SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-18-2021, 06:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Back-back recordings problem

A show on my cable box via ancient HD-PVR is back-back-back.
The HD-PVR needs 15 seconds to reset and move to the next recording so I tell Sage to add a minute to the end of the show which should keep it from recording back-back and losing the beginning of the next show. I should get every other show. And that is what the schedule shows.

BUT, what happens is that sage stops the 1st show as desired, then starts recording the next show late -- unscheduled. It continues to do that missing the 1st minute of each show that is -back-back-back!

I've tried everything that I can find and no setting appears to stop this behavior. (Primarily remove padding on overlapping recordings. Set, this seemed to trigger the behavior under 32 bit, reset allow it to work most of the time.)

IF I'm at my computer and stop the recording and keep the partial -- it works as expected. But if I delete the partial, it immediately starts recording again! Even though the show is in progress?

I just upgraded to 64 bit and I did it the non-recommended way of installing over a 32 bit copy and editing all file names to point to the 64 bit install. I've also had to uninstall and reinstall several plugins.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit -- I have change channel to record set to no.

I also remember a discussion long ago about the fact that sage could break the cable box from the HD PVR stream into multiple overlapping recordings if the channel didn't change -- it just didn't do it...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB

Last edited by davidk21770; 04-18-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Sage has some logic where it will still try to record a show even if it missed the beginning. Iím not sure how much it has to miss before it abandons the attempt altogether. There are times when this behavior makes sense - for example if that show is only on once, it may be better to get some than none. But, if the show is going to air again later, I would rather Sage just skip it and try another time.

You could try to increase your padding (maybe make it 15 minutes instead of 1). That way it may miss enough of that second show that it gives up and doesnít try to make a partial recording.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-19-2021, 06:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Sage has some logic where it will still try to record a show even if it missed the beginning. Iím not sure how much it has to miss before it abandons the attempt altogether. There are times when this behavior makes sense - for example if that show is only on once, it may be better to get some than none. But, if the show is going to air again later, I would rather Sage just skip it and try another time.

You could try to increase your padding (maybe make it 15 minutes instead of 1). That way it may miss enough of that second show that it gives up and doesnít try to make a partial recording.
That fixed it!
Thanks!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB