SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 PM

New product are coming

HDHomeRun SCRIBE DUO which act as DVR server and has 1TB of internal space and add bonus HDHomeRun SERVIO to add another 2TB storage drive.
Tablo also new product where can add internal hard drive with upcoming new 4 tuner model.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 AM
Sage Expert

https://www.cordcutters.com/hdhomeru...uner-built-dvr
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Too bad these sorts of products don't use SageTV as their recording engine as that would help our little community survive longer.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Too bad these sorts of products don't use SageTV as their recording engine as that would help our little community survive longer.
As much as I've loved SageTV I believe that's a good thing. Having different choices is a good thing. SageTV is not as accessible to people who aren't at least moderately computer literate.

On the technical side SageTV is really rather resource heavy. To squeeze this into a device like the HDHR Scribe DUO would likely not be feasible. When I compare the size, complexity, and resource requirements of SageTV to a comparable product, Plex, there's a world of difference.

Lastly, Java is on the out. As a programming language it's been mainly relegated to enterprise who invested heavily in Java when it was "hot". The write once run anywhere ideology didn't really pan out in the end. The JRE itself has come under fire more recently for being a security risk, especially on the desktop. As a developer there's no way I would start a new project in Java. JavaScript (don't let the name fool you) is actually the largest growing language right now. The modern internet is built on JavaScript.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
As much as I've loved SageTV I believe that's a good thing. Having different choices is a good thing. SageTV is not as accessible to people who aren't at least moderately computer literate.

On the technical side SageTV is really rather resource heavy. To squeeze this into a device like the HDHR Scribe DUO would likely not be feasible. When I compare the size, complexity, and resource requirements of SageTV to a comparable product, Plex, there's a world of difference.
That not true Taddeusz

Quote:
Lastly, Java is on the out. As a programming language it's been mainly relegated to enterprise who invested heavily in Java when it was "hot". The write once run anywhere ideology didn't really pan out in the end. The JRE itself has come under fire more recently for being a security risk, especially on the desktop. As a developer there's no way I would start a new project in Java. JavaScript (don't let the name fool you) is actually the largest growing language right now. The modern internet is built on JavaScript.
The last bit is no diff then anything else out the

Last edited by SHS; 01-10-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That not true Taddeusz
Which part?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Which part?
I update my post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That not true Taddeusz

The last bit is no diff then anything else out the
About Java? Possibly, but that's progress. I've been running SageTV for roughly 15 years. It was an exciting product for me at the time. It's an old complex code base that likely needs a lot of optimization. Not sure if it's the plugins I use or the SageTV base itself but I feel like there are memory leaks that cause it to eat up ever more memory as time passes and it never seems to give any memory back.

And it just looks visibly stale and unappealing to me now. Even with different themes the basic UI elements and even the fonts that are used just look dated to me.

I'm sorry, I'm sure this isn't where you meant to take this topic. I'll stop now.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
About Java? Possibly, but that's progress. I've been running SageTV for roughly 15 years. It was an exciting product for me at the time. It's an old complex code base that likely needs a lot of optimization. Not sure if it's the plugins I use or the SageTV base itself but I feel like there are memory leaks that cause it to eat up ever more memory as time passes and it never seems to give any memory back.

And it just looks visibly stale and unappealing to me now. Even with different themes the basic UI elements and even the fonts that are used just look dated to me.

I'm sorry, I'm sure this isn't where you meant to take this topic. I'll stop now.
Depend on the OS
Agree it dose seem to be unappealing
LoL

Last edited by SHS; 01-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
It may surprise you to know but 8 years ago there all ready hardware that did just that and ready been build in porotype stage dual tuner with 2.5 internal hard drive but need less to say some months later Jeff sold SageTV to Google, To bad Google didn't take it to the next level oh boy I beat they kick them self in rear now , I always wonder if Jeff hadn't sold SageTV where would it have been by now.