SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

converting videos MCE buddy

So I tried MCE buddy a while ago and it just took way to long or looked crappy. Surely I am doing something wrong...

My primary goal is to create files that Plex or Media Browser 3 can play via a Roku. And do it automatically. Right now the size of the files is irrelevant to me.

A lot of the tutorials I've seen seem to be for older versions. I've purchased the 'early access' and as far as I know am running the latest version (downloaded a few days ago)

Running mp4 'fast' and sliding the width all the way to the right (unlimited) resulted in horrible quality huge files.
My best results so far have actually been with the "Xbox" profile, but it's pretty fuzzy on a big screen

I've also tried mp4 'normal' and 'high quality' --- My PC is an AMD A-10 3.8ghz quad core. My os drive is an SSD and the files being converted reside locally. How long should I expect 'normal' or 'high' to take? I've read the latest version of MCE buddy is FAST. 2 or 8 hours to convert a 1 hour show isn't fast to me.

I know fast <> quality ... but what is a realistic expectation for one hour of HD TV? If I could convert it to DVD quality that would be good enough.

All - I posted this over at the green button forums as well. But was wondering if someone here had some guidance? So the recordings are coming from WMC. Maybe I am expecting to much but I can't believe people are spending 8 hours to convert one hour of HD video..
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
So I tried MCE buddy a while ago and it just took way to long or looked crappy. Surely I am doing something wrong...

My primary goal is to create files that Plex or Media Browser 3 can play via a Roku. And do it automatically. Right now the size of the files is irrelevant to me.

A lot of the tutorials I've seen seem to be for older versions. I've purchased the 'early access' and as far as I know am running the latest version (downloaded a few days ago)

Running mp4 'fast' and sliding the width all the way to the right (unlimited) resulted in horrible quality huge files.
My best results so far have actually been with the "Xbox" profile, but it's pretty fuzzy on a big screen

I've also tried mp4 'normal' and 'high quality' --- My PC is an AMD A-10 3.8ghz quad core. My os drive is an SSD and the files being converted reside locally. How long should I expect 'normal' or 'high' to take? I've read the latest version of MCE buddy is FAST. 2 or 8 hours to convert a 1 hour show isn't fast to me.

I know fast <> quality ... but what is a realistic expectation for one hour of HD TV? If I could convert it to DVD quality that would be good enough.

All - I posted this over at the green button forums as well. But was wondering if someone here had some guidance? So the recordings are coming from WMC. Maybe I am expecting to much but I can't believe people are spending 8 hours to convert one hour of HD video..
I created a Profile that uses Constant Quality that is recommended by handbrake people...It is much faster. You can change "-q 20" to any number you want the lower the better quality.

Code:
[MKVED Fast]
Description=Average quality 1 pass MKV (H.264/AC3). Good for SD videos. Fastest and smallest conversion but lower quality, more sensitive to errors in the source video.
order=handbrake,ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec libx264 -b 1000k -x264opts cabac=0:ref=2:bframes=1:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6:me=hex:b-adapt=0:threads=auto -map 0:v -sn
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec ac3 -ab 128k -map 0:a
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec ac3 -ab 160k -map 0:a
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
handbrake-general=--loose-anamorphic --verbose=2 -f mp4 -4
handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 --preset Normal -q 20
handbrake-audio=-E ffac3 -R auto -B 128 -D 0 -a 1,2,3,4,5
handbrake-audioac3=-E ffac3 -R auto -B 160 -D 0 -a 1,2,3,4,5
handbrake-ext=.mp4
handbrake-remuxto=.mkv
handbrake-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true
AutoDeinterlace=false

[----------------------]
Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Where are your original files coming from - you said that they are from WMC - but are they HD, SD, 1080i, 720p? Are they OTA/QAM or some other format?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

nyplayer - thanks for the profile, and because of it I learned something (i think) about MCE buddy ... I thought the settings were all controlled by the settings a check boxes - that the profile was just a 'starting point' looking at it, it looks like the settings are to fine tune a profile.. Not totally define it?

In any event, thank you for your profile... I literally just completed converting all my recordings using your profile! Not sure but I may want something 'better' in time. but this filled the bill for now for "just what I was looking for" - Thank you.

Wayner - my original files are coming from WMC recordings, my tuners are Silicon Dust HD Primes. I'd imagine most of it is 720p? and a lot is 1080i? It's all CBS,NBC,ABC, Fox, USA, History, A&E, Discovery, and food network. No sports to speak off.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300