SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

getting video into the recorded videos menus

Hi all

I'm sure this is in a faq somewhere, but the proper search terms are eluding me at the moment.

I want to be able to take videos not recorded by sage and get them to show up in the sagetv recordings menu, preferably in the same folder as properly sage-recorded video.

for instance:
If sage records show abcd every day, but one day the power goes out and then i legally obtain a copy of that airing of abcd, I'd like to be able to have the legally obtained copy of abcd show up in the sage tv recordings instead of in the imported video menu.

I recognize that there would be no show description, etc.
So i see two issues with this:
1) getting the show into the sagetv recordings menu
2) getting sage to recognize that this show belongs in a group with others.
2b) possibly manually putting in show descriptions
2c) possibly even attributing the proper airing ID to the show so sage doesn't bother to record a subsequent airing.

if possible, please point me to a faq or some such.

to preempt anyone who might ask why i want to do this - it would seriously increase WAF for me. (well, GAF...) The concept of where the videos came from is unimportant compared to what the videos are of, and it is my belief that grouping content over source is a better idea.

thanks
1x HDHR (dual tuner) <- Verizon wire
3x HD200 wired latest beta fw
Gig-E wired network
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I feel your pain. Sunday night I forgot to pad the Amazing Race to allow for those pesky basketball games.....

You'll need to have Nielm's webserver installed.
If you go to the EPG listings for the show you missed it will give you the airing ID. It's the last line. In this example it is: Internal details: AiringID=4827657

Now you will need to change the filename of your legally obtained copy to include this number and match the format of another recording of the same series like this: TheAmazingRace16-RunLikeScaldedDogs-4693776-0.mpg

Now name your recording TheAmazingRace16-CathyDrone-4827657-0.avi

It should show up in your recordings now. I haven't done this in a while. Last night I simply imported the "Cathy Drone" episode as a movie and we watched it from there.

Hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong. I couldn't find the original post that told me how to do this either.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Seriously?

I was under the impression that wiz.bin held all kinds of magical metadata and such.

I'll try your method now. It would ordinarily be my first idea, but i was under the impression that sage had tighter control over what got displayed in the sage recordings menu....
Gig-E wired network
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, okay, not working for me.
with the one change of my requirements: the show i "added" isn't a show i had ever recorded before, isn't on my favorites list, and is a .avi instead of a .ts like what comes off of my HD-PVR.

So perhaps i should ask a slightly different question: How do i get random media into the sage shows category, irrespective of its association with other sage shows?

thanks
Gig-E wired network
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am certain that this is not the most elegant way to accomplish this but I have had limited time to dig into BMT, Webserver etc, but it work for me:

First, inserting recordings that still have data
in the EPG:

I am aware of the recommendation to include the airing id as part of the name. My issue with that is that if I look at a regular SageTv recording, the airing ID is not part of the name, for example:

Files:
\\HPSERVER1\Recorded TV\StargateAtlantis-TheRealWorld-56343-0.mpg

Internal details: MediaFileID=207754 , AiringID=107490

Could well be that they match in some cases but I have only found a handful. If I want to get the recording into Sage and make it look as official as possible:

I search the EPG for a showing of the show occurring "anytime". I open another tab to display the info for the imported video and then I go into show edit and edit the "edit airing information" accordingly. One, I have not found a spot to just enter the airing ID and have the webserver work the magic of changing the file name and auto filling the required information under the "edit airing information", maybe there is a way and I have just not found it yet.

Under the first heading of "edit show information" I edit as necessary mostly the name of the series and episode name as needed. If this is an episode as opposed to a movie then you need to check the auto generate new EP box (In the past I have also made up one starting with EP - consequences unknown buyer beware). You need the EPIGD changed because you will notice that your current one starts with MF and it will continue to appear as an imported show until you pay attention to this advice from the edit show section "(EPGID for TV files must start with 'EP' 'SH' 'SP' or 'MV')"

If you are a stickler for getting things to look tidy then before you move the file to the imported directories, do a rescan and get it to appear under imported to be able to do the above you can use an utility such as TVrenamer to change the file name to SHow.SxxExx.Title and at least I have a frame of reference before i start the edits. I know that TV rename is more powerful than Tvrenamer but the latter works for what I want.

One sticky point for me is that of being able to properly insert the Season and Episode information into the wiz.bin so that if I select sorting by season and episode then I get the tidy SxE sorting. I am not entirely sure why Sage or BMT does not do this when you first import the file as the SxxExx info is part of the file name, but whatever the case I have not been able to find anywhere in Webserver where to input that info. The only way I found is to go into BMT web application and change the info there,

Perhaps there is a way to automate some or all of this or to simplify the process but for the time being I am just processing the odd file here and there and it does not bother me.

Second, inserting shows that have no data in the EPG

Same as above with the exception of the searching the EPG and editing the airing information.

On both cases if what you are inserting into the database is a movie and not a series then the EPGID must start with MV as I believe that the others are for series and using MV will allow the file to be excluded from any sorting that excludes movies.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did you do a library refresh?

It should work if you name the file to the Series name - episode name - epg number - 0 like in the example. I know that I have gotten this to work before

I think you're right. Maybe I have only used this simple trick to replace bad recordings (that I had scheduled, but for some reason missed) where the info would already be in the wiz.bin.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wasn't aware that i'd have to do a library rescan for media in the sage folder.
I thought library rescans were only for media in other folders.
I'll give that a shot tonight.
Gig-E wired network