SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Sage User

Unhappy wiz.bin keeps getting corrupted

I've been searching and searching for the past few weeks but have yet been able to find someone with a similar problem.

My wiz.bin file keeps getting, what seems to be, corrupted. I recently build a new machine and installed everything fresh. Programmed a series of favorites (approx. 7) and presto, everything was fine. SageTV performed flawlessly for a few months. One day, my kids informed me that their recordings were not being recorded anymore. Indeed, when I looked into it, the recording schedule was empty although all the favorites were still there. After googling for a little while, I came to the conclusion that the wiz.bin file was probably corrupted. So, I shutdown Sage and deleted the wiz.bin file. Started SageTV and proceeded to re-program all my favorites. Things worked well for a few days and then, pouf! Same problem reared it's ugly head. No more scheduled recordings.

It's been doing this for the past month or so. Sometimes the schedule is fine for a week or so before getting "lost", other times it lasts only 24 or 48 hours. I've tried changing the drive on which the Wiz.bin file is located but that has not helped at all. I can't figure out what is causing the corruption (if indeed that is what is causing the problem).

Can anyone help? It's becoming quite a nuisance to have to regularly delete the wiz.bin file and re-program all the favorites.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

How often do you reboot?.... are you making sure that Sagetvservice is shutdown before rebooting? The only time I have ever had a corrupted wiz.bin file was during a power hit... and that was a long time ago.

Corruption of wiz.bin could occur if it is still writing and some one causes a reboot.

PS. I would shutdown sagetv and run a chkdsk /f on the drive.... just to make sure there is no corruption on the drive.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Sage User

I don't reboot often. In fact, I normally don't reboot at all unless there is a serious problem (i.e. application crash etc...). This is a dedicated HTPC machine.

As for power hits, PC is connected to a UPS/surge protector and it has not had to shutdown due to a power failure in quite some time (over 6 months).
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagis View Post
I don't reboot often. In fact, I normally don't reboot at all unless there is a serious problem (i.e. application crash etc...). This is a dedicated HTPC machine.

As for power hits, PC is connected to a UPS/surge protector and it has not had to shutdown due to a power failure in quite some time (over 6 months).
Run a full chkdsk /f on the drive.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage User

I'll give that a shot but I'll be surprised if that uncovers anything. The original problem started when the wiz.bin file was on an SSD drive. Thinking that there may be issues with the drive (although chkdsk on the SSD revealed nothing), I moved the location to one of my other two drives. When the problem repeated itself a few times more, I moved the location to my third drive (both 7200RPM HDD's).

Regardless, I'll run the chkdsk /f tonight.

Question. Could this be an EPG issue?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Are you using the PlayOn plug-in? That plug-in was doing that for some people.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Sage User

No. No PlayOn plugin.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
Are you using the PlayOn plug-in? That plug-in was doing that for some people.
There are some other plugins that also write things to wiz.bin... I would recommend disabling all plugins (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't believe there are any plugins that 'write things to the wiz.bin'. They all make database changes via the sagetv API, and if everything is correct, that should not result in a corruption of the wiz.bin file.

I have seen wiz.bin corruption from, as mentioned, computer crashes/non-clean shutdown, operating with a full HDD, and some bugs in older versions of Java and/or Sage. That said, I have not seen it at all for quite some time. I'm also wondering if indeed your wiz.bin is getting corrupted, or if there is another issue preventing the recordings.

What software version are you running, and what java version?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

A faulty TV tuner card has caused this for me before. My sage would crash and the Wiz.bin would be corrupted. Process of elimination led me to the faulty tuner card. Removing the card stopped the problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
A faulty TV tuner card has caused this for me before. My sage would crash and the Wiz.bin would be corrupted. Process of elimination led me to the faulty tuner card. Removing the card stopped the problem.
Why would a faulty tuner corrupt the wiz.bin? if anything it would corrupt the recordings ... the tuner does not write to the wiz.bin.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Why would a faulty tuner corrupt the wiz.bin? if anything it would corrupt the recordings ... the tuner does not write to the wiz.bin.
If sage was updating the wiz.bin at the same time the tuner card crashed SageTV I could see it happening.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
If sage was updating the wiz.bin at the same time the tuner card crashed SageTV I could see it happening.
Yeah I thought about that after .... but the original poster did not indicate that there were any server crashes.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Yeah I thought about that after .... but the original poster did not indicate that there were any server crashes.
True. Plus I could also see it being somewhat random. Sage might crash many times and NOT corrupt the wiz.bin.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I don't believe there are any plugins that 'write things to the wiz.bin'. They all make database changes via the sagetv API, and if everything is correct, that should not result in a corruption of the wiz.bin file.
True - wiz.bin is a closed format, so the only way for a plugin to modify it is through the API, but that API was added shortly before Sage got bought by Google, so there is a slim chance that something doesn't work right (or didn't have adequate protection to keep a plugin developer from doing something they shouldn't). It's very unlikely (there would probably be lots more people complaining about wiz.bin corruption). Still, when strange things happen, it's often a good troubleshooting step to disable any add-ons and see if Sage works correctly on its own.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagis View Post
I've been searching and searching for the past few weeks but have yet been able to find someone with a similar problem.

