SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Sage User

Adding a second HDHR

I recently added a new HDHR and am having troubles. I am currently running SageTV 6 on WHS with an HDHR (both tuners are recognized). The HDHRs are running the latest firmware.

Specifically, it is not being recognized in SageTV. When I go to "setup video sources" I do not see the new HDHR as an option to setup.

I have looked at the sage.properties file and it is not listed as "ignore"
I have run the HDHR setup and listed SageTV as the application to be used.

The HDHR setup recognizes both devices (4 tuners). And they all work.

I had purchased the second tuner to experiment with MythTV and it worked fine there, but for the time being (Olympics) I wanted to add a third tuner. And so I am trying to move it from the Myth system to Sage. The Myth system of course is off for now.

I would also point out that the MythTV system saw both of the HDHRs.

Any help/Ideas?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-tivoman View Post
I recently added a new HDHR and am having troubles. I am currently running SageTV 6 on WHS with an HDHR (both tuners are recognized). The HDHRs are running the latest firmware.

Specifically, it is not being recognized in SageTV. When I go to "setup video sources" I do not see the new HDHR as an option to setup.

I have looked at the sage.properties file and it is not listed as "ignore"
I have run the HDHR setup and listed SageTV as the application to be used.

The HDHR setup recognizes both devices (4 tuners). And they all work.

I had purchased the second tuner to experiment with MythTV and it worked fine there, but for the time being (Olympics) I wanted to add a third tuner. And so I am trying to move it from the Myth system to Sage. The Myth system of course is off for now.

I would also point out that the MythTV system saw both of the HDHRs.

Any help/Ideas?
Hi, did you ever find a solution to this problem with adding a 2nd dual HDHomeRun and SageTV not recognizing it? I just got a 2nd dual HDHomeRun and I'm having the exact same problem you are describing. I have done so much troubleshooting that I am at the point where if I really want it to work I may have to format, reinstall Windows, SageTV, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Sage User

Problem Solved

I am posting this reply a little late. I resolved my problem on my own long ago after many different angles. So I at this time I am not sure exactly how I resolved the situation. But I do remember one thing I did that in retrospect was one of those "How could I have been so stupid to have overlooked that" moments.

Specifically, I use WHS. In the process of fixing the problem I tried upgrading to Sage 7. I then later upgraded my WHS to the 2011 version.

Resolution. I run WHS and client software on computers along with SageTV boxes 100, and 200s. WHS generally runs as a headless system. So when I ran the HDHR setup program it was on my client computer. But, this does not correctly setup the HDHR on the WHS. Once I accessed the WHS through Remote Client and ran the HDHR setup Sage could recognize the tuner. The HDHR setup places some files on the system it is being run on.

So I hope this helps anybody who has the same problems.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

second HDHR

Thanks for posting your resolution. But unfortunately I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with SageTV v7 as a service and HDHR setup is currently also running on the same box. I've tried doing the setup of HDHR with SageTV service running and doing it with the service stopped. I am at a my wits end on this and am considering formatting and doing a complete reinstall of Windows and refresh of my configuration. Thanks again for your response.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceb5 View Post
Thanks for posting your resolution. But unfortunately I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with SageTV v7 as a service and HDHR setup is currently also running on the same box. I've tried doing the setup of HDHR with SageTV service running and doing it with the service stopped. I am at a my wits end on this and am considering formatting and doing a complete reinstall of Windows and refresh of my configuration. Thanks again for your response.
Are all of the tuners showing up properly in the Silicon Dust software?
Do you have UAC enabled or disabled in Windows 7?
Is Sage installed in the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV)?
If you look in the Sage install directory, do you see a *.frq and *.scn file for each HDHR tuner?
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Quote:
Are all of the tuners showing up properly in the Silicon Dust software?
YES all 4 HDHR tuners show up properly in HDHR software.
Quote:
Do you have UAC enabled or disabled in Windows 7?
UAC is disabled.
Quote:
Is Sage installed in the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV)?
SageTV is installed in default location.
Quote:
If you look in the Sage install directory, do you see a *.frq and *.scn file for each HDHR tuner?
My original HDHR tuners have *.frq files but not the new HDHR tuners and because I am using OTA HDHR does not generate *.scn files so not having the *.scn files is not an issue I have never had those files even with the HDHR tuner that does work
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Try just coping your .scn files to match the name of the new tuner. I had to do that once, but I forget why. This also save a lot of time scanning. I'm not 100% sure this "cheat" will help, if SageTV isn't even seeing the second (3rd and 4th) tuner.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not have *.scn files I only have the *.frq files for HDHR tuner # 1 & 2. So I copied the 2 *.frq files and changed the name to match the name of the new HDHR tuner # 3 & 4, of course I stopped the SageTV service before copying and renaming the files. After starting the SageTV service still the 2 new tuners are not found by SageTV as available sources.

One thing I didn't think to mention earlier is that I also have a Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Card with 2 tuners, but I didn't suspect it would cause me problems, would it?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Sage Icon

OK, here are my suggestion. (Note, I haven't setup OTA in ages!) (backup SageTV first!)

