SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Sage User

Question HD Quality is HORRIBLE! - Help!!

We have had U-Verse HD service for about a year now, on our Panasonic 50" Plasma it looks fantastic. I hooked up the HD PVR tonight, nd am using the latest Sage TV 6.6.x, and live TV video playback is HORRIBLE!

I have tried Basic/Medium/Standard/Advanced playback modes...they all look bad. I have tried the Overlay video renderer, the VMR9 video renderer....I have enabled and disabled the interlacer, tried the "Double Refresh Rate" option, and it STILL looks terrible. Lots of macroblocking, even on slow motion scenes, and you can see the interlaced images on slightly faster camera pans.

If I plug my STB back into my TV directly it looks FABULOUS! The quality is amazing - but through SageTV+Hauppauge HD PVR it is horrible!

We are running this on Windows XP SP3 (with all the latest updates), Intel Core2Duo 2.8ghz, 4mb cache, 4GB RAM DDR2 800mhz, 1.5TB Seagate SATA 3.0gb/s HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512mb video Card, HDMI out to 50" Plasma TV....

ALL our other inputs look great - direct from STB source, Blu-Ray player source, etc, but SageTV REALLY makes video look blocky, delayed, and the motion/panning quality is the worst.

Help!?? Are there any options I can change to fix this??
Source: ATT U-Verse HD
Output: Panasonic 50" Plasma / LAN

Last edited by crobs808; 03-04-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Try setup/detailed setup/Multimedia/Recording Quality
Set it to the highest...I think from memory, thats 5.9GB/hr.
Also make sure Native mode is disabled..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
Try setup/detailed setup/Multimedia/Recording Quality
Set it to the highest...I think from memory, thats 5.9GB/hr.
Also make sure Native mode is disabled..
I already have the Recording Quality set to Best. What is "Native" mode?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Right above it. It basically tells Sage to use 480i if the channel is 480i, etc.

Something is not right, because I cant tell the difference between my SageTV output from the HDPVR and a direct HDMI input from my DVR.

You are hooked up to the HDPVR with component cables right?
The SageTv output resolution is set to 1080i or p?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Right above it. It basically tells Sage to use 480i if the channel is 480i, etc.

Something is not right, because I cant tell the difference between my SageTV output from the HDPVR and a direct HDMI input from my DVR.

You are hooked up to the HDPVR with component cables right?
The SageTv output resolution is set to 1080i or p?
I am going Component out of my Uverse DVR to the HD PVR, yes.

There is no setting for 1080i in SageTV. You just select "Component" when you setup your video source...I have been through the detailed setting backwards and forwards 10 times over now and never seen 480i/p pr 1080i anywhere as a choice/option. I am using 6.6, the newest trial from their site (downloaded it an hour ago), are you sure this is a setting in there? The word "Native" is not in any of my SageTV menus or settings

Last edited by crobs808; 03-04-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Setup/Detailed Setup/Multimedia/Output Resolution.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Setup/Detailed Setup/Multimedia/Output Resolution.
Nope, not there. here is a screenshot...(See below)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Im sorry, thats only an option on the extender. Apparently the codec its using is not doing a good job on H.264 video (from the HDPVR). Im not a codec expert, so I dont want to tell you to switch codecs, because it could make it not work at all. Gonna have to wait for someone with more codec configuration knowlege than I have.

Edit: If you have arcsoft installed, you could try changing the H.264 codec to the arcsoft one, just remember what it was set to originally in case the change doesnt work.

Last edited by davenlr; 03-04-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Im sorry, thats only an option on the extender. Apparently the codec its using is not doing a good job on H.264 video (from the HDPVR). Im not a codec expert, so I dont want to tell you to switch codecs, because it could make it not work at all. Gonna have to wait for someone with more codec configuration knowlege than I have.
OK, but I am not talking about playing back recordings...I am just talking about the viewing of LiveTV which uses the "Video Renderer"

- Overlay
- VMR9

those are my only three options and THAT is what is used for Video Rendering....how can I add more to that list? Again this is for LIVE tv, not recordings.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I believe (not 100% sure) that live tv is actually showing you the recording while its recording...if it was actually a live through feed, pause and play wouldnt work.

EDIT: Im running Win7, so Im using the microsoft codec and renderer on my server, and dont have it installed on an XP machine or I would just tell you what my settings were. I use the media extenders to actually watch it, never the computer, although I remember when I was using the computer, I was using Arcsofts codecs, and default for most everything else.

Last edited by davenlr; 03-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I believe (not 100% sure) that live tv is actually showing you the recording while its recording...if it was actually a live through feed, pause and play wouldnt work.

