SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I hope you are right and/or if they do shut it down I hope they offer it to the community and we can take it over.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

this just crystallized in my mind............

my hdpvr would lock up occasionally and i'd sometimes miss shows not knowing that the recordings were in a 'stuck' mode.

since jeff sold the company to google, this has not happened once!

a coincidence??

or did hauppauge figure out that while they could mess with little sage, it wouldn't pay to screw with giant google?

this looks like a little understood side benefit of the transaction.

looking forward to hearing more good news in the future, jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
What advantages..?

Drew
agreed...we desperately need this forum to be free from the shackles, hopefully with the old posts included. Surely the old-guard would be sympathetic?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plawlor View Post
... And the built in Hauppauge blaster plug-in can't account for multiple tuners either - blasts to all 4 at once! How useless is that?

Peter
couldn't agree more. my Motorola sat receiver allows for ten different remote addresses to be set. it seems simple for them. no idea why Hauppauge has their head in the sand on this one, especially since it would inspire people to own more of their recording devices.

remember what 'The Onion' reported when Steve Jobs died: "last man who knew what the f#%k he was doing dies".
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Why would Google pull the plug on the forums? They have nothing to gain by doing so, and it costs them little time/effort/money to keep it going. I doubt they'll shut down the forums any time soon.
To take that a bit further. Since Sage is NOT dead. I suspect (hope) that the new Sage that rises up out of the ashes will be supported rite here within these forums. Though the new Sage (whatever it turns out to be) may be a different product in many ways, it will no doubt still have much in common with its predecessor. I think the knowledge and talent of many folks in these forums will be of great value to Google and the new Sage users down the road.

Though I would imagine much of the present forum would be moved off into archives to avoid any confusion between the old and new products.

This is all based solely on my high hope.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
I already own a Logitech Google TV. It is almost nothing compared to SageTV. The current GoogleTV is about 1% of what SageTV is now, in it's frozen form. The new GoogleTV will have to be very drastically better that what it is now, so it isn't a complete let down like the current GoogleTV. If it takes too many years for Google to get the product to the market, then some other company will be marketing something better than SageTV, leaving Google to simple shelve the whole project. What kind of timeline are we talking about? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusing View Post
+1 I have given up hope [in client licenses] at this point, but might as well ask again.
Me too. Most people don't grasp that Jeff is in a different place both financially and in the DVR Business. So when he says he's working on something and he'd love to tell us what... it doesn't mean we'll be thrilled with what he has to say. HE might be thrilled, but we likely won't be. Like when he got online over 6 months ago with "Full speed ahead!" and promptly brought the store and our ability to extend our investment to a screeching halt. How is that full speed ahead?

And then gloated that Sage was bought by google with all those huge clapping smiling emoticons while we saw no opportunity to purchase extenders or client licenses and ebay prices on them rose to over $400.

All I ask is for client licenses for the little people. Do it for the children who occupy my basement without an extender or license.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsdyker View Post
Do it for the children ...
More please, kind sir...
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

It is kind of crazy that we are begging a software company to take our money so we don't have to be pirates and they won't sell it to us.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
HE might be thrilled, but we likely won't be. Like when he got online over 6 months ago with "Full speed ahead!" and promptly brought the store and our ability to extend our investment to a screeching halt.
Your right, the store being closed does not sit well with me in light of the "full speed ahead".

But, when Jeff says he is still working on sage and cannot tell us yet about it, but would like to if he could, I can't help but think that there really is not anyone who better understands what we want than Jeff. Sage has been his baby for a long time and he has catered to our desires for a long time. I think he knows what we want and I hope he is getting the freedom to work on it. Fingers crossed.

The one thing that does not jive for me is the store being closed. If Sage as it is now has a future, then why stop selling it and drive people away.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The one thing that does not jive for me is the store being closed. If Sage as it is now has a future, then why stop selling it and drive people away.
The store being closed is frustrating when you want to expand your system but how would you feel if they'd kept the store open for a year and then announced something new and better that wasn't compatible with your existing system, everyone would then be complaining that they'd ripped them off, so either way they can't really win...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Most people don't grasp that Jeff is in a different place both financially and in the DVR Business. So when he says he's working on something and he'd love to tell us what... it doesn't mean we'll be thrilled with what he has to say. HE might be thrilled, but we likely won't be.
I suspect he believes that more of us will be pleased than not, and he's probably right. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...2&postcount=57

