SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Twin tuner woes

I bought dvbsky s952 to replace my technotrend s3600. I see some others have this card working. I can only get one tuner to work at any one time. Both tuners work separately but when I add the other tuner from the card I lose all the channels on the first tuner (Some times one or two channels remain working). I have tried them on the same lineup and on separate lineups. I have up dated to the latest drivers. If I restart my pc and check the tuners they both appear to work but when I return to the tuner I checked first the problem starts again ( the channels will not work). Even on the not working channels the signal shows 90-100%. Any ideas ?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

I know this sounds like a bizarre solution, but check your power supply. I had a mythtv setup where I had 3 PVR-250 cards in there. The cards would be erratic, and I was pulling my hair out. After a suggestion from another member, I checked the P/S and it was nominal and dying. I changed it out, and the system stabilized.

Don't know if it's your problem, but might be worth looking at, anyway.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I will try that thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
I know this sounds like a bizarre solution, but check your power supply. I had a mythtv setup where I had 3 PVR-250 cards in there. The cards would be erratic, and I was pulling my hair out. After a suggestion from another member, I checked the P/S and it was nominal and dying. I changed it out, and the system stabilized.

Don't know if it's your problem, but might be worth looking at, anyway.
Yep, quite a good idea actually. If I recall jamesdisco whom uses one of this tuner clearly stated that you need to power supply the card in order to make it working and it must be good and stable too. Recently my power supply started to play a little bit and eventualy gave up after 5 years of glorious service, but in the meantime I was having all sorts of instability issues which I didn't think was caused by it...

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

You might also consider this suggestion:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=561991&postcount=6

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks guys, will looka t both suggestions.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have upgraded my power supply from a 300w unit to a 750w unit and tried the tuner preroll but this has made no deference.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
I have upgraded my power supply from a 300w unit to a 750w unit and tried the tuner preroll but this has made no deference.
I think with this we need to start from scratch, shall we? First of all please stop sagetv and remove any "mmc/" entries in the sagetv.properties, then please make sure you have a valid and update Predefined-DVB-S.frq file containing at least one valid entry in the Astra 28.2 section (get the information of the transponder where BBC1 is for instance) this is important to perform a valid channel scan, you're going to reject the channels, but sagetv needs to initialise and mount the tuner properly. You need to repeat the operation for both tuners, then make sure you have valid .FRQ files for both tuners and you added the channels to the lineup for the first tuner and you have used the "copy from existing lineup" option for the second tuner, this way you have both configured and mounted properly, finally when everything is up and running you can decide for the EPG option.
What is strikes me is the fact that in your first post you were saying the even the tuner that didn't work reported 90-100% signal, well that sounds to me that the tuner is working properly, but what is missing is the connection in the lineup between the logical and physical channel which is normally the same for DVB setup.

I'm quite happy to go over the phone and help you with this if you're stuck.

Eddy

Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Eddy. I will try this. What you suggest is the problem makes sense. When I first fitted the card, I added the first tuner to sage, performed a scan, repeated this for the second tuner then disabled the channels I didn't want for both tuner scans. I added the first tuners lineup to Stephens xmltv importer and then chose that as the EPG lineup for both tuners. When this did not work I added the second tuner lineup to Stephens importer and tried using a separate lineup for each tuner. Same result.
What happens is in the sage sources section when I have one tuner working fine, I add the second tuner and check the channels they work fine. When I switch to the first tuner to check the channels they work fine but when I return to check tuner two again it won't tune (for some reason sometimes one or two random channels work but not always.)
Does this tally with your ideas on what the problem is.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
Thanks Eddy. I will try this. What you suggest is the problem makes sense. When I first fitted the card, I added the first tuner to sage, performed a scan, repeated this for the second tuner then disabled the channels I didn't want for both tuner scans. I added the first tuners lineup to Stephens xmltv importer and then chose that as the EPG lineup for both tuners. When this did not work I added the second tuner lineup to Stephens importer and tried using a separate lineup for each tuner. Same result.
What happens is in the sage sources section when I have one tuner working fine, I add the second tuner and check the channels they work fine. When I switch to the first tuner to check the channels they work fine but when I return to check tuner two again it won't tune (for some reason sometimes one or two random channels work but not always.)
Does this tally with your ideas on what the problem is.
Also, I would enable the native tuner debug mode to check what sagetv is doing when tuning. Plese follow the instruction here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...786#post559786

Eddy