SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Recommended/Required Minimum HD size for VM

I realize this may seem like a strange question, but is there a minimum required / needed / recommended HD space requirement for Sage TV?

I run sage in a virtual host. While I provide a ton of space for storage of video, I am trying to minimize the size of the main host, as it is mostly wasted/unused space. I've been running sage pretty happily in an 8GB vm (1.8GB free!) but I get errors from sage telling me that it is low on disk space. I am pretty solidly streaming HD video (right now) but get occasional drops that appear to be tied to the low space message appearing on screen.

"There was a Capture Error in playback: Details:
SageTV cannot free anymore diskspace to continue recording.
Please delete some of your recorded files."

However, I believe this is related to the built-in low disk space check, rather than actually running out of drive space. I modified the Sage.properties "seeker/video_storage" line to only require 500MB (I think) on /var/media/tv.

Is there a real hard limit? Is it driven by something I can put on a different drive?

I also have been experimenting with both PrimeNetEncoder and OpenDCT. I am still looking for the temp buffer for these, but have not found them yet.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you actually recording to the VM? Or is /var/media/tv passed through external storage?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Personally I would just delete all the /var/??? entries from the property files - excluding the linux default ones. That's what I am trying now before I switch from my Windows VM to my Linux VM for more than just testing. The UI won't let you delete them from within SageTV so I just stopped it and deleted the property entry for them directly and then restarted.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Are you actually recording to the VM? Or is /var/media/tv passed through external storage?
It all passes through to the VM. First I tried to just add an additional record path as the external drive. Then I removed and linked the remote drive as the internal (linux ln -s). Then I went into the Sage.properties and reduced the minimum size.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Personally I would just delete all the /var/??? entries from the property files - excluding the linux default ones. That's what I am trying now before I switch from my Windows VM to my Linux VM for more than just testing. The UI won't let you delete them from within SageTV so I just stopped it and deleted the property entry for them directly and then restarted.
If this works... I would totally do this. My question was really aimed at the experts to know if anyone was aware of good reasons not to do this, or if anyone knew what was actually getting check (before I reduced to zero). I like the completely remove idea... how has that been doing?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWizdom View Post
If this works... I would totally do this. My question was really aimed at the experts to know if anyone was aware of good reasons not to do this, or if anyone knew what was actually getting check (before I reduced to zero). I like the completely remove idea... how has that been doing?
It appears to work but I haven't actually switched to recording on my Linux server VM yet. Did a few tests last weekend and it appeared to work. The unRAID host is doing a parity check that should be done in an hour then I will switch for a longer test - permanent switch.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok, figured out my problem. At some point I rebooted and had not auto mounted my drive, so I was actually running out of space. Once I figured that out, it was a quick fix.

For you linux folks, I forgot (now fixed) to put the new disk in my fstab, so upon reboot, it was not getting auto mounted.

I am still very interested to see if removing the extra drives from the config works, so please keep updating.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ok, figured out my problem. At some point I rebooted and had not auto mounted my drive, so I was actually running out of space. Once I figured that out, it was a quick fix.

For you linux folks, I forgot (now fixed) to put the new disk in my fstab, so upon reboot, it was not getting auto mounted.

I am still very interested to see if removing the extra drives from the config works, so please keep updating.
Had problems recording from my Win7 Network encoder. I could scan for channels but all I got was errors with no file produced when recording an airing. I have made changes to my Windows VM and removed the acs_override which looks like it was affecting the tuners. I will test this again next weekend - maybe sooner if I get time.

But in the next 360 hours I have 350 shows set to record (1328.1GB space required). So I don't have much down time except in the middle of the night. And with the extremely slow boot times (on the order of 3 hours) with the old wiz.bin I have to wait for a good 6 hours of no recordings. Or at least I did. I deleted the Wiz.bin and started from scratch and re-entered all 190 favorites. I did drop about 20-30 favorites from the old Wiz.bin by starting from scratch. It now boots in minutes and my Wiz.bin is 60MB instead of 150MB in size. It also no longer sits at 750-1038MB of java heap any more. Down to 450-600MB now. So I'm not as motivated to switch to 64bit Linux install as I use to be.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Had problems recording from my Win7 Network encoder. I could scan for channels but all I got was errors with no file produced when recording an airing. I have made changes to my Windows VM and removed the acs_override which looks like it was affecting the tuners. I will test this again next weekend - maybe sooner if I get time.

But in the next 360 hours I have 350 shows set to record (1328.1GB space required). So I don't have much down time except in the middle of the night. And with the extremely slow boot times (on the order of 3 hours) with the old wiz.bin I have to wait for a good 6 hours of no recordings. Or at least I did. I deleted the Wiz.bin and started from scratch and re-entered all 190 favorites. I did drop about 20-30 favorites from the old Wiz.bin by starting from scratch. It now boots in minutes and my Wiz.bin is 60MB instead of 150MB in size. It also no longer sits at 750-1038MB of java heap any more. Down to 450-600MB now. So I'm not as motivated to switch to 64bit Linux install as I use to be.
Wow, that is an amazing difference
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wow, that is an amazing difference
Yeh. Not sure what was causing it. I started over twice with my v7 wiz.bin and both times after it was done converting to v9 it would start acting up. It didn't have that much problem before I switched but I was getting a lot of spinning circles on v7 that I hoped would go away by upgrading to v9. Got some improvement but the long boot up and high heap usage came with it. It also would never shutdown correctly in the Service Control app when I would stop the SageTV service. Now it is working better. I'm still going to try a linux VM this weekend and see if I can get network encoding to work.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 AM
SageTVaholic

There was a bug with the early versions of V9 and unicode characters that would cause corruption in the wiz.bin, maybe that's what you were running into.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
There was a bug with the early versions of V9 and unicode characters that would cause corruption in the wiz.bin, maybe that's what you were running into.
Could be not sure which version I started with for sure. I thought it was 194 but it might have been earlier.