I don't think he was gloating at all. I think he was awash in the buzz of the money he had just made, the opportunity he had just been given (of which we have no details - maybe we'll all be ecstatic too). I mean, if you had your own little "niche market" website - say a small, specific, online auction site - and eBay offered you a big fat bag of money to buy you out, along with an offer for you to work for them and make your site into something spectacular within the "mother" site, wouldn't you be happy too?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Sage User

Not as joyous of the groundhog poking up his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
I agree with others Jeff. We are all close to jumping ship from being dump by SageTV. Over 6 months and no direction has us all worried. Basically EPG data lasts till June that we know of. We cannot get replacement parts and upgrade. So many of us our jumping off your ship. I think you are on a path where that SageTV Founder title will do more harm than good. You should have negotiated better with Google to keep your loyal followers updated just a little better. I hope you have enough $ to retire comfortably in case the Google monster decides to spit you out.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayacht View Post
I agree with others Jeff. We are all close to jumping ship from being dump by SageTV. Over 6 months and no direction has us all worried. Basically EPG data lasts till June that we know of. We cannot get replacement parts and upgrade. So many of us our jumping off your ship. I think you are on a path where that SageTV Founder title will do more harm than good. You should have negotiated better with Google to keep your loyal followers updated just a little better. I hope you have enough $ to retire comfortably in case the Google monster decides to spit you out.
Unlike Schettino , it looks like Jeff is still onboard , so I am staying on the ship
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
......We are all close to jumping ship from being dump by SageTV.......
I'm still on board as well. I really don't have any good reason to jump ship. But I do understand the frustration of those who were in the middle of putting together a system that they can't now complete.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagal View Post
The store being closed is frustrating when you want to expand your system but how would you feel if they'd kept the store open for a year and then announced something new and better that wasn't compatible with your existing system, everyone would then be complaining that they'd ripped them off, so either way they can't really win...
Well... They could if what they created was compatible with sage...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Basically EPG data lasts till June that we know of.
It lasts through 2012 (ie 12/31/2012) at least.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Well... They could if what they created was compatible with sage...
True, but I'm not counting my chickens and even if they did you know there'd still be people complaining that 'hey, I bought a HD300 2 months ago and you've just bought out a new model, damn you!'
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Anytime you buy anything you run the risk of it being discontinued, superceded or abandoned. You run the risk of the company going belly up, or changing directions. Heck, I still have customers needing Rambus periodically.

I can only hope that any development in Sage allows me to leverage what I currently have, and expand it further. If it doesn't, oh well. It currently functions as well as it did on that fateful day when Sage went dark.

It is sad though that many who have expressed an interest since that day, or have been left in a bind due to the lack of warning have been unable to complete or expand their systems. I am holding out hope that one way or another, I will be able to acquire licenses to keep my now "converted" Sage family happy. I also have numerous clients who are envious of my setup, and it sucks having to tell them that - no you can't buy it, it's been bought out by Google. At least it beats being bought out by Corel lol..

Grant
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
First off, if you are going to rail on the owner of a product whose board you are posting on, it doesn't help your credibility to start off with an incorrect accusation. In this very thread, Jeff states that the EPG will last at least until the end of 2012.

Second, I don't know how long you've been using Sage, but you have 10 posts. You most likely don't know the mental state of "we all". "We are all close to jumping ship" is your opinion. Most of the long-timer, frequent-posters around here are not "close" to jumping ship. Not saying we might not jump ship when we find out what is going to happen to Sage, but we're not doing it until we know. And the "alternatives to Sage" thread is just people getting other solutions in line, should they NEED to jump - it's not the desperate, "ohmygodweneedanothersolutionnow!!!" thread that some make it out to be.

While there are clearly some "glass half empty" people on this board who can make it feel like the sky is falling, there are way more people who are either:
1) patiently awaiting what happens with Sage, or
2) perfectly happy continuing to use the product as it is, for as long as devices continue to function.

If "we all" were jumping ship as you believe, there'd be WAY more extenders for sale on eBay. When I looked the other day, I believe there were about 7.

Lastly, if you're going to start writing angry posts directed towards Jeff, I recommend that you post them in the "community comments" thread, which I call the "doomsday" thread. You'll find people of more similar beliefs over there.

P.S. As a side note, when the EPG stops being officially supported, there's already a plugin to replace it.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.