SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 AM
valnar valnar is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,242
Send a message via ICQ to valnar
CC or embedded subs?

Hi Sage Gods...

Is there anyone actively working on embedded closed captions or subtitle support within files? For CC, it's usually MPEG2 (broadcast). For subs, MP4 or MKV is desired.

I know this is supported in the HD300 series and it still one of the best reasons to own those, but I worry they won't last forever. I'm willing to pay a bounty to catch a developer's attention.
__________________
Server: ASUS Q87M-E, Intel i5-4590S, 8GB RAM, DR-400-6 RM case, 2x Addonics Disk Array 3SA, 9TB disk, 2x HDHomeRun, HD-PVR 1212, Win8.1-64bit, Sage 9
Client 1: HD300 on Panasonic Plasma TC-P50ST60
Client 2: HD300 on Vizio 40"
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
jgs14 jgs14 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 23
Definitely need CC

I would like to second this request. I also use closed captions from the recorded ATSC streams, which works great on my HD300s but not on windows clients.

I seem to recall this was a function of the decoder, and I think I had it working prior to the media extenders when I was on a windows XP server directly hooked up to the TV... but that was like 10+ years ago...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Rob23 Rob23 is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101
I agree. This would be a significant improvement to the core features and would enable those of us who are hard of hearing to move away from the aging extenders if desired.
__________________
Sage Server: Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, Windows 7 x64, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD, AverMedia M780. HD200 Extender.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 AM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,396
I agree as well but I still believe that the aging extenders are the best SageTV clients.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:21 PM
valnar valnar is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,242
Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree as well but I still believe that the aging extenders are the best SageTV clients.
And I agree as well, but...

The old extenders don't support H.265 (although admittedly some new solutions don't support MPEG-2, which is required). It also makes it hard for me to recommend SageTV to friends since those are not available to buy. To anyone who needs a client-server based PVR for ONLY over-the-air, the easy recommendation is Plex because of all the client options. It gets harder to recommend Sage without a solid client option.
__________________
Server: ASUS Q87M-E, Intel i5-4590S, 8GB RAM, DR-400-6 RM case, 2x Addonics Disk Array 3SA, 9TB disk, 2x HDHomeRun, HD-PVR 1212, Win8.1-64bit, Sage 9
Client 1: HD300 on Panasonic Plasma TC-P50ST60
Client 2: HD300 on Vizio 40"
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:49 PM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
And I agree as well, but...

The old extenders don't support H.265 (although admittedly some new solutions don't support MPEG-2, which is required). It also makes it hard for me to recommend SageTV to friends since those are not available to buy. To anyone who needs a client-server based PVR for ONLY over-the-air, the easy recommendation is Plex because of all the client options. It gets harder to recommend Sage without a solid client option.
Ekk I wouldn't recommend Plex when Emby is lot better as next best but nothing has come even close to SageTV as PVR/DVR.
Plex is a major mess with it DVR/DVR which has no Grid View TV Guide
Emby need 3rdparty app like NextPVR and other so some it not very good in that area if want analog capture support.
So both of them don't support any analog device and very little ATSC main just SiliconDust device support how ever Plex has been add support for Hauppauge Antenna TV Tuner like dualHD or quadHD.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:23 PM
TwistedMelon TwistedMelon is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 554
Plex is mainstream and has a future. Emby, not guaranteed. It's easy to recommend Plex to anyone of any experience level for short AND long-term.

They have literally no competition for server/client.
__________________
Bruno
Twisted Melon Inc.
While you're clicking, check out my Mini Theater custom build.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM
valnar valnar is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,242
Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Plex is mainstream and has a future. Emby, not guaranteed. It's easy to recommend Plex to anyone of any experience level for short AND long-term.

They have literally no competition for server/client.
Unless you want more than OTA. Sage can use the HD-PVR with a cable company provided tuner and USB-UIRT for recording ALL channels. Sure it's a bit cludgy to configure, but works great afterwards. I'm not sure between Silicondust and Plex who's going to get DRM channels on the HDHR Prime first, but once that happens, they win.
__________________
Server: ASUS Q87M-E, Intel i5-4590S, 8GB RAM, DR-400-6 RM case, 2x Addonics Disk Array 3SA, 9TB disk, 2x HDHomeRun, HD-PVR 1212, Win8.1-64bit, Sage 9
Client 1: HD300 on Panasonic Plasma TC-P50ST60
Client 2: HD300 on Vizio 40"
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Plex is mainstream and has a future. Emby, not guaranteed. It's easy to recommend Plex to anyone of any experience level for short AND long-term.

They have literally no competition for server/client.
That funny then why are more and more Plex user showing up on Emby forum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I'm not sure between Silicondust and Plex who's going to get DRM channels on the HDHR Prime first, but once that happens, they win.
The one thing I can tell you it going be Neither one, So for now only Microsoft Media Center had that cover.

Last edited by SHS; 10-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 PM
TwistedMelon TwistedMelon is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Unless you want more than OTA.
I wasn't talking about PVR usage. If I thought there was an equal to SageTV I wouldn't be here.

But the fact is that we, PVR users, are small potatoes. The phrase "no one cares about PVR" is not an understatement. It was never anything more than a niche interest for the DIY crowd. The vast majority of PVR users are on proprietary and closed STB systems - and their numbers are dwindling every day too.

I don't know anyone else at all who uses a PVR. I'll continue to use SageTV as long as there's OTA digital broadcasting, but I'm not sure I can convince anyone else to do that. Most of my friends have either already cancelled traditional cable/satellite or are in the process - but none of them are interested in OTA.
__________________
Bruno
Twisted Melon Inc.
While you're clicking, check out my Mini Theater custom build.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2017, 04:56 AM
SHS's Avatar
SHS SHS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vinita, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
I wasn't talking about PVR usage. If I thought there was an equal to SageTV I wouldn't be here.

But the fact is that we, PVR users, are small potatoes. The phrase "no one cares about PVR" is not an understatement. It was never anything more than a niche interest for the DIY crowd. The vast majority of PVR users are on proprietary and closed STB systems - and their numbers are dwindling every day too.

I don't know anyone else at all who uses a PVR. I'll continue to use SageTV as long as there's OTA digital broadcasting, but I'm not sure I can convince anyone else to do that. Most of my friends have either already cancelled traditional cable/satellite or are in the process - but none of them are interested in OTA.
Then there not much you can do as more people are move to Online Steaming Option as number one main reason is getting down right to darn expensive with nearly 70% of the channel is full of nothing bad carp or channel that nobody is watching like sports ESPN and some other useless channel, and let keep in mind that Phone, Tables, Portable Media Player heck even TV are lot more power now then 5/6 years ago.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forced Subs in BR folder structure Suntan SageTV Media Extender 3 05-23-2012 02:36 PM
MKV Subs? wrems SageTV Media Extender 5 04-16-2012 01:39 AM
HD200 mkv subs mauifritz SageTV Media Extender 0 04-11-2012 05:06 PM
Issues with DVD subs in and MKV file... jbuszkie SageTV Beta Test Software 6 08-26-2010 07:30 AM
Do these subs work in latest beta? dvd_maniac SageTV Beta Test Software 2 04-27-2009 09:17 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.