SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Utility: SageBanner (Upcoming Recordings Display)

First off I want to say I've always wanted to contribute something to the community. I have reasonably good programming skills with vb.net and have whipped up a lot of applications I've found helpful when working with SageTV and other "life challenges".

SageBanner was created to replace a Yahoo Widget for Beyond TV, BTV Ticker. It basically reads a few RSS feeds from the nielm's web interface (specifically upcoming recordings & extender info) and then displays them in a large and clear banner style display. The banner doesn't drag around the screen, it just has three settings: top, bottom and (above the) taskbar.

I have an 18" monitor in my living room that I put into a picture frame and the BTV Ticker was on the bottom of the screen when I used to use Beyond TV. Well SageTV didn't really have anything exactly the same. I know there's a Vista widget, but it really doesn't work the same way as this does, nor was it designed with the intention to be highly visible from 20 feet away. So I wrote my own application and this was the result.

Recently, I added a whole lot of configuration options with the intention of releasing it to the public. I know the layout probably could still use some work (I'm really not great with layouts.), but I hope this fulfills someone's wish who maybe has a computer case with a built in screen or something like what I have.

I uploaded some screen shots into the Downloads area and will eventually have some up on this thread as well. Please let me know what you think or if you think something could be better. I'm very open to suggestions, though sometimes I'm a little pressed on time, so don't expect too much.

The SageBanner application is available in the Downloads area. Also, when you first open the application, at a minimum, it needs your server address, plus username and password if you have one. To exit or change the configuration, simply right-click on the banner.

Tags
display, info, rss, upcoming, windows