SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Sage Expert

Great point about the bandwidth -- I hadn't considered that part of it. But 4 HD shows at once is probably not necessary for a 'fledgling' sort of service... I think a lot of people would go for it even if it were restricted to 2 shows at once, and then they'd use live tuners to watch other stuff. And bandwidth is getting cheaper all the time... I think I'm getting 15Mbps now for $20. But you're right that his could raise complications with the idea.

Interesting note about the Canadian bill... I'm not a lawyer, but I have a hard time seeing something like that passing in the US, since recording television shows is a long-standing fair use.

I imagine it would also depend on the wording google uses when doing their agreements. If I *BUY* a dvd, it's mine, forever. If google provides me a service to stream it on demand, that's a lot different than a vcr.

Last edited by Dargason; 02-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree on your last point and that is the issue with a lot of online services as their content can expire. When I have something on my Sage server I know that it is around for as long as I want it whereas Google, Netflix, etc can discontinue shows at their whim.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the US gets this time limitation on recorded TV shows. The pressue to include clauses like this cam from the US media companies in the first place. Fair use is allowed but it is less clear over how long you are allowed to keep the content - is it forever?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Sage Icon

Just to clarify something, it's not usually at Netflix's whim (who is the "middleman") but at the whim of the content owner. It's to Netflix's benefit to make as much content available for as long as possible...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if the US gets this time limitation on recorded TV shows. The pressue to include clauses like this cam from the US media companies in the first place. Fair use is allowed but it is less clear over how long you are allowed to keep the content - is it forever?
Well, the other thing to think about is that this system would be to the benefit of the content owner as well, since they could insert new adds into shows you've already got 'recorded'. This is a lot less of a problem for them than people storing shows on their own media.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/22...rvice-for.html

Hmmm...set toP boxes via Motorola, high speed bandwidth and tv service provided by google--throw on sage

Sure its speculation -- but it could be interesting

What do you think?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I had the same thought, though it would be quite unfortunate if Sage only ever sees the light of day again in the form of a STB for a Google service.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Brings to mind this discussion from 3.5 months ago http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...1&postcount=41

An evil plot hatched by Brent!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Sage Icon

It's gonna be a looooong time before that kind of speed is available to Kansas City much less the rest of the country. There has to be an 'in the meantime' strategy because google fiber ain't gonna make it to my neighborhood or yours before the possible end of the guide data and forums this year.

I like to interpret the statements about the continuation of services as estimates for when a replacement product is ready to be announced. At least to the end of the year means in my wishful world that we'll have all our questions answered next year. Maybe CES 2013?

If so then this fabled cloud based Sage / Google TV system isn't what Jeff & Co. are working on. At least not in the short or medium term.

OTOH, if and when an awesome gigabit fiber connection with the skyDVR becomes available in my neighborhood I'll be standing near the beginning of the line

S
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

One other issue - here in Canada we are about to get our own version of the DMCA. One of the provisions of this bill is that it forbids permanent archiving of TV Shows. Here is the exact quote from the bill:

Presumably everyone will ignore this law with their own DVRs but a company like Google would have to follow the law on this issue.
I will be ignoring that with my middle finger pointed towards Ottawa.

2xhd300
Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
December 21, 2012 - end of the world

Gerry
LoL, thats True, the day after 12/21/12 I will decide which DVR route I will stay with or move to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm sure glad he threw us a bone. But I can't help agree that as you say, something else must be in play.

If they work on sage everyday and sage is not dead, then I don't understand why the store is still closed. Many people have already left because they cannot get hardware and/or client licenses.
Because of the buy out.. there is a period of all legal stuff.. is sage is still to live it will be SagTV by Google. and they we want a Whole new interface and a new fresh look, but hopefully same backbones and compatibility with our old devices.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
I will be ignoring that with my middle finger pointed towards Ottawa.
Left, or Right hand? May I recommend using both?

Seriously, though, ignoring C-11 isn't the right way to go, sign the petition at openmedia.ca. Send a letter to your MP/MPP. It shouldn't be necessary, but this is the way our democracy has to work. Big Business has financial motivation to lobby our political leaders. If we're silent, then they win. Okay, sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
OK....one piece of new information. EPG service will continue until at least the end of 2012.
Thank you hoss!

P
Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Thanks, Jeff - and thanks for (what I assume to be) your efforts to get your new bosses to let you tell us things like this.

Any chance you could talk someone into allowing you to give us a window of time when we can expect to hear something from you? Even if it's "second half of 2012" or "we're hoping for first quarter 2013" or whatever?
I want to second this. Can you at least give us a timeframe for when you'll be able to give us the next update on the timeframe?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
Not trying to be negative Nancy but in a week and a half it will be a year since the announcement. Any news is good news at this point.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
Not trying to be negative Nancy but in a week and a half it will be a year since the announcement. Any news is good news at this point.
This is not directed at you specifically, but it brings up a point that astounded me (to the point that I just didn't bother trying to argue it last year after the buyout, since so few didn't want to hear it)...

Corporate America doesn't play by rules of "politeness, fairness, and courtesy". Even the most consumer-friendly mega-goliath corporations (if such a thing exists) can't please everyone's requests and tell everyone about everything they are planning in the future. Telling us what they are going to do with Sage would/might be akin to handing their competitors their corporate playbook. In that respect, Google isn't working on any particular time clock or with any consideration of time constraints towards Sage users. They are doing their own thing on their own time and any bone that they throw us is just that - a bonus for which we should be thankful. The post by Jeff was very out-of-the-blue, and frankly, I am surprised he was even able to say that much. Are we helpless with respect to finding out the future direction of Sage? Yep. Does that suck? Yep. But there's absolutely no point in complaining about it (short of "getting it off your chest") if you think your complaint matters one iota to a company the size of Google. We're like an ant standing outside of a medieval castle wall, yelling that the castle is blocking his sunlight and he wants the king to rectify the situation. Maybe there's a worker inside the castle who feels for the plight of the ant, but all he can do is tell his supervisor, and the odds that the supervisor will report his complaint to someone who can report to someone who can report to the king are pretty slim - not to mention the odds that the king would care if he heard.

Long story, short: I don't expect that any amount of begging by all of us here has any bearing whatsoever on when and what we are told by any particular Google employee. And unlike many here, I actually believe that Jeff and the gang want to tell us stuff, and would tell us if they were allowed. Heck, Jeff's post virtually said exactly that. But all we can do is wait.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Sage Expert

Nailed it pjpjpj.

It is what it is. It will be whatever Google wants it to be. And there is nothing any of us can do to change it.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Sage Expert

A year isn't very long for the Frey folks to be integrated into a big mother company and then roll out a revolutionary new product.

The fact that we haven't heard an announcement of something lame is probably news that it is, in fact, something pretty cool.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
A year isn't very long for the Frey folks to be integrated into a big mother company and then roll out a revolutionary new product.

The fact that we haven't heard an announcement of something lame is probably news that it is, in fact, something pretty cool.
Yeah, right... and after 10 years it'll be even better!

A year is a long time for a product to tread water in a fast moving current. At this point I think you can stick a fork in SageTV.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Yeah, right... and after 10 years it'll be even better!

A year is a long time for a product to tread water in a fast moving current. At this point I think you can stick a fork in SageTV.
What fast moving current are you talking about, because in this particular market, it's more like a stagnant murky swamp. What new developments are passing on that sage is being left behind by?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What new developments are passing on that sage is being left behind by?
Yes, I, too, would like to know. If there are alternatives to Sage, I need to be "brought up-to-date."