SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Sage User

My recordings are stopping before the show is over

When I recorded quintuplets (fox 830pm wed.)
Joey (NBC 8pm thurs.) and 8 simple rules (8pm friday)
they all have the endings cut off by I assume about 1 minute
The files were all 30 minutes.
And these were favorites.
Will i just have to change all my shows padding for 1 minutes extra?
But then wont it give an error if another show is record next and then I would have to set those to start 1 minute later?

I do not remember this happening before and it fustrated me tonight because while watching these shows today i missed all the endings

Do other people have this problem?
I have using directv through svideo with a serial port cable to change channels.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Check the time on your pc. I was having a problem like yours and the time on my pc was off. It was off even with using the time sync setting in SageTV and the Microsoft time sync.

-- Scott J.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Administrator

There are also other utilities to make sure the PC's time is synced with atomic time. But, even if the PC closk is perfect, you can still run into the problem where the broadcaster's time is different from yours -- pretty much the only solution is to add padding in that case. There is a property setting to remove padding on back-to-back favorites on the same channel (p 159 of the manual), but otherise yes: you will get conflicts if a padded show runs into another show. That is one advantage of having multiple tuners.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I always pad all my shows. If you don't, you will sometimes miss the beginning or end of a show. I know, because my watch is set to exact time. Simpsons will sometimes start a minute and a half early. I always just assume people who don't pad shows don't care about missing a little bit that much. I think most people don't care about missing a little of a show.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same problem, and i think it is the television networks. I dont care about missing the beginning of a show as much as the end, as that is where they wrap up the plot. It would be nice to have a global offset to shift the clock. Or global padding instead of setting up a padding for every show/favorite. Yes, I have two tuners.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

NBC plays games intentionally (boo, hiss). Other than that, I occaisionally have a 30 second problem with Sunday night HBO shows. Note enough for me to worry about padding.

Quote:
global padding instead of setting up a padding for every show/favorite
Yes, that would be nice.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Sage User

comedy central is off too

Just to add to the list that "Comedy Central" channel sometimes runs a minute or so early..
Back at the end of the summer i was recording South Park Episodes. and quite a few were already into the beginning and i ws losing the ends
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

I added a free atomic clock program in windows works great but some channels like SCIFI are always alittle off.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

A simple solution would be a property to pad X minutes on all shows with a second option to "override default padding on conflict". Padding set on a per-show basis should still take priority. This would solve all of my problems. Example:

Global padding: 1 minute
Override default padding on conflict: yes

10:00pm - Show 1: records 09:59pm to 10:31pm
11:00pm - Show 2: records 10:59pm to 11:30pm <- No padding due to conflict
11:30pm - Show 3: records 11:30pm to 12:31am

Exception: if Show 2 had a favorite option setting of +1 minute, the conflict with Show 3 would have to be resolved manually. This allows for shows that you absolutely do not want to miss the ending of and usually run late.

I'd rather not buy a second tuner to solve an issue that could be solved almost entirely in software with some simple logic. In addition to the cost, I would rather hold off untill some newer encoders are released (preferrably a better PVR-350).

BTW, I have experienced missing the last minute of virtually all of my recordings over the past couple weeks as well. It's been a lot worse lately even though my time is accurate.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
what is the exact setting that I need to change to add this extra minute of recording to my shows? I know I need to change something in my property file but what exactly is the line that I do need to modify?

Thanks so much.

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysek
what is the exact setting that I need to change to add this extra minute of recording to my shows? I know I need to change something in my property file but what exactly is the line that I do need to modify?
There is no such global padding option currently. You can add padding to a Manual Recording or your Favorite settings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.