SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

SageTV's Scheduling

It drives me nuts sometimes. One of SageTV's weirdnesses reared its head last night for my family. We love Project Runway. Our teenager loves Bones. In precedence Project Runway is ranked higher than Bones. So you'd think that Project Runway would always be recorded instead of Bones. But apparently not if Bones (a re-run BTW) doesn't have another airing date but the higher ranked Project Runway (first run) show does. So instead of recording Project Runway at the appointed time it decided to record Bones due to the fact that PR has airing dates that are further out. As a result it scheduled it to record next Thursday instead of the original airing last night or the airing on Saturday night which conflicts with yet another lower ranked favorite. I've done nothing in conflicts to tell it to prefer one over the other. It just decided this all on it's own. Grrrr!

I think I've fixed it by specifying a time slot in the favorite. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage Expert

I understand the frustration, but in that scenario Sage did exactly what it should do IMO. It made sure it created a schedule that allowed all shows to be recorded.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I realize other people might not feel the way I do but I want new airings to record the night their initially aired regardless of whether there are future airings. I've ranked my shows the way they are specifically because some are less important than others. The less important shows I record just in case I might fancy watching one some evening. I don't want them to EVER override the more important favorites. In other words I believe that favorite ranking should override everything else.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I hear what you're saying, but say you had two favorites that were very very important, say Project Runway is your number #1 and Bones #2, if Sage worked that way and you describe and a new episode of Project Runway conflicts with a new episode of Bones, and PR is shown later and Bones isn't you'd completely miss that new airing of Bones, and I suspect you'd be screaming that Bones didn't get recorded, how could Sage skip it.

Like I said, I see what you're saying, but in the current architecture of Sage's Favorite definition, there's no other way.

What's needed for what you want is probably first you'd need two favorites, one for Bones first runs, and a second for Bones reruns, and then a flag for the second (reruns) saying don't allow overriding of first showings or something.

Sounds like a feature request to me.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I actually already have two separate entries for Bones. One for first runs and one for re-runs. I did that to limit re-runs of Bones to keep only 10 episodes because otherwise it would just record like crazy and fill up on the re-runs since it airs so often and has been going for so many seasons. I've done the same with House. It keeps the storage use to a sane level since those shows get played a lot. Maybe one day when I have the money to install a few TB for recording I won't worry about it. But till then I have to compromise.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Sage Icon

Manual recording will over-ride the favorite...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Some of us wish there was an option to reverse that. My favorites are marked 'Favorites' for a reason, and I almost never want a Manual Recording to override them.

I suppose the best answer (if you can afford them) is to make sure you have sufficient tuners to avoid all conflicts, so that first showings are never bumped.