SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I had been using Acronis Backup and Recovery, but Acronis has practically abandoned that line. I'd like to find something to migrate to, but I have't identified a great option.

I'd like something that will automatically do differential backups each night to my unRAID server. Preferably it would be grandfather-father-son backups, but I don't care too much as long as it does full backups monthly, incremental/differential backups regularly, and cleans up after itself.

TrueImage won't clean up after itself. Plus I'm concerned about some of the extra features it does these days (though I imagine I don't need to use secure zone, right?).

ShadowProtect looks pretty good, although I don't really feel like spending $200 on the 3-license pack for my systems.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Confirmed. I just tested the Drive to Drive function of DriveImageXML, and it cloned live. One note, make sure you create a parition on your target drive before you launch DriveImage, and make the partition active before you try to boot off it. You can even schedule jobs, so that might be useful.
did you clone a drive-to-drive, or a partition-to-partition?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'd like something that will automatically do differential backups each night to my unRAID server. Preferably it would be grandfather-father-son backups, but I don't care too much as long as it does full backups monthly, incremental/differential backups regularly, and cleans up after itself.
I've been searching extensively for a backup solution ever since downgrading from WHS v1 to the failure that is WHS 2011 and I'm pretty sure I'll be moving to EaseUs' Todo Backup. It's pretty inexpensive, too.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I've been searching extensively for a backup solution ever since downgrading from WHS v1 to the failure that is WHS 2011 and I'm pretty sure I'll be moving to EaseUs' Todo Backup. It's pretty inexpensive, too.
Looks pretty good. Out of curiosity, why that over True Image?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
did you clone a drive-to-drive, or a partition-to-partition?
Drive to drive. But for some reason it wanted the target to have a partition already. The cool thing is, unlike Acronis etc, it clones the live drive while windows is running. So all you have to do is change your boot order.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I had been using Acronis Backup and Recovery, but Acronis has practically abandoned that line. I'd like to find something to migrate to, but I have't identified a great option.

TrueImage won't clean up after itself. Plus I'm concerned about some of the extra features it does these days (though I imagine I don't need to use secure zone, right?).

ShadowProtect looks pretty good, although I don't really feel like spending $200 on the 3-license pack for my systems.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
You could just use Windows 7 backup. It works pretty well, and saved my SageTV box a couple of times. Pro even let's you send to a network target.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You could just use Windows 7 backup. It works pretty well, and saved my SageTV box a couple of times. Pro even let's you send to a network target.
I've tried it in the past. It's really barebones, and lacks some important features, particularly when backing up to a network location. Notably, you can only have one backup version at a time.

I've been reading up on TrueImage 2013. The backup scheduler looks quite a bit better. I still can't create a grandfather-father-son backup scheme with it, but I can tell it to do full and incremental backups at regular intervals. I might go with that.

But, part of me is still thinking about going with ShadowProtect. Seems overly expensive, though.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
But, part of me is still thinking about going with ShadowProtect. Seems overly expensive, though.
I switched from Acronis to ShadowProtect about 5 years ago after a couple of instances in which I couldn't restore from Acronis backup images. ShadowProtect works great and only once have I had a ShadowProtect backup image fail to restore and, in this case, I was able to do the restore by going to an earlier image in the chain. I especially like the easy with which I can mount a backup image as a drive and then just copy the necessary files/directory from the backup to my system without having to restore the entire drive. To me its capabilities and reliability justify the cost but every system is different and you'll need to evaluate this for yourself.