First, turn the SageTV "service" off. Run everything from the client. This way you know if SageTV is running or not. I ALWAYS install SageTV this way for this reason. Shutdown SageTV.

Second, run the HDHR software "HDHomeRun Setup". and make sure you select all 4 tuners for all the steps. I'd also try the "Repair/Reinstall Windows components".

Third, start up SageTV. Look for tuners. Let us know what happens?

(As a last resort, copy the tuner properties from the working tuners to a text file, and do a replace on the tuner name, then paste that back in. There might be one or 2 other properties you'll have to add. I do have an OTA system I can look at to help. Someone else did it this way.)

Sure hope we can get you running!!!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure the tuner didn't end up in the mmc/ignore_encoders= line in the .properties file.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure you are looking on the correct screen for it? You won't see the new tuners on the 'Setup Video Sources' screen until they are actually configured. You have to then go to 'Add New Source', where they should be listed.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you all for the suggestions, I tried everything suggested here. I ended up spending all day yesterday reinstalling Windows and all my codecs, sagetv, etc. I followed the installation proceedures exactly and still after a fresh install only my 1 HDHR is found in the 'Add New Source' in SageTV. I even ran the HDHR firmware upgrade on both HDHR devices so they are both up to date and still SageTV still only sees my original HDHR as a source, well with the exception of my Hauppauge card as well, no problems finding that device either. I can watch a broadcast on all 4 tuners using the 'HDHomeRun Config GUI' so I know both HDHR devices work. Not sure what to try now?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
OK, here are my suggestion. (Note, I haven't setup OTA in ages!) (backup SageTV first!)

First, turn the SageTV "service" off. Run everything from the client. This way you know if SageTV is running or not. I ALWAYS install SageTV this way for this reason. Shutdown SageTV.

Second, run the HDHR software "HDHomeRun Setup". and make sure you select all 4 tuners for all the steps. I'd also try the "Repair/Reinstall Windows components".

Third, start up SageTV. Look for tuners. Let us know what happens?

(As a last resort, copy the tuner properties from the working tuners to a text file, and do a replace on the tuner name, then paste that back in. There might be one or 2 other properties you'll have to add. I do have an OTA system I can look at to help. Someone else did it this way.)

Sure hope we can get you running!!!
What other properties might need to add are you referring to? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceb5 View Post
What other properties might need to add are you referring to? Thanks.
OK, just looked at the sage.properties, of the only OTA system I support, and as far as the tuners go, I see no extra properties between the 2/4 tuners. There are a few seeker properties, but I don't see how they can matter. Don't forget there are 2 tuners per device, you you'll need to copy both, and the change 2 sets of entries, not just 1.

BTW, I've never done this, but someone else said he did in one of the other HDHR Threads. Make 100% sure you have a backup before trying this!!!!

Also, I have NO idea where SageTV get's it's tuner "number" from!!!! Not sure if it's random or somehow tied to the tuner.

You will also need to change the lines that look like this:
mmc/encoders/-1125736094/video_capture_device_name=Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner XXXXXXXX-0

To the name of your tuner!!!!! (twice)

I'm also not sure what your lineups will look like when you do this.

Sure hope this works.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hello, first off I want to thank everyone who provided feedback and possible solutions to my problem. I have finally gotten both HDHR devices to work with SageTV. Since trying everything suggested, in the end I got it to work by the following steps:
1- removed HDHR source from SageTV
2- shutdown SageTV and turned off the SageTV service, disabled SageTV service so it would not start at bootup
3- disabled both HDHR devices in the HDHR Setup Software
4- unplugged ethernet cable from both HDHR devices
5- again ran HDHR Setup Software with no devices connected
6- shutdown and reboot PC
7- plugged ethernet cable back into both HDHR devices
8- ran HDHR Setup Software, both devices (4 tuners) were found
9- test all 4 tuners using HDHR Quick TV
10- started SageTV (SageTV Service still disabled) - went to add video sources and all 4 tuners were now recognized by SageTV, did not add them as source at this point.
11- shutdown SageTV
12- enabled and started SageTV Service
13- started SageTV - went into add video sources and all 4 tuners were now recognized - added all 4 tuners as source.
14- tested SageTV recording 4 simultaneous broadcasts using all 4 tuners - Success!

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Glad you got it working, and thank you for posting the "fix" so if anyone else has issues, they can use your steps!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

no signal error

I'm having an issue with HDHR reinstalled. I can watch fine from the preview HDHR tools but in Sage I am receiving no signal.

I've removed the tuner and added it with no luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit View Post
I'm having an issue with HDHR reinstalled. I can watch fine from the preview HDHR tools but in Sage I am receiving no signal.

I've removed the tuner and added it with no luck.
OTA or cable?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cable

How painful.

In short I uninstalled all tuners from Sage and system, disconnected them physically (including Hauppauge hdprvr removal from Sage). Add everything back in, scans, configure lineup.

Two hours later issue fixed. After that I was too tired to watch TV.

Tags
hdhomerun, hdhr, setup, tuner