onto my Win XP computer (except for the EPG change).
Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapvr View Post
I finally got SageTV to work with Windows 10 although it was very difficult. I loaded 9.1.5 first and then loaded 9.1.10 on top of it. I simply could not load 9.1.10 directly - it ended up missing a file and I could not find the correct version of that file.
Loading the latest version should simply work - no missing files. The decision by developers to load the missing file separately was a major mistake as it messed me up and will mess up most potential users. It should be as easy as it was for me when I first loaded SageTV onto my Win XP computer (except for the EPG change).
Why are you not using the latest version? See signature.

k