SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 AM
cat6man's Avatar
cat6man cat6man is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West of NYC, East of SF
Posts: 861
Netflix - how to?

my non-technical neighbor has fios and recently purchased
a roku box and after only 1 hour on the phone with tech
support in india, he was able to run netflix on his home system.
netflix streaming is a low priority item in my house but just in case
my tech-cred is questioned with my neighbor having a
functionality lacking in my houseold, i thought i'd investigate
streaming netflix via sagetv and hd200.

i've searched around the forum here and it seems
that the upnp browser plugin works fine with playon
as a method of accessing Netflix but playon requires both a
purchase fee AND a yearly fee (hey, i already pay a monthly
fee for netflix), which is not what i am looking for.

is there another way currently to access netflix via sagetv?
if not, can someone explain the technical issues of why
an intermediary like playon is required and what functionality
playon provides that a sage plugin cannot not do on it's own?
(i assume the roku box must perform that function as well?)

thx

edit: let me guess, it's DRM right? and playon and roku
have agreed to play by DRM rules/fees?
__________________
Q: dad, when will you stop changing all the electronics?
A: never, so you might as well get used to it.

Last edited by cat6man; 06-13-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
sic0048 sic0048 is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,263
You are pretty much spot on with your initial post. Since SageTV isn't paying Netflix for the right to stream it to their system, some resourceful individuals have found a way around it. But it certainly is not officially supported by SageTV (similar to the way we have comskip in SageTV through user supported addons).

Anyway, the work around does require Playon to work. Up until May 20, 2010, you could buy a lifetime license from Playon for somewhere between $20 and $40 (depending on if you got it on sale). It is their "basic" service and it won't include a lot of the newere stuff/channels that Playon is supporting now. But it at least got you the major networks and a few cable stations for that one price and no yearly subscription fees.

However, Playon has changed their pricing model now. As you have noticed, it required a yearly subscription fee now. But it will allow you access to a lot more content. It is $39.99 for the first year, and then $19.99 each year after the first. So basically a $20 initial fee and $1.67 per month (although they do NOT bill that way). With the new Playon plugin for V7, you should be able to access any of the playon feeds that you get through SageTV.
__________________
i5 quad core server with about 10tb of space currently
SageTV v9 (64bit)
Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 cable card tuner (Spectrum cable)
OpenDCT
HD-100 HD Extenders
HD-300 HD Extenders
Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM
panteragstk's Avatar
panteragstk panteragstk is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
my non-technical neighbor has fios and recently purchased
a roku box and after only 1 hour on the phone with tech
support in india, he was able to run netflix on his home system.
netflix streaming is a low priority item in my house but just in case
my tech-cred is questioned with my neighbor having a
functionality lacking in my houseold, i thought i'd investigate
streaming netflix via sagetv and hd200.

i've searched around the forum here and it seems
that the upnp browser plugin works fine with playon
as a method of accessing Netflix but playon requires both a
purchase fee AND a yearly fee (hey, i already pay a monthly
fee for netflix), which is not what i am looking for.

is there another way currently to access netflix via sagetv?
if not, can someone explain the technical issues of why
an intermediary like playon is required and what functionality
playon provides that a sage plugin cannot not do on it's own?
(i assume the roku box must perform that function as well?)

thx

edit: let me guess, it's DRM right? and playon and roku
have agreed to play by DRM rules/fees?
I used the old netflix plugin for sagemc, and when it used to work it was awesome. You could manage everything in netflix and watch now worked great even after netflix went to a silverlight player. I'd love to see a new version of this plugin, but since netflix keeps changing their site and the plugin author no longer maintains the plugin we are left with playon. I have yet to try it, but I just hope it is compatible with the HD netflix stuff and I will be content with it at that point.
__________________
SageTV Server: unRAID Docker v9, S2600CPJ, Norco 24 hot swap bay case, 2x Xeon 2670, 64 GB DDR3, 3x Colossus for DirecTV, HDHR for OTA
Living room: nVidia Shield TV, Sage Mini Client, 65" Panasonic VT60
Bedroom: Xiomi Mi Box, Sage Mini Client, 42" Panasonic PZ800u
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
mayamaniac's Avatar
mayamaniac mayamaniac is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,177
umm, you can get a roku player for $100 if you don't want to pay the PlayOn fee. Also, netflix works through the Xbox360 and PS3.
__________________
Mayamaniac

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
cat6man's Avatar
cat6man cat6man is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West of NYC, East of SF
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
umm, you can get a roku player for $100 if you don't want to pay the PlayOn fee. Also, netflix works through the Xbox360 and PS3.
yes, i could, as my non-technical neighbor/friend did...................but what is the fun of that? (it's a low priority for me anyway.........and i already have 2 hd200 and am waiting on purchasing an hd300 one of these days.......don't need no more boxes)

cheers
__________________
Q: dad, when will you stop changing all the electronics?
A: never, so you might as well get used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Keo Keo is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32
Supported on extenders?

Does the playon plugin work on the sageTV extenders as well?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM
gplasky's Avatar
gplasky gplasky is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 9,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keo View Post
Does the playon plugin work on the sageTV extenders as well?
Yes. But you can only use Playon with one extender at a time. Not a problem for most people.

Gerry
__________________
Big Gerr
_______
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
subhadipsas subhadipsas is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 21
Picture Quality

As per my experience, Play On's functionality and picture quality for Netflix integration is far inferior to the dedicated solutions. For example, watching the next episode of a series, resuming multiple movies where left off did not work for me with Play On. I finally gave up even after paying the fees to Play On and settled for the PS3 plug-in. The picture quality and functionality is far superior.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM
panteragstk's Avatar
panteragstk panteragstk is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhadipsas View Post
As per my experience, Play On's functionality and picture quality for Netflix integration is far inferior to the dedicated solutions. For example, watching the next episode of a series, resuming multiple movies where left off did not work for me with Play On. I finally gave up even after paying the fees to Play On and settled for the PS3 plug-in. The picture quality and functionality is far superior.
Yes, playon does leave a lot to be desired. The interface could be improved, but the video quality is not changing until playon changes it. I think someday we will see an official netflix plugin, but we won't know a thing about it until it comes out.
__________________
SageTV Server: unRAID Docker v9, S2600CPJ, Norco 24 hot swap bay case, 2x Xeon 2670, 64 GB DDR3, 3x Colossus for DirecTV, HDHR for OTA
Living room: nVidia Shield TV, Sage Mini Client, 65" Panasonic VT60
Bedroom: Xiomi Mi Box, Sage Mini Client, 42" Panasonic PZ800u
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix Control: A Netflix Silverlight Remote Control Script brainbone SageMC Custom Interface 59 04-22-2013 01:44 PM
Netflix on the HD Theater Rezolution SageTV HD Theater - Media Player 38 06-04-2009 07:23 AM
Netflix TheNakedMan SageTV Media Extender 2 02-25-2009 05:55 PM
Help with SageTV and netflix please! Tzerial SageTV Customizations 5 02-01-2009 11:25 AM
Watch it now on Netflix SageGk SageTV Customizations 3 04-09-2008 07:47 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.