SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Miniclient and MXQ Pro 4K Ultra HD Quad-Core Streaming Media Player

I have exactly zero experience with the miniclient, but came across this in my Groupon feed this morning. Would it be a suitable client? The price seems right...

thx!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mxq...e7f_0_20171030
Old 10-30-2017, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I have exactly zero experience with the miniclient, but came across this in my Groupon feed this morning. Would it be a suitable client? The price seems right...

thx!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mxq...e7f_0_20171030
Will it work, likely. Will you end up cursing Android and it's creators, and wish a horrible death on them, likely.

If you buy this, then you have to be prepared with the fact, that you are NOT running Android TV that ships on MiBox2 and NVidia Shield, but rather you are running your Android Phone's operating system on a TV, and the usability, is about as good as you trying to use your remote to control your phone, but now, it'll be a 60inch phone.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Sage User

I'm not sure if that's the one I have, or just a similar (previous) model.
But it works alright. I have had it lock up sometimes, and does need to be reset periodically. But I am using it pretty much daily to watch either SageTV, or Plex.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Will it work, likely. Will you end up cursing Android and it's creators, and wish a horrible death on them, likely.

If you buy this, then you have to be prepared with the fact, that you are NOT running Android TV that ships on MiBox2 and NVidia Shield, but rather you are running your Android Phone's operating system on a TV, and the usability, is about as good as you trying to use your remote to control your phone, but now, it'll be a 60inch phone.
Interesting -- thank you for the comments. My wife wants 2 additional TVs next to the projection screen before the basketball tournament hits. TVs wouldn't be used much and I want to run SageTV to them on the cheap. As long as the live TV program feeds don't cut out on them, I'm not sure I care too much about the UI.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Interesting -- thank you for the comments. My wife wants 2 additional TVs next to the projection screen before the basketball tournament hits. TVs wouldn't be used much and I want to run SageTV to them on the cheap. As long as the live TV program feeds don't cut out on them, I'm not sure I care too much about the UI.
I'm not talking so much about the UI (it looks ok), it's the usability of the device. ie, because it's running android, and because it thinks it's a phone, you get apps that are designed for a phone, and not a TV. (Unlike Android TV, where you get apps designed for a TV). Even trying to install something from the Play Store, will make you want to crush it with a brick.

Personally, I'd spend a more and get the MiBox at Walmart. This is a $35 box... it's going to work and feel like a 35 box. It's not magically going work and feel like a $200 box, or even $100 box. Spec wise, these are good units, it's just the usability of the device is worse than anything you can imagine.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

What stuckless said - just spend a few more bucks and get a MiBox for $69 at Walmart.