SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Intel NUC D54250WYK as an extender

I recently finished a build to replace an HD300. The D54250WYK is the i5 Haswell version with a built in IR receiver.

Running Windows 7 with Sage it is an excellent replacement to my HD300. It's not the cheapest way to go as you need to still buy memory for it and an msata drive.
I couldn't get the sage remote to work with it, the NUC uses CIR6 signal, not sure what the sage remote is, maybe there is a way using IIRC to get it to communicate, but I really didn't get to far looking into it.
I used a Harmony 650 remote , setting it to a Windows Media Center profile, the NUC picked it up right away. Set Sage to use Media Centre remote and it work very well. The power off on the harmony shuts of the NUC, and hitting the watch tv command turns it on .

The NUC boots up as fast if not faster than an HD300.
Using Power DVD with Fuzzy's watchexternally plugin allows full Bluray use on ripped content. Power DVD doesn't close on its own after finishing the movie. So I'm still stuck using the cordless keyboard to do that. I'm sure there is away to map a remote key to do this or something else along these lines .

The unit runs without noise and is cooler than the HD300.
Size is about the same and sits on the shelf fitting in with the other devices nicely.
The picture quality is very crisp and clear, I dare say that Sage actually looks nicer than when running the HD300.

Movies, recorded TV, Blurays run just as they did on the HD300 and as smoothly as a Bluray disc. I haven't noticed any frame drops.
Cover art is almost instantaneous, unlike the HD300 which lags a tiny bit.
Only down side is when ffast fowrading or rewinding recorded TV there seems to be a brief pause of about 1-2 sec before it does so. I think this must be fixable in some buffering setting.

Also being able to play with MC, Plex, XBMC and having full internet access is fun.

----------------------

Edit - I have noticed that when I press the All Off botton on the harmony remote it puts the NUC into sleep. I'm sure there is a way to make it shut down completely. I have never played with mapping a remote in Windows yet. Perhaps Eventghost is the answer?

2xhd300

Last edited by toony; 03-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Sage Expert

Very cool.

I was thinking about doing that when my next extender shows signs of failing.

John
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
The picture quality is very crisp and clear, I dare say that Sage actually looks nicer than when running the HD300.
I believe that's because the Sage menu resolution is limited to 720 max on the HD300.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I believe that's because the Sage menu resolution is limited to 720 max on the HD300.
That would do it.

2xhd300
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I recently did the same as you except using the i3 version of the NUC. My experience is just as yours, it work very well.

I too have the pause before FF and RWd, I posted a question about it here and so far have not been able to solve it. Please post back if you figure something out.

Question for you, why do you use PowerDVD to play ripped Bluray content and not just use SageTV for that? I rip my movies whole disc and use SageTV for the playback.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
SageTVaholic

How's the deinterlacing/video processing on the NUC?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I recently finished a build to replace an HD300. The D54250WYK is the i5 Haswell version with a built in IR receiver.

Running Windows 7 with Sage it is an excellent replacement to my HD300. It's not the cheapest way to go as you need to still buy memory for it and an msata drive.
I couldn't get the sage remote to work with it, the NUC uses CIR6 signal, not sure what the sage remote is, maybe there is a way using IIRC to get it to communicate, but I really didn't get to far looking into it.
I used a Harmony 650 remote , setting it to a Windows Media Center profile, the NUC picked it up right away. Set Sage to use Media Centre remote and it work very well. The power off on the harmony shuts of the NUC, and hitting the watch tv command turns it on .

The NUC boots up as fast if not faster than an HD300.
Using Power DVD with Fuzzy's watchexternally plugin allows full Bluray use on ripped content. Power DVD doesn't close on its own after finishing the movie. So I'm still stuck using the cordless keyboard to do that. I'm sure there is away to map a remote key to do this or something else along these lines .

The unit runs without noise and is cooler than the HD300.
Size is about the same and sits on the shelf fitting in with the other devices nicely.

Movies, recorded TV, Blurays run just as they did on the HD300 and as smoothly as a Bluray disc. I haven't noticed any frame drops.
Cover art is almost instantaneous, unlike the HD300 which lags a tiny bit.
Only down side is when ffast fowrading or rewinding recorded TV there seems to be a brief pause of about 1-2 sec before it does so. I think this must be fixable in some buffering setting.

