SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Analog & Digital Channel seperated

How can I separate both analog & digital out for the same station. That way, I am in control of what records and what I watch? Maybe it's not possible? The documentation is abit confusing on this point. See Chapter 5 of the manual.

I am trying to setup the analog & the digital channel setup on different logical mappings.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Define analog and digital, what types of stations OTA, Cable? All my OTA stations are listed separately from their SD counterparts over dish because the broadcast versions have a different callsign (xxxxDT, or xxxxHD, etc)

If they've got the same callsign, there's no way to separate them. And what are you trying to accomplish by having "control of what records and what I watch"?

(Not trying to be difficult, BTW )
Old 10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

You would have to map the channels to completely different stations. Otherwise, duplicate stations are merged in the guide, as I pointed out to you previously.

I'll use WCBS as an example: WCBS on analog is the same station as WCBS on a digital feed. They are both SD versions of WCBS, it is just that one of them is coming over your digital cable feed. WCBSDT is the HD feed, regardless of whether I tune it OTA or via QAM. WCBS and WCBSDT would be listed separately in the Guide, with each being listed once regardless of how many tuners each channel is available on. If WCBS had a different listing from Zap2it for a different provider, then that one would be listed separately too.

To get WCBS from an analog feed listed separately from a digital feed's WCBS, the physical channel would have to mapped to something that is not WCBS... in which case, there is a good chance the listings won't be correct, so I suggest you don't do that.

If you would prefer that one tuner be used before the other, then try changing the merit properties in sage.properties. If you don't want a channel to ever record from a tuner, disable the channel on that tuner. Otherwise, SageTV chooses a tuner for a recording based on how it best fits into the schedule.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Opus:

Quote:
To get WCBS from an analog feed listed separately from a digital feed's WCBS, the physical channel would have to mapped to something that is not WCBS... in which case, there is a good chance the listings won't be correct, so I suggest you don't do that.
As I stated yesterday, this is exactly what I wanted to accomplish. The analog channel call station id, say WFAA, is same name as on the digital side tuner - causing the software to merge the stations, even though they are 2 distinct broadcast types. But I think that since this on the analog side where there is only 1 call station that's why its not working to my likings. The digital side has multiple names for a single station via its broadcast, SD vs HD. I will attack the problem from that end. I have manually changed the name of the HD digital to its analog name to get the guide to work properly. I think I can reverse all this and come around problem from the other end.
The merit system no workey for me, again YMMV.

Stanger:

Its regular analog (VSB) & clear QAM 256. No OTA (ATSC). I have the coax cable split, one leg to the analog side of the tuner, the other to the ATSC/QAM side of the tuner.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan View Post
Stanger:

Its regular analog (VSB) & clear QAM 256. No OTA (ATSC). I have the coax cable split, one leg to the analog side of the tuner, the other to the ATSC/QAM side of the tuner.
OK, so the question is, what are you trying to cause to happen, or prevent from happening by having the analog and digital versions listed separately?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok, this problem is solved!

i had the digital SD & HD setup. I went and enabled yje analog side channel. changed logical address. Then mapped another station to the analog channel: the sd version of the digital channel. So guide works for both channels. I just have the HD and analog enabled in the guide under seperate channels; e.g. wfaa 8 for HD & wfaadt 108 for analog.

I know this is complex, but I have to do this to enable recording of 2 stations simultaneously on my single HVR1600. This started because I wanted to record junk TV of the local stations, but did I only had the HD ver of the channel. This is a waste of HD space. I record a few shows every day and the resolution can be of SD quality to save space. So as a work around, I hadded the SD digital broadcast version to the guide. Well, since both SD & HD are using the digital tuner, I could only record a single program at any one time. SO using above, remapped analog to show up in guide also. Now, daytime tv can be recorded in plain old analog PQ & hd size. Primetime is made for HD. However, if another station has show running oppsoite each other, e.g. Office vs CSI, now I can record one in HD, the other SD. One dude thought adding simply another tuner was better idea. heh. lame. Why buy something unnecessarily. The software is the key. This post is done.

Now, if only we could get Sage to not lose the clear QAM signal. I think if signal drops below a certain level, Sage drops it out so you can not view it once signal returns to a higher power. But go into Video Source setup and View channel, and it comes right back! That's just strange. I have'nt proven it yet, but I 've seen 2 other posters with same troubles on clear QAM. Maybe bug, maybe feature of the software. D'no.

Oh well, Sage, please keep up the good work in the software dev side. It's still a great piece of software!

-Cab
Old 10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I know this is complex, but I have to do this to enable recording of 2 stations simultaneously on my single HVR1600.
The HVR1600 can't record 2 channels simultaneously, you need a 2250 to do that.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Weird, because I have both the Office and CSI on the pc right now! Both run at the same time 8PM CST on NBC & CBS respectively.

The 2250 is PCI express 1x while the 1600 is PCI. The 1600 has both an analog & digital tuner.

cest la vie..
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Weird, because I have both the Office and CSI on the pc right now! Both run at the same time 8PM CST on NBC & CBS respectively.
Sure Sage didn't do something creative like record an alternate airing of one?

Quote:
The 2250 is PCI express 1x while the 1600 is PCI.
Yes, but the 2250 is a dual tuner, while the 1600 is not.

Quote:
The 1600 has both an analog & digital tuner.
True, but I (was) about 99% sure you couldn't use both at the same time.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

heh. Yeah. I'm sure. It also grabbed the SNL show after Office while CSI was recording.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yes, but the 2250 is a dual tuner, while the 1600 is not.
The 2250 has 2 analog tuners and 2 digital tuners, but it can only record 2 shows at once.

The 1600 is a dual tuner where both tuners can be used independently, not a hybrid where the tuner can do analog or digital, but not both at the same time. So, it can record 2 shows at once.

That also means that I don't understand why this channel game had to be played because while one of the channels was listed once in the guide, it was available on both tuners & SageTV could schedule whichever tuner could use that channel. The SD channel could be on both the analog & digital while the HD was only on the digital tuner. Both wfaa and wfaadt should have already been in the guide and one of them should have been on both tuners. Now, if previously you only had wfaa or wfaadt, but not both, then it sounds like the mapping might have been done incorrectly to start with at some point. As long as you are happy with your solution, then everything's fine.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.