SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

SageTV running in VMware Fusion?

I have an older 8 core Mac Pro that is getting less and less use so I would love to switch over to using it partly to run a VM of Windows 7 for Sage and partly for internet/word processing/etc. I've got everything up and running, but as soon as I try to stream video onto an extender it causes the extenders to crash. At first I thought maybe it was because I was recording to HFS drives connected to the Mac Pro via eSATA so I converted one of my internal drives to Fat32 and it still is doing it. I have my network connections set to Bridged (didn't work to set it to "auto").

Anyone have any ideas? I can access the GUI on the extenders no problem, but as soon as I try to play it completely crashes the extender. All firewalls are off (both the Mac and the Windows). Sooooo close....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

Suggest #1 - install boot camp or parallels and just dual boot into Windows. When you want a Mac (doesnt sound very frequently) then just boot into OSX.

Of course you need to bridge - as you need to be physically on the network and not NAT'd. Make sure you assign a static IP as well.

You should always run NTFS on windows partitions, never FAT32.

If you insist on running inside a VM on an OSX host then install NTFS-3G (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g) on the OSX and format the partition to NTFS (the Mac will now be able to read/write it)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I have multiple reasons for running VM. Such as:

1. Restarting the VM without having to restart the entire computer (I use my server as an iTunes server as well, so I can leave iTunes on the Mac OS and not interrupt anyone who is currently accessing music and/or videos).

2. My only Windows PC left is my Sage Server, I would love to be rid of it (sure it's more vanity than anything, but whatever).

3. Running bootcamp means that the entire computer is dedicated to Windows, which would mean I would be unable to use any of my Mac software (which at this point is pretty much all the software I own) and dedicating 8 cores (even if they are old Clovertown Xeons) seems very overkill especially since I don't use placeshifter.

Anyway, the good news is you were right. It was the use of Fat32 instead of NTFS. After reformatting my test drive to NTFS, streaming worked beautifully. Unfortunately NTFS-3G isn't Lion/Mt. Lion compatible since the developer moved it to a commercially available program, so I guess I get to spend $32 for this functionality after 15 days (really not a big deal, compared to what I usually spend on software any given month).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Sage Icon

Yes NTFS-3G isn't free but it is well worth it.
Sorry meant to send you the Tuxera link originally:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac

Glad to hear everything is running smoothly now.

If only we can convert you back to Windows it would be perfect
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
If only we can convert you back to Windows it would be perfect
Won't do it!!! Especially if Windows 8 is the "future". Man, and they said OSX was going too far with the iOS like features! Having to install a 3rd party app just so you can get "normal" windows like functionality back is not cool.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Sage Icon

I just install "Start8" (http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/)

And then it rocks! Give it a whirl - definitely the best Windows yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
I just install "Start8" (http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/)

And then it rocks! Give it a whirl - definitely the best Windows yet.
That's my point, having to install 3rd party software just to get back to the "old" windows is just sad. Why even leave Windows 7 then? At least with OSX, I can just not use the "iOS features" in Mt. Lion.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

There isn't a 'need'
Metro is actually quite cool
And just hit Windows-D to flip to desktop.
I'm just stuck in my old ways and like the classic Start Menu
Metro basically acts a a giant graphical interactive start menu.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sflamm,

Do u notice any Improvements or issues with win 8 vs win7 (also in sage). I just got an intel NuC that I setup win7 on for a sage client and was thinking bout using win8. This box is purely dedicated to htpc use. Which is mostly 95% sage.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

I installed Windows 8 on my main family room SageTV client which is a dedicated HTPC. It was previously running Windows 7 with the SageTV client. The approach I took was to dual boot the machine so that if there was a problem with Windows 8 I could quickly fall back with a simply reboot (as it is a production machine).

The Windows 8 machine is up and running perfectly. Unlike Windows 7 it is excellent about installing all the right drivers itself. The only item that you need to pay attention to is to install the Windows Media Center Pack if you want to use the Microsoft DTV-DVD MPEG2 codec (DXVA) support (simply install - no need to configure). I use the Arcsoft TMT5 codecs for H264 and VC1. One other item to note is that when configuring the SageTV Java Heap size the registry key is in a new virtual store location (simple to find just search registry).

I have noticed that the machine wakes and sleeps quicker than Windows 7. I used to have more of a delay waiting for Windows to recognize my IR remote after sleep - this seems to have been eliminated with Windows 8.
It is quicker overall than Windows 7 but that does not seem to affect the user experience inside SageTV appreciably (how fast does it need the OS to be).

Btw, the box is an old E6300 with a Silent 8600GT card and has always had no problem performance wise running all my media smoothly.

Over the last couple months I have upgraded all my other Windows 7 boxes to Windows 8 - it is very stable and I have seen no issues.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Sage Icon

Also this is a Windows 8 x32 install - as the existing box only has 4GB memory and there really will never be a need to dump more in (dedicated HTPC).
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
I was basically forced to upgrade to win8, as the upgrade price was soooo cheap, and almost like clockwork, the oem version of win7 I was using was finally outed as non-genuine (just 10 days after win8 release date). I'm actually impressed by how much faster it runs. It also uses less power as my UPS reports. I could care less about metro. I love how easy it is to setup bluetooth speakers and stuff like that. But I only ever use the desktop as this machine is either used for tweaking or update sagetv settings, or posting to this forum. So Metro apps are useless to me. But having a legit version of windows and being able to afford it was nice. Some of the apps I use across ios and windows are starting to mimic their UI's on each device, which is also nice. I assume that one day using updates to smart tv's and possibly using the kinects or something similar Win8, Xbox and everything else could all have a very similar "remoteless" interface. Making things a little more interesting, and maybe a reason to take another look at WMC. But that seems way down the road.