EDIT: Im running Win7, so Im using the microsoft codec and renderer on my server, and dont have it installed on an XP machine or I would just tell you what my settings were. I use the media extenders to actually watch it, never the computer, although I remember when I was using the computer, I was using Arcsofts codecs, and default for most everything else.
Ok, where do I get the "Arcsoft" codecs? Also, can I download and use the Windows 7 Microsoft codecs on XP?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Arcsoft codecs are installed when you install Total Media Extreme from the HDPVR install disc. Shut down Sage, install that, then restart Sage. You should be able to pick the Arcsoft codec from the Video/Audio menu.

I have no idea if the win7 ones will work on XP.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Arcsoft codecs are installed when you install Total Media Extreme from the HDPVR install disc. Shut down Sage, install that, then restart Sage. You should be able to pick the Arcsoft codec from the Video/Audio menu.

dont have that disc anymore...bummer. I guess I am stuck with interlaced/blocky HD video....looks like it is time to get a mac mini to run EyeTV....I used to have that and it was AMAZING...guess I gotta save up more money now

Dang

Last edited by crobs808; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:

So, I found a copy of Total MEdia Extreme, got it installed, let it auto update, Rebooted, Ran SageTV, and Selected the EVR playback option and I hear audio but I get no picture - screen is just black.

...Great...now what?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 AM
SageTVaholic

EVR doens't work in most cases in winxp. It is a feature of Vista and Win7. There are a number of great H.264 codecs available, unfortunately, they are almost all pay for products. The Arcsoft ones that came with your HD-PVR are plenty good enough, but if you've lost the disc, i don't know what to tell you. I think cyberlink sells their codecs in a 'codec pack'. not sure about the other companies.

EDIT: What options do you have to choose from for the H.264 Video Decoder Filter in Detailed Setup -> Video / Audio? You may very well already have an acceptable H.264 decoder installed, it just isn't selected.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-05-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Through much pain, (and I'm still having some SageTV crash problems), I've found my best set up is:

Video Renderer -Overlay
Video Dedcoder - Arcsoft
H.264 Codec - Arcsoft
Audio Decoder - Nvidia Purevideo Platinum (bought this one)

Also, I also have nvidia 9500GT video board and found some of my problems went away when I upgraded to latest video drivers. I'm really wanting to change to an ATI 5000 series video board, as I've read good stuff about them elsewhere but EDID problems running HDMI through AV receiver to LCD seem to be their weakness.

And for codecs, my Xonar Audio board came with Total Media Theater which came with ArcSoft codec, but I read somewhere to google "HD Pack". I did that originally and that helped narrow down my experimentation.

Like I said, I'm not out of the woods yet but my video and audio for the most part is looking pretty good except for studder problems on the hour and half hour and when I change channels (only when I switch to SageMC STV). Did find that EVR is impossible and VMR9 gives me occasional jerky video.

Also, I've got my Sage "Recording Quality" set to "good". Since I changed from "great" to "good" my occasional HD PVR lockups have since gone away (knock on wood). I tried "fair" setting but noticed pixelating during fast video scenes such as explosion fireballs, etc.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Sage User

Well, I thought I would try installing WinTV 7, and see if the picture quality was the same in another viewing program, so I could rule out SageTV being the issue or not, and it must have installed some bad drivers, because not my HD-PVR will not work. It just has an exclamation next to it in Windows Device Manager, and even if I go to it manually, and select "Update Driver" and browse to the HD-PVR driver that I downloaded from Hauppauge's site, it still says "This device cannot start", and same thing after a reboot too.

I think I might upgrade to Windows 7, but we are currently have WHS installed and love that it automatically backs up our computers at night...is there a program I can put on Windows 7 that will do that, without the need for our intervention on a daily basis, because that is what we need before we will switch.

Thanks
-C
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure WHS will backup a Win7 computer just as it can backup XP.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

NovaStor will also do unattended scheduled backups. If you are trying to run Win7, follow the win7 Sagetv faqs. Install win7, then install any other drivers you need, then install the beta hdpvr driver and total media extreme, but not the other hdpvr software, then sage, then update sage several times until it says there are no more updates, then install the sage patch following the patch instructions. I just did it in that order a couple days ago, and it worked fine. Took a week of reading to find all the right drivers and instructions, and the correct order, but it was worth it.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm pretty sure WHS will backup a Win7 computer just as it can backup XP.
I think you misread my post...I was talking about replacing WHS with Windows 7...so I basically need something to replace the backups that the WHS was doing.

Anyway, it is irrelevant, because I just moved my HD-PVR to my second setop box upstairs...this way I can record whatever I want, and it will not affect everything we already have setup on the main DVR. Plus my upstairs computer has way more storage (3TB).

So...my upstairs computer is Vista 64, and everything is working fine now in terms of LiveTV...no more bad quality since EVR works, however there are audio glitches in the liveTV and in recordings...can someone tell me what options I should have set for each of the buttons on the right in this screenshot...decoders/audio renderers, etc...

p.s. - my computer is crazy fast...8 cores, 8gb ram, dual video card etc...so I know my computer is not too slow to handle any of this. thanks.

p.p.s - i have recording quality set to "best"

Last edited by crobs808; 03-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.