SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Gem stone newbiw questions

I have used sagetv for years. I have stuck with the default UI. I have made quite a bit of changes regarding my families entertainment. These changes include a home theatre. I ended up with a popcorn hour A300 for the theatre. To make a long story short, I wen this route due to freezing with sagetv and blurays. I believe I have figured out the freezing. So time to make a change with sagetv and be able to enjoy my movies through sagetv. My setup is like this:
(Virtualized)Unraid server hosts my movies. I have YAMJ installed on unraid.
I have a Virtualized Sagetv Server on Win 7 64 with 4 processors and 4 gig ram
I have a popcorn hour A300 and I access my movies in my theatre using YAMJ and iskin2 (on my ipad).
We watch tv using nothing but HD200 and HD300 extenders.

So now I want to improve sagetv. Here is what I want:
I want to be able to import recording and have sagetv (or gem) display imported recording in the same menu. Currently we use malore menus.
I want to be able to access my movies off my unraid server with the nice fanart I see in the screenshots but yet still be able to utilize YAMJ in my theatre.
In the past I utilized mymovies to scrape fanart for sagetv (until I changed things. I had mymovies installed along with sagetv on WHS. As you can see my setup has changed drastically. Now I am thinking this

Install Gem.
Figure out the following: Display imported recording and sagetv recording in the same menu.
Organize and display my movies with the nice coverart. (what plugins are required for this bmt, mymovies, phoenix???)

DO the above without installing a ton of plugins. The main thing I utilize for TV is comskip.
Create some sort of cache or ram drive to speed up the user experience with sagetv extenders.

Is this possible with Gem? Can I scrape fanart etc while still using YAMJ for the popcorn hour?

Thanks for any knowledge and help.

Last edited by Hunter69; 11-28-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Sage Icon

First, I want to appologize as we seemed to have missed your question... not ignoring you we just missed this post somehow.... I will try to answer the best I can below and others may chime in for some that I can't answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
Figure out the following: Display imported recording and sagetv recording in the same menu.
Absolutely... Gemstone uses "views" from phoenix core (internally called vfs) and as these are virtual folders they can combine TV and Movies in a single Flow if that is what is desired. And you can certainly include imported and recorded tv in the same Flow as well... just build a Flow and then try different Views from the Options menu to get what you want displayed... then select various filters to narrow down your results.

Quote:
Organize and display my movies with the nice coverart. (what plugins are required for this bmt, mymovies, phoenix???)
You can use local fanart stored in your media folders by adjusting the default settings in the Image Options menu (under Utilities or inside any Flow's Options menu) but by default Gemstone is best used with BMT... at least IMHO.

Quote:
DO the above without installing a ton of plugins. The main thing I utilize for TV is comskip.
Check out the plugins compatibility list in FAQ but comskip is there. Try Gemstone by istself with perhaps only BMT and then add in only the plugins you think you need more functions from.

Quote:
Create some sort of cache or ram drive to speed up the user experience with sagetv extenders.
IMHO this is not required but YMMV as other users have raised concerns over performance on extenders.. but we are also working on improving some of this as we move forward but my HD300 works well with the Flows I use daily.

Quote:
Is this possible with Gem? Can I scrape fanart etc while still using YAMJ for the popcorn hour?
I have answered most questions but I am not familiar with popcorn hour OR YAMJ so perhaps some of the other forum Gemstone users could handle that one.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask other questions.

k