My wiz.bin file keeps getting, what seems to be, corrupted. I recently build a new machine and installed everything fresh. Programmed a series of favorites (approx. 7) and presto, everything was fine. SageTV performed flawlessly for a few months. One day, my kids informed me that their recordings were not being recorded anymore. Indeed, when I looked into it, the recording schedule was empty although all the favorites were still there. After googling for a little while, I came to the conclusion that the wiz.bin file was probably corrupted. So, I shutdown Sage and deleted the wiz.bin file. Started SageTV and proceeded to re-program all my favorites. Things worked well for a few days and then, pouf! Same problem reared it's ugly head. No more scheduled recordings.

It's been doing this for the past month or so. Sometimes the schedule is fine for a week or so before getting "lost", other times it lasts only 24 or 48 hours. I've tried changing the drive on which the Wiz.bin file is located but that has not helped at all. I can't figure out what is causing the corruption (if indeed that is what is causing the problem).

Can anyone help? It's becoming quite a nuisance to have to regularly delete the wiz.bin file and re-program all the favorites.

Thanks.
Having rebuilt a new machine lately, I also ran into this. I needed to re-validate my key/license and then everything was fine once again.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

I've had this problem twice in the last 2 weeks.

All works until windows update reboots the server. Its not been a problem in the past so I've never worried about it.

I do backups every day of the wiz.bin and wiz.bak files, as well as backups of the whole SageTV folder. I keep 10 copies of each.

I've just been through the every backup and tried every copy of wiz.bin and wiz.bak but they all get renamed to wiz.bin.corrupted0

I've had to go back to a wiz.bin from September.

The only thing that I've done recently is update the webserver, phoenix api's or BMT (cant remember which), and delete 20 or so favorites.

It's strange how Sage keeps working ok and creates the wiz.bak files every so often but I can't use them for a restore.

I'll uninstall and do a fresh re-install at the weekend. Will just add in the favorites I need to get my through until then.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I do backups every day of the wiz.bin and wiz.bak files, as well as backups of the whole SageTV folder. I keep 10 copies of each.
Not long enough I think!

After having problems with corrupt wiz.bin due to an error in the metadata being imported, Ive started keeping my daily backups forever since I had to go back to the wiz.bin from a SageTV upgrade and lost about 6 months of Watched & recorded TV info.

As far as I can tell SageTV doesnt actually check the wiz.bin is corrupt except during its startp process. If its running it will keep trying to add to the corrupt file, failing and simply carrying on with possibly a message in the log if debugging is turned on.

Ive got into the habbit checking the sizes of wiz.bak and wiz.bin. Generally it seems the wiz.bin should be smaller that the wiz.bak. Although SageTV adds to the wiz.bin for recordings etc so thats not always the case
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ive just had a problem similar to the op.
Sage was working but nothing was recording, the favourites were there but no recordings had been done for the past 2 days. I rebooted the server and sage wouldnt start. the wiz.bin had not said it was corrupted but when i deleted it sage would start. I only keep 5 days backup and sadly all 5 seem to be bad.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Sage User

Sorry it's been so long.

I uninstalled all plugins, deleted the wiz.bin and allowed Sage to create a new one one. Re-programmed my favorites and things were working well for a while (about a month). Suddenly, all scheduled recordings were gone (about two weeks ago). Favorites are still there, episodes that are scheduled to record appear in bold in the Guide (as if the schedule is still there), but the episodes do not record.

One strange behaviour that I have noticed is that if I actually watch an episode (LiveTv) that Sage was supposed to record (as per the original schedule), the recording file (LiveTv) will remain in my Recordings as if it was recorded automatically.

I'm going to try revalidating my SageTV key/license as suggested above and see if that helps.

Thanks

Tags
upcoming recordings, wiz.bin