SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage Expert

dvd VIDEO_TS play back issue

I have been using DVDShrink since the beginning of time... and I have always had the "break vob up into 1 gig chunks" checkbox checked... and its always just worked...
but over the weekend my cool little Woot optima pico projector thingy showed up and I was playing with dvd shrink to try and get something that the little projector would play... at some point I unchecked the break up the vob into tiny little pieces checkbox...
then I ripped my new "Big Bad Wolf" (not an extremely good movie fwiw) DVD... didn't notice it just ripped to one big vob...
the one big vob played just fine on my desktop using VLC but it would not play on my HD300, it just got the blank/black screen that it switches to right before it starts playing, and stayed there... fast forward didn't work...
it wasn't hung as such, as stop exited just like it should, but it wouldn't play...

ended up just loading the big vob back into DVDShrink and re-doing it with the break into small chunks checkbox checked and it then played just fine...

just curious, does sage not like like one big VOB? or is it just the HD300 that doesn't like one big VOB? if so why?
bluray & HD DVD .mkv's are just one big file (huge really, much bigger then the vob) and they play fine... so it can't be a file size limit/issue...
if I just renamed the one big .vob to mpg would it work then?
is DVDshrink just mangling the header or something?

also, whats the point of the little LED pico projectors? sure they are fun cool toys and all... but I can't figure out what its actual purpose in life is suppose to be???
they aren't bright enough to be 'real' projectors....
Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Sage Expert

why did this get moved to extender subforum?
is it really an extender issue?
seems more likely a Sage s/w issue as I am reasonably kinda sorta sure the extender is just fine?

or is there some sort of auto bot type form filter that automatically searches a thread for any mention of an extender and immediately moves it to the extender subforum regardless of whether the extender has anything to dop with the issue at hand?

actually just a guess, but my uninformed guess would list the possible culprits in order of likelihood as:
  1. operator error (wouldn't be the first time)
  2. DVDShrink issue
  3. SageTV software issue
  4. .
  5. .
  6. .
  7. Extender/HD300 issue
but I could be wrong...