SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage Expert

File Management

All my recordings are dumped into one of 2 directories and as my collection grows, the number of files grows. I haven't worried about this in the past, but I just started playing with ShowAnalyzer, which produces about 6 extra files for each recording, and there's a .properties file as well. That's 8 files for each recording. I can easily see this growing to a few thousand files in a single directory.

Is this something I should worry about? Are there any performance issues associated with this?

How do you all organize your recordings?

Last edited by Dargason; 04-01-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have subdirectories with thousands of files. I don't have any performance issues I'm aware of. The operating system takes care of all the indexing. Even if you were to put them in separate directories, the operating system would still need keeping track of all of them.

As for SageTV, if all of those files were in multiple Import directories, it would need to be aware of all of them as well.

One reason for moving some into separate directories would be for you to do something like organizing backups of the important ones. I use Import directories for movies and shows I expect I won't keep. If I don't watch/rewatch them after a few months, they get tossed.

john
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks. I guess the only downside is that it takes a while to open the explorer window when I want to browse the directory.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
Thanks. I guess the only downside is that it takes a while to open the explorer window when I want to browse the directory.

Wow

I currently have 4825 files in 84 subfolders and have no issues with performance.

Sage will only create the video and the .properties files. All others can be deleted. You possibly have .edl, .txt, .vprj, .log, etc... which would be a pain to manage.

Open an explorer and sort by file type and get rid of all but videos .mpg, .ts, etc.. and thier associated properties file and possibly the edl files if commercial are still present.

Showanalyzer can be set to not create certain files. Maybe ones you would never use anyways at least.

Good Luck
Mike