In evaluating the cost of ShadowProtect you should also consider the cost of an annual maintenance agreement. I believe that 1 year is included with the initial purchase. Currently, I'm paying about $55/year for a maintenance agreement that covers 3 computers/licenses. The principal advantage of this agreement is that it covers all updates/upgrades. Since my initial purchase there has been 2 major upgrades, including one within 30 days of Windows 8 release that provided full Windows 8 compatibility, and probably 5 or 6 minor updates to the program.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Drive to drive. But for some reason it wanted the target to have a partition already. The cool thing is, unlike Acronis etc, it clones the live drive while windows is running. So all you have to do is change your boot order.
and you've tried to boot from the clone, as a test?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
and you've tried to boot from the clone, as a test?
Yes, I successfully booted from the clone drive.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I successfully booted from the clone drive.
haha sorry I keep forgeting things to ask
is your backup drive external, or internal, and how often do you do it? is it automated or manual.
thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
haha sorry I keep forgeting things to ask
is your backup drive external, or internal, and how often do you do it? is it automated or manual.
thanks
I ran the test on a Virtual Machine, so internal drives.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Looks pretty good. Out of curiosity, why that over True Image?
Until you asked that, I hadn't looked at Acronis at all. Now that I have, the only compelling reason I see to stick with EasUs is price. I don't see much of a benefit to the added cost of Acronis.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've been reading up on TrueImage 2013. The backup scheduler looks quite a bit better. I still can't create a grandfather-father-son backup scheme with it, but I can tell it to do full and incremental backups at regular intervals. I might go with that.
Actually you can create generational backups using a third party script. I think it's ridiculous that the program doesn't have the feature built in, but the script works great. Basically what you'd do is set True Image to perform incremental backups with no limit on the number or incremental backups to perform. So basically the program would just continue to do incremental backups and never do another full backup. True Image has an option to run a script before performing a backup. You set the number of incremental backups you want before beginning a new chain as well as how many generations you want to keep via the script. Before a backup is performed the script will check the backup folder. Once you have reached the chosen number of incremental backups in the folder the script moves the chain to another folder leaving the current backup folder empty. For example if you're doing 3 generations you'll have set0, set1 and set2. If all 3 folders have backups the files in set2 are deleted and the backups from set1 are moved to set2 and set0 to set1. When True Image starts the incremental backup it will see set0 as empty and will do a full backup since there isn't an ongoing chain.

I know it sounds convoluted, but I've been using it for over a year now without a hitch. I have 5 backup tasks running and don't think it's missed one yet.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
Actually you can create generational backups using a third party script. I think it's ridiculous that the program doesn't have the feature built in, but the script works great.
Well, at least TrueImage 2013 added support for scheduling a full backup every X many incremental backups. And can delete backup chains older than Y many days. Still, I liked my monthly full backup, weekly differential, and nightly incremental backup scheme.

Are you talking about using Chain2Gen? I looked into that a couple years ago and was sort of scared off. That's what drove me to Acronis Backup and Recovery over TrueImage.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Sage Expert

I use r-DriveImage from http://www.r-tt.com.

You can schedule full/incremental backups, then set as a trigger on successful completion of your backups a command line to restore to a different drive.

It may also be possible to do disk-to-disk via command line in r-DriveImage, but I've never tried.

see:
http://www.drive-image.com/
http://www.r-tt.com/downloads/Drive_Image_Manual.pdf

They have a 30 day demo.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
SageTVaholic

would any of these work with either an external 1394 or USB2 drive?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
would any of these work with either an external 1394 or USB2 drive?
I believe just about all drive image software will work standard external drives.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Confirmed. I just tested the Drive to Drive function of DriveImageXML, and it cloned live. One note, make sure you create a parition on your target drive before you launch DriveImage, and make the partition active before you try to boot off it. You can even schedule jobs, so that might be useful.
can you tell me your settings for drive-to-drive
whas it "try volume locking first" - "Raw" mode or not - or "try volume shadow services first"

how big is your boot drive, and how long did it take to do the drive-to-drive? mine's 90 gigs, and it's showing a 10-hour backup time....seems long to me
oh, and that's hooked up via USB 2, which could explain things

thanks

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Until you asked that, I hadn't looked at Acronis at all. Now that I have, the only compelling reason I see to stick with EasUs is price. I don't see much of a benefit to the added cost of Acronis.
I am looking for a reliable, quick, inexpensive way to make backups of my SageTV C: drive.

Gave 'DriveImage xml' a go (free), but wasn't feeling the love for it.

Did you find EaseUs all of the above mentioned adjectives? Automation isn't necessary, but would be helpful I suppose. Oh, and the backup drive would be external, via USB port, since all my SATA slots are taken.

any thoughts? I'd prefer to not have to deal with boot discs and recabling. If my Sage SSD crashed, I would want to be able to just assign the USB drive in Bios, and re-boot