SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Sage User

sagedct and ffdshow mode

Hi -- long time SageTV user but I've also had great luck with longevity. My "production" Sage server has been rock solid with one HD-PVR tuner, tuning an ancient Comcast stb via an optical-IR-cable interface, and component cables (between the stb and HD-PVR). WHSv1 was pretty darn good in it's day. I didn't touch the server, and it didn't let me down.

Now I am updating to a new rig. I have SageTV 7.1.9 running on Win7-64 Pro, with a HD-Homerun Prime (running 20140623beta1 firmware) sending to sagedct 2.7.0.2. It is quite gratifying to have it working. Let's just say I didn't have it flying on the first trial.

First, you have to get the cablecard activated and paired to your Prime. I had to speak to Comcast by phone. Prior to that call I got like 60 channels. After the call, like 262 channels. You gotta do it. If you can't see all the channels in the HDHomeRun QuickTV tool, you shouldn't move on.

This might help someone else. I read a zillion posts. Thanks to all of you for skiing on this snow before I got here. This post was most valuable >> http://www.missingremote.com/guide/s...guration-guide. Through reading every word, and looking at the screen shots, I realized I had been editing the wrong Sage properties file! There are two files with remarkably similar names. Oh, how many trials I did that had no prayer of working? LOL. It's all worth it now. Sage is a rocket sled now (with the better cpu) and I've already done some simultaneous recordings. Neato.

Perhaps someone can give me some advice. What I've read on this is spread out over a few years of postings. In sadedct, I have PBDA disabled, and I'm using DUMP mode. I've noticed I cannot tune HistoryHD and History2 through SageTV, but these channels work fine through the QuickTV tool. Should I install ffdshow and AC3filter (or both), and switch sagedct to use ffdshow mode? Might this allow all the channels to work?

I know it's sort of an "it depends" answer. In my limited testing, almost all the channels work. If I can get a few more, then I can retire the HD-PVR, and almost all my stb's. I was lucky enough to buy HD200's along the way.

Thanks very much guys. tom

Last edited by radioman; 08-24-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

FFDSHOW in SAGEDCT was never completed and does not work. The only option is the donator version using FFMPEG... in SADEDCT.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Sage User

thanks nyplayer

Thanks nyplayer. I hadn't caught that earlier. I'm already using the donor version of sagedct. So if I set sagedct for ffmpeg, and then load the ffdshow codec on the sage server side, is that worth the effort? I've read mixed reviews. Some people swear by DUMP mode. I suppose if we didn't enjoy trying these sorts of tweaks, we wouldn't be on this forum. Thanks nyplayer.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Thanks nyplayer. I hadn't caught that earlier. I'm already using the donor version of sagedct. So if I set sagedct for ffmpeg, and then load the ffdshow codec on the sage server side, is that worth the effort? I've read mixed reviews. Some people swear by DUMP mode. I suppose if we didn't enjoy trying these sorts of tweaks, we wouldn't be on this forum. Thanks nyplayer.
Yes I like you had channels I could not tune FFMPEG option fixed that.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Sage User

Thanks nyplayer

Thanks nyplayer. I'll give that a try. tom
Old 08-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Sage User

it's all working -- thanks!

Thanks a ton for the advice. Everything worked just as you said.
For anyone reading this thread later, I already had SageTV working with sagedct in dump mode. From here, I shut the SageTV service, and loaded the latest ffdshow_64. I used this as a guide >> http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/arc...g-ffdshow.aspx. This quick guide is several years old, and all the issues have been resolved. I took all the default settings and there was no issue with needing to promote the authority on anything. Then I ran ConfigureSageDCT and on the Capture Tab, changed the Capture Method to Ffmpeg. Save and reboot server. It's all good now. ALL the channels work, and even my HD200's are fine. This is great! I wish I had done this earlier. Thanks again nyplayer!

Tags
ffdshow, prime, sagedct