SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Struggling with forced_video_storage_path_prefix setting

I have SageTV running on Arch Linux and its running great. However I'm trying to configure an R5000-HD server on a separate Windows box. I have the R5000 server configured with FreeNFS and an NFS shared directory that is mounted on the SageTV Linux box. It works well, both systems can see the share and read/write to it. The problem I'm having is using the forced_video_storage_path_prefix option to tell SageTV to record the R5000 recordings to only the NFS share and not the local drives. I added the forced_video_storage_path_prefix settings to Sage.properties but after I added the R5000 share to the Video Recording directories in Sage, SageTV sometimes records R5000 recordings to the NFS share and all is good, but it often still tries to record to the local recording directories, and of course fails.

Here's my entry for in the Sage.properties file:
mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=/mnt/R5000_Recordings

/mnt/R5000_Recordings is the mount point on the Linux server and the NFS share on the R5000 Windows box is C:\mnt\R5000_Recordings. I also tried using //mnt/R5000_Recordings and even ///mnt/R5000_Recordings but it fails to only record R5000 recordings only to this directory.

Can anyone tell me the exact entry I should use in Sage.properties to make this work? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

How exactly is the recording folder written in the sage.properties file?

Should be in seeker/video_storage=

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies guys. My line in Sage.properties looks like this:

mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=//mnt//R5000_Recordings

On the Windows R5000 box (a Windows 7 system), the NF mount is actually tied to c:\mnt/R5000_Recordings, but the NFS server serves it to the Linux box mounted as /mnt/R5000_Recordings.

There was actually already a blank entry there for each tuner that said:
mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=

So I just added my entry to the end of that. Should it look different than this? Remember this is a Linux server so my record directories in Sage.properties start with / rather than drive letters in Windows. Thanks again guys.

checkbin

Last edited by checkbin; 12-10-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkbin View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. My line in Sage.properties looks like this:

mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=//mnt//R5000_Recordings

On the Windows R5000 box (a Windows 7 system), the NF mount is actually tied to c:\mnt/R5000_Recordings, but the NFS server serves it to the Linux box mounted as /mnt/R5000_Recordings.

There was actually already a blank entry there for each tuner that said:
mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=

So I just added my entry to the end of that. Should it look different than this? Remember this is a Linux server so my record directories in Sage.properties start with / rather than drive letters in Windows. Thanks again guys.

checkbin
Are you sure that it shouldn't look like this:
mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=\/mnt\/R5000_Recordings

I think you need to use the "\" backslash as an escape character.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

That makes sense Tiki, and format I didn't try it yet. I will give it a shot and post my results. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

The text in the force_video_storage_path_prefix needs to match the beginning of one (or more) of the entries in seeker/video_storage=

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know if you are going to be able to use the R5000 running on a windows box to record for a linux server. Sage passes the full absolute path to the R5000 app to tell it where to write the file, it'd then up to the R5000 app to do so, so it needs to know what to do with /mnt/R5000_Recordings/ThisShow-12345.mpg, and where to record it.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I actually have it working, somewhat, since Sage.properties is configured to use the R5000 as a network encoder. The problem is that sometimes the SageTV Linux box starts recording R5000 recordings to the /mnt/R5000_Recordings directory and all is good. Playback shows up fine on my HD300. The problem is sometimes it tries instead to go to my Linux local file system and of course fails. Similarly, I also have HD Homerun Primes that sometimes work recording locally on the Linux box. But other times Sage decides to send that recording to the R5000 NFS path and so they fail too. I just need to be able to force each tuner to its correct record directory if I can ever get this forced_storage_path option condfigured correctly.

A soon as my wifes' recordings complete, I'm going to try Tiki's suggestion to use the escape \ in front of the path and see what happens.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

how is the windows r5000hd client knowing what /mnt/R5000_Recordings means?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

And what is your seeker/video_storage= property?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok I implemented the setting as Tiki recommended in Sage.properties, and some quick testing appears to show it is all working properly now. I will need t run it for a bit and make sure both all the R5000 and HD Prime recordings work properly, but it is certainly looking good. I will follow up, once I know this setting works but if sure looks good so far.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

"how is the windows r5000hd client knowing what /mnt/R5000_Recordings means?"

I have the Windows server with the R5000 configured with a c:\mnt\Sage_Recordings and as I said, this is an NFS share to the Linux SageTV server as well. When Sage says to record to /mnt/R5000_Recordings, the R5000 shows it is doing a "Save As" to /mnt/R5000_Recordings/<progran name>".

Once I have this working, I can write up a short how to, in case any other Linux user would like to use this with an R500 or other network encoder on a remote Windows box. Now that it looks like I have it working, it's really a cool set up. :-)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes please on the guide or anything you can share! I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get r5000 and the unraid/docker version of sage to speak the same language. I had essentially given up until I saw your posts, no idea how i hadnt run across before.

My situation is an UNRAID server with a win7 VM (although it can be any VM if that matters). The VM hosts two r5000 dish vip 211s and it also has an instance of regular windows sagetv installed for testing, and the r5000s work just fine within windows sage. I have attempted numerous ways of getting them to work with the docker version with no success, and the prmary issue seems to be the way docker tells the r5000 software on windows where to store the file. Seems like you figured that out.

Would you mind posting any pertinent lines from your sage.prop file, such as the mmc/encoder ones and any storage paths you had to modify?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

making a little headway, but still floundering. I have successfully mounted the \mnt\user\r5000 on a standalone win10 box as R: using windows' builtin NFS Client Services (or whatever). Same box also has r5000 usb tuners confirmed working with local windows sage for testing.

Sage TV Docker Path 2 is /mnt/user/r5000
mmc/encoders/12347/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=\/mnt\/user\/r5000
seeker/video_storage=\/mnt\/user\/r5000

No matter what i do, seeker/video storage will revert back to var/media/tv upon starting the docker. Attempting to record via placeshifter puts 0kb files into /mnt/user/r 5000/tv that i can only see by browsing the share within unraid gui

I cannot see how it is deciding to add a space in r5000 and then tacking on the tv path

absolutely any info is appreciated.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
No matter what i do, seeker/video storage will revert back to var/media/tv upon starting the docker.
Remove the paths from "seeker/default_linux_recording_paths" and I think they will stop reverting back. They do for me. I usually remove the paths from all of the "seeker/default_linux..." properties file entries.

No input for rest. Your outside what I've tried.