SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Sage User

Lost tuners after reboot

After rebooting my sage v7 computer my HD home run Prime with cable card using sageDTS does not detect the tuners and wont record or show any stations. The only fix I have found is to play a few second of any old record show then go back to the guide and pick any live channel. this seem to fix it but when the computer reboots the same problem. Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
SageTVaholic

The issue is sagetv is starting faster than SageDCT on your system. The old versions of sagetv would check once on boot for network encoders that it had configured, and then not check again until something specifically asked for the status of the tuner (you can navigate to the source information screen where it shows Functioning: True and that will cause it to detect the network encoder and rehash the schedule to include it. We fixed this in SageTV9 (one of the first things fixed, I believe), so it will now continue to check for missing network encoders if they aren't found on boot, and once found, will then make sure the scheduler takes it into account.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 PM
Sage User

Thank you for the response. I think you mean navigate to "Setup Video Sources" and "Functioning:true" I can't select Functioning.

This problem is new to a old working system that use to be pretty reliable. I added late nightly reboot because I found the new v9 place-shifter can cause Sage v7 to lock up/crash. Rebooting insured that if this happened it would clear it up. This setup work fine for some time then I started having this new problem.

Is there away to delay sage start up or change the order of startup? Can the sage serves enable and start be delayed anyway to allow DCT to start first?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would expect a dependency could be setup with SageDCT or OpenDCT to make sure these services are running before Sage is allowed to start.

A similar procedure (at least in my mind) for doing this was documented for using firewire to record with.

I wouldn't begin to know how to set this up and must leave it to others that hopefully know how.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I would expect a dependency could be setup with SageDCT or OpenDCT to make sure these services are running before Sage is allowed to start.

A similar procedure (at least in my mind) for doing this was documented for using firewire to record with.

I wouldn't begin to know how to set this up and must leave it to others that hopefully know how.
When I found myself in this boat, I just set the SageTV service to use Automatic (Delayed Start). There's no need to get things intertwined. I think what you're suggesting would create a situation whereby you would need to remove the SageTV service every time you wanted to upgrade SageDCT or OpenDCT which is why the went the route I did.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
When I found myself in this boat, I just set the SageTV service to use Automatic (Delayed Start). There's no need to get things intertwined. I think what you're suggesting would create a situation whereby you would need to remove the SageTV service every time you wanted to upgrade SageDCT or OpenDCT which is why the went the route I did.
I just had something like this crop up for the first time, in so much that I was mucking with menu items, I believe recording filters possibly, and poof, all my favorites weren't being accessed, and the 'recording schedule' window just came up saying "no recordings scheduled". However, all my favorites are still programmed. In Video Sources, both my tuners list Functioning:true, and Network Encoder:False.
Any idea what I may have messed up and how to get it back again?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I just had something like this crop up for the first time, in so much that I was mucking with menu items, I believe recording filters possibly, and poof, all my favorites weren't being accessed, and the 'recording schedule' window just came up saying "no recordings scheduled". However, all my favorites are still programmed. In Video Sources, both my tuners list Functioning:true, and Network Encoder:False.
Any idea what I may have messed up and how to get it back again?
That sounds a little like a weird problem I used to have sometimes with v7. I'm not sure I've ever had it happen again since upgrading to v9, but the way I addressed it in v7 was I changed the number of days ahead that SageTV would schedule recordings from 14 to 8. One thing that was interesting is that manual recordings would show up in the schedule, just not favorites.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Sage User

Not sure what to do next and new issue

I don't see any real solution here and now I have a new issue. My Cable company sent me a letter that after doing an audit the have found I have to meany channels for my package and have turned off some of the channels. I was going through my tuner set up to disable the non working channels,which is a slow process. I un-check some of them after previewing showed them not working. Now for some reason every time I sit down to watch tv my system always now starts up on a one of the non working channels #428 that I have unchecked. The system use to start up at the same channel last on or a current channel if something is recording. I have rechecked check and un checked this channel shut of the system when on a working channel but this has not help in anyway. The system always now starts on channel 428

With this said, I am thinking of updating to v9 I was wondering where I can find a install package for v9? Gethub seems to only have individual files no install cab. Any help to direct me to a install of v9 would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofex View Post
I don't see any real solution here and now I have a new issue. My Cable company sent me a letter that after doing an audit the have found I have to meany channels for my package and have turned off some of the channels. I was going through my tuner set up to disable the non working channels,which is a slow process. I un-check some of them after previewing showed them not working. Now for some reason every time I sit down to watch tv my system always now starts up on a one of the non working channels #428 that I have unchecked. The system use to start up at the same channel last on or a current channel if something is recording. I have rechecked check and un checked this channel shut of the system when on a working channel but this has not help in anyway. The system always now starts on channel 428

With this said, I am thinking of updating to v9 I was wondering where I can find a install package for v9? Gethub seems to only have individual files no install cab. Any help to direct me to a install of v9 would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
If its a windows install check my signature
Old 12-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Sage User

I have been having strange issues with SageTV that required me to migrate from PrimeEncorder to OpenDCT on SageTV V7X. Things seem to return to normal except of a nagging issue where in on reboot i would loose all tuners until I stopped and restarted OpenDCT service. Based on Fuzzy's post i thought may be upgrading to V9 would fix things but that did not work either.
What seems to work is to delay the start of OpenDCT service, counter to EnterNoEscape's post. So i am a tad confused. Am i doing something wrong?
I am on windows 10 using 64 bit OpenDCT with the latest 32 and 64bit Java installed
Old 12-16-2016, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkd View Post
I have been having strange issues with SageTV that required me to migrate from PrimeEncorder to OpenDCT on SageTV V7X. Things seem to return to normal except of a nagging issue where in on reboot i would loose all tuners until I stopped and restarted OpenDCT service. Based on Fuzzy's post i thought may be upgrading to V9 would fix things but that did not work either.
What seems to work is to delay the start of OpenDCT service, counter to EnterNoEscape's post. So i am a tad confused. Am i doing something wrong?
I am on windows 10 using 64 bit OpenDCT with the latest 32 and 64bit Java installed
Do you have more than one network adapter on your server? Are you using a static IP address? OpenDCT will only wait to start detecting the capture devices from your server if it can't find any network adapters with a valid IP address. However, it only needs to find one. If delaying the OpenDCT service makes them show up, that almost certainly means there's a timing issue between when the network adapters are available and when OpenDCT is trying to see what's available.

In v7 you were fighting with SageTV saying the device did not exist and will not exist which is what the early port assignment feature was for. What you are seeing is likely unrelated based on symptoms and the fact that v9 doesn't have the problem I'm describing here.

An opendct.log file from a startup when SageTV can't use the capture devices would be the most useful.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 12-16-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Sage User

I have 2 NIC's on my server with one dedicated to HDHR Prime; HDHR serving the IP address. For my server i do have a static IP address connected to the 2nd NIC.

I can remove the delayed start for OpenDCT and send you the opendct.log file, but where would that log file be? I could not find it in the program's dir under SageTV and OpenDCT.

Appreciate your help
Old 12-16-2016, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have 2 NIC's on my server with one dedicated to HDHR Prime; HDHR serving the IP address. For my server i do have a static IP address connected to the 2nd NIC.

I can remove the delayed start for OpenDCT and send you the opendct.log file, but where would that log file be? I could not find it in the program's dir under SageTV and OpenDCT.

Appreciate your help
Without seeing a log, that definitely explains the delay. It sees the static IP address and stops checking the other network adapter to see if it will be available. From then on out, it will not circle back to see if anything has changed. I have a few ideas on how to address this. I'll see what I can do with the beta to help others who might find themselves in a similar situation.

I imagine the HDHomeRun is deliberately slow in turning itself into a DHCP server so that it doesn't accidentally start issuing rogue IP addresses on your main network when it not plugged into a dedicated NIC.

If you are curious though, the logs are under C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\logs.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Sage User

Found it ... I will change the service start time later today to recreate the error and send you the log file. Family is watching TV now so can not shut the server down
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Sage User

The log file is attached after turning off delayed OpenDCT service start and rebooting...

I have also attached what i see in SageTV
Attached Images
File Type: png SageTV_No_Tuner.png (351.5 KB, 176 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.log.txt (9.8 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by nkd; 12-17-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The log file is attached after turning off delayed OpenDCT service start and rebooting...

I have also attached what i see in SageTV
The log shows a very slight deviation from what I was thinking. The HDHomeRun interface has an APIPA address. The latest beta has some handling for those, but not at startup, so I'll take care of that. It might be another week before the next beta is released, but if you delay the service like you have, that should be a good workaround.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Sage User

thank you ..
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 AM
Sage User

Still not there yet

Ok, So i been busy and have not updated my (lack of) progress. I tried installing v9 over my v7. the result was not good. I lost the program guide and it did not ask for my old key nor can I find a place to enter it. The only saving grace was I cloned the HD before doing this and was able to go backwards by installing the clone and get my system back to v7 with its missing tuner on boot problems.

Any idea on how to upgrade to v9 with out the pain?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofex View Post
Ok, So i been busy and have not updated my (lack of) progress. I tried installing v9 over my v7. the result was not good. I lost the program guide and it did not ask for my old key nor can I find a place to enter it. The only saving grace was I cloned the HD before doing this and was able to go backwards by installing the clone and get my system back to v7 with its missing tuner on boot problems.

Any idea on how to upgrade to v9 with out the pain?
What OS? Any errors during install? What do you mean by lost the guide...its empty or not offered? We would likely need to see the sagetv log to try to diagnose.

k
Old 12-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage Icon

Were you using the default v7/v9 STV? If you were using an alternate (like Gemstone) I don't think you get the option to enter the license key.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR

Tags
hd homerun, lost, tuners