Also being able to play with MC, Plex, XBMC and having full internet access is fun.
Out of curiosity what Codecs did you have to add, did you have to add the REG change for "Sage TV Demux" I'm considering buying one but want to know how much extra work I'm in for. I had my Sage Server as a client for a while but found so many things that didn't work correctly without stutter or other issues that I moved completely to extenders.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post
I too have the pause before FF and RWd, I posted a question about it here and so far have not been able to solve it. Please post back if you figure something out.
The other recent post about FF/REW issues on Windows Clients had to do with a recent change to to microsoft's sercurity essentials. I don't recall the exact solution (since I don't run windows), but I recall a person having to tell MSE to exclude certain directories... (at least that was the problem/solution is a post I read recently)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The other recent post about FF/REW issues on Windows Clients had to do with a recent change to to microsoft's sercurity essentials. I don't recall the exact solution (since I don't run windows), but I recall a person having to tell MSE to exclude certain directories... (at least that was the problem/solution is a post I read recently)
This is not my issues since I do not run MSE on either client or server.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This is not my issues since I do not run MSE on either client or server.
I haven't had time to test the theory that removing ffdshow will get rid of the ff/rew problems but it is on my "to do" list.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Question for you, why do you use PowerDVD to play ripped Bluray content and not just use SageTV for that? I rip my movies whole disc and use SageTV for the playback.
My movies are ripped whole disc as well, but for Bluray Sage doesn't show the disc menu unlike when playing ripped DVD's. And when I have tried it, it doesn't always find the right .ts file and may play an extra. Or am I doing something wrong?

Powerdvd will open up and play automatically, just can't get it to shut off and switch back to Sage yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
How's the deinterlacing/video processing on the NUC?
I have it set to Deinterlace on, and have it on Weave, tried other methods, all seem to work fine. I haven't seen any difference in quality to be honest. No frame drops or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Out of curiosity what Codecs did you have to add, did you have to add the REG change for "Sage TV Demux" I'm considering buying one but want to know how much extra work I'm in for. I had my Sage Server as a client for a while but found so many things that didn't work correctly without stutter or other issues that I moved completely to extenders.
I'm not that knowledgeable with codecs, I actually downloaded one of the codec packs and loaded every codec under the sun, I uninstalled them after getting my wrist slapped in another thread and downloaded the LAV codecs. Everything seems fine. No real tweaking necessary.

2xhd300
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I haven't had time to test the theory that removing ffdshow will get rid of the ff/rew problems but it is on my "to do" list.
I'm quite interested in solving this issue as well.

2xhd300
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Do the blu-ray subtitles work that way? I thought the client version of sage does not support blu ray subtitles.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

Very cool! I have been thinking about this for a while. Right now I'm fine, having a working HD300 and HD200 at my 2 locations in the house. I also have two HD-100's in reserve and one dead HD-100 sitting on the shelf.

It is good to know that a NUC will work as an extender. I do have a valid extender license so that wouldn't be an issue. I "might" even have two extender licenses, I don't recall for sure.

Last edited by waynedunham; 03-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Intel gingle

Out of curiosity, I've just bought the next model (D54250WYKH) which supports a standard 2.5" HDD/SDD and whilst opening the box a small audio device inside the box started to play the Intel's gingle which made my jump as it was totally unexpected .

Does the previous model do the same? I understand that probably Intel wanted to make a kind of statement, but I would rather prefer to pay the device a bit less and loose that surprisingly annoying useless device

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Sage Expert

I have the i5 version and love it. I have Sage on it (works fine), but don't use it. I still have a working HD300 and use that for TV (Sage on NUC can't to native refresh rate). But I use XBMC on the NUC for movies, music, and Apple Airplay. The integrated graphics on the i5 version (HD5000 I think) are excellent and provide very accurate refresh rates, which is great 24fps movies.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do those of you using the i5 newer version see the issue that others were reporting with the pause while skipping?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Out of curiosity, I've just bought the next model (D54250WYKH) which supports a standard 2.5" HDD/SDD and whilst opening the box a small audio device inside the box started to play the Intel's gingle which made my jump as it was totally unexpected .

Does the previous model do the same? I understand that probably Intel wanted to make a kind of statement, but I would rather prefer to pay the device a bit less and loose that surprisingly annoying useless device

Eddy
The have done this since the first version of the NUC. Heck it would be nice to replace the cost of that noise maker with say a power cord.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Are you able to use a Media Center remote for everything or do you also need a wireless keyboard?
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Sage Expert

I'm not seeing any pause/skipping with the Microsoft decoders on i5 version. Also, I have my Harmony remote set to emulate a media center remote and it works fine. The only problem I've had is the inability to get Phoenix to display fanart from my server in Phoenix 2. But I think that has to do with using Windows 8 or something (but don't really care now since I am still using the HD300 for TV).