SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Sage Expert

@EnterNoEscape

I haven't tried it full bore yet on Windows, that's my plan right now is to do that first and then see how many clients I can support, and go from there.

@Fuzzy
Well I guess that's better than nothing, would it be easier to just go HTTP tuning anyway?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
@EnterNoEscape

I haven't tried it full bore yet on Windows, that's my plan right now is to do that first and then see how many clients I can support, and go from there.

@Fuzzy
Well I guess that's better than nothing, would it be easier to just go HTTP tuning anyway?
Yeah, if you've got boxes that support it, it's almost certainly easier. Still takes setting up the scripts I think.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
By the way - you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

This is for users who use "assistive technologies" like magnifier, narrator, etc. Under the FAQ it says: "We are not restricting the upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the upgrade offer."

So open up magnifier on your Win7/8/8.1 machine and you are an assistive technologies user.
So if I have Win7 Pro and do this, it would end up being Win10 Pro which if I recall, you can then control when Updates get applied? Wouldn't want a Windows Update restarting/rebooting the PC while a recording is In Progress.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
So if I have Win7 Pro and do this, it would end up being Win10 Pro which if I recall, you can then control when Updates get applied? Wouldn't want a Windows Update restarting/rebooting the PC while a recording is In Progress.
Don't bet on it. MS is very good at being in control of the update process. I have managed to override it a number of times but the next update seems to make what I did moot and you need another hack.

Now, I do not use SageTV on any of my Win10 PC's and I have upgraded everything to Win10 (I run SageTV on Linux and Windows Server VM's) but with and without hacks it is very difficult to control when Win10 thinks it should reboot.... others may have found solutions but I have not found any permanent ones yet.

k
Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Don't bet on it. MS is very good at being in control of the update process. I have managed to override it a number of times but the next update seems to make what I did moot and you need another hack.
That is what I was afraid of. Guess I'll stick with Win7 for Sage PC
Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know that I have had this problem with forced updates on Win 10. One of my backup SageTV servers is running Win10 and in the last few days it is complaining about wanting to be rebooted due to updates, but it hasn't rebooted on its own. Maybe it does this eventually but I think it can be somewhat controlled.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Windows 10 is the main reason that I am now using Unraid as my server for SageTV. I was using Npvr on my windows desktop with kodi as a front end. Between occasionally finding my windows pc powered off rather than sleeping and Kodi's fairly poor handling of in progress recordings it wasn't keeping the wife happy.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
.... others may have found solutions but I have not found any permanent ones yet.
I think deep down, you know the "permanent solution" you just aren't ready to commit to it, yet... Just don't run Windows
Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I think deep down, you know the "permanent solution" you just aren't ready to commit to it, yet... Just don't run Windows
To funny
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

Well I too don't want to run it on windows (again cause I really want 64bit JVM support), but I also don't have the time / money to re-invest in a new hardware setup. I'm not switching to Window 10 for that though.

Anyway I just made the switch to v9 (finally) and am using the SD plugin for lineups right now (i did an install over, rather than clean so that I could keep my wiz bin). . . so far everything is up and running, we'll see how many lockups i get (with 7 about once every 1 week to a month depending i had to do a full reset). If all goes well there i'm gonna try adding a 3rd extender and see how it goes.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 05-28-2017, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
Anyway I just made the switch to v9 (finally) and am using the SD plugin for lineups right now.
I assume you mean just using built in SD functionality as the plugin should not be used with v9

k