SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
CC or embedded subs?

Hi Sage Gods...

Is there anyone actively working on embedded closed captions or subtitle support within files? For CC, it's usually MPEG2 (broadcast). For subs, MP4 or MKV is desired.

I know this is supported in the HD300 series and it still one of the best reasons to own those, but I worry they won't last forever. I'm willing to pay a bounty to catch a developer's attention.
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage User

Definitely need CC

I would like to second this request. I also use closed captions from the recorded ATSC streams, which works great on my HD300s but not on windows clients.

I seem to recall this was a function of the decoder, and I think I had it working prior to the media extenders when I was on a windows XP server directly hooked up to the TV... but that was like 10+ years ago...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I agree. This would be a significant improvement to the core features and would enable those of us who are hard of hearing to move away from the aging extenders if desired.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree as well but I still believe that the aging extenders are the best SageTV clients.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree as well but I still believe that the aging extenders are the best SageTV clients.
And I agree as well, but...

The old extenders don't support H.265 (although admittedly some new solutions don't support MPEG-2, which is required). It also makes it hard for me to recommend SageTV to friends since those are not available to buy. To anyone who needs a client-server based PVR for ONLY over-the-air, the easy recommendation is Plex because of all the client options. It gets harder to recommend Sage without a solid client option.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
And I agree as well, but...

The old extenders don't support H.265 (although admittedly some new solutions don't support MPEG-2, which is required). It also makes it hard for me to recommend SageTV to friends since those are not available to buy. To anyone who needs a client-server based PVR for ONLY over-the-air, the easy recommendation is Plex because of all the client options. It gets harder to recommend Sage without a solid client option.
Ekk I wouldn't recommend Plex when Emby is lot better as next best but nothing has come even close to SageTV as PVR/DVR.
Plex is a major mess with it DVR/DVR which has no Grid View TV Guide
Emby need 3rdparty app like NextPVR and other so some it not very good in that area if want analog capture support.
So both of them don't support any analog device and very little ATSC main just SiliconDust device support how ever Plex has been add support for Hauppauge Antenna TV Tuner like dualHD or quadHD.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Sage Expert

Plex is mainstream and has a future. Emby, not guaranteed. It's easy to recommend Plex to anyone of any experience level for short AND long-term.

They have literally no competition for server/client.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Plex is mainstream and has a future. Emby, not guaranteed. It's easy to recommend Plex to anyone of any experience level for short AND long-term.

Unless you want more than OTA. Sage can use the HD-PVR with a cable company provided tuner and USB-UIRT for recording ALL channels. Sure it's a bit cludgy to configure, but works great afterwards. I'm not sure between Silicondust and Plex who's going to get DRM channels on the HDHR Prime first, but once that happens, they win.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:

That funny then why are more and more Plex user showing up on Emby forum .

Quote:
I'm not sure between Silicondust and Plex who's going to get DRM channels on the HDHR Prime first, but once that happens, they win.
The one thing I can tell you it going be Neither one, So for now only Microsoft Media Center had that cover.

Last edited by SHS; 10-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Unless you want more than OTA.
I wasn't talking about PVR usage. If I thought there was an equal to SageTV I wouldn't be here.

But the fact is that we, PVR users, are small potatoes. The phrase "no one cares about PVR" is not an understatement. It was never anything more than a niche interest for the DIY crowd. The vast majority of PVR users are on proprietary and closed STB systems - and their numbers are dwindling every day too.

I don't know anyone else at all who uses a PVR. I'll continue to use SageTV as long as there's OTA digital broadcasting, but I'm not sure I can convince anyone else to do that. Most of my friends have either already cancelled traditional cable/satellite or are in the process - but none of them are interested in OTA.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about PVR usage. If I thought there was an equal to SageTV I wouldn't be here.

But the fact is that we, PVR users, are small potatoes. The phrase "no one cares about PVR" is not an understatement. It was never anything more than a niche interest for the DIY crowd. The vast majority of PVR users are on proprietary and closed STB systems - and their numbers are dwindling every day too.

I don't know anyone else at all who uses a PVR. I'll continue to use SageTV as long as there's OTA digital broadcasting, but I'm not sure I can convince anyone else to do that. Most of my friends have either already cancelled traditional cable/satellite or are in the process - but none of them are interested in OTA.
Then there not much you can do as more people are move to Online Steaming Option as number one main reason is getting down right to darn expensive with nearly 70% of the channel is full of nothing bad carp or channel that nobody is watching like sports ESPN and some other useless channel, and let keep in mind that Phone, Tables, Portable Media Player heck even TV are lot more power now then 5/6 years ago.