SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
tp9163 tp9163 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to tp9163
Concerning timed recordings' filenames. Is there any way to do this?

This is more for organizing reasons than anything else.

Let's say I want to have a s-video timed recording of something at 5 PM. The filename would be something like:

"[#####'s]_1_0404_1700-0.mpg" (1700 is 5 PM in military time, obviously)

But since I want to make sure I record the beginning of the tv show, I normally would have to start the recording 2 mins or so earlier.. so it would actually look like this:

"[#####'s]_1_0404_1658-0.mpg" (1658 is 4:58 PM in military time, again obvious)

What I'm wondering is, if there is a way to pad a recording to start at 1658, for a show that begins at 1700, but still have the filename reflect 1700 instead of 1658?

This has really irked me. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
The real question is why are you doing timed recordings?
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
Not an exact answer to your post, but I created a plugin "Name Timed Recordings" that will allow you to name them whatever you like. It's in the UI Mod section of the plugin manager.
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
tp9163 tp9163 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to tp9163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Not an exact answer to your post, but I created a plugin "Name Timed Recordings" that will allow you to name them whatever you like. It's in the UI Mod section of the plugin manager.
I assume that is only for version 7? Is there a way to download and use that plugin without having to upgrade? (i hate how bulky v7 feels on top of the fact that i have a couple of other problems with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The real question is why are you doing timed recordings?
Would it make any sense if I said that one of the two PVRs in my PC is set up to record from a STB through s-video, and that I elected not to use program guide data for this device, and therefore all I see from the s-video channel (ch1) is 'no data', making it possible to ONLY use timed recordings? Or is there something else I'm missing?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
I'm more interested in WHY you choose not to use guide data...
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 PM
tp9163 tp9163 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to tp9163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm more interested in WHY you choose not to use guide data...
Well.. simply because it is important that I have perfect recordings for some of my shows.

Because when there are two things I want to record back to back on the same channel.. For example on channel 3-1, show 1 is from 4:00 to 4:30, show 2 is from 4:30 to 5:00. There will be a bit of data cut off when Sage TV tries to start a new file for the next recording. And that is what I want to prevent.

Is there another way to achieve this aside from using timed recordings?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
I assume that is only for version 7? Is there a way to download and use that plugin without having to upgrade? (i hate how bulky v7 feels on top of the fact that i have a couple of other problems with it).
No, Version 7 only. Sorry.
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
fidget's Avatar
fidget fidget is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
Well.. simply because it is important that I have perfect recordings for some of my shows.

Because when there are two things I want to record back to back on the same channel.. For example on channel 3-1, show 1 is from 4:00 to 4:30, show 2 is from 4:30 to 5:00. There will be a bit of data cut off when Sage TV tries to start a new file for the next recording. And that is what I want to prevent.

Is there another way to achieve this aside from using timed recordings?
I believe that you will get the behavior that you want by having SageTV NOT remove padding from back to back favorites.
__________________
Server: i5-2405S (4 core @ 2.5 GHz), 8GB RAM, NORCO RPC-4220 4U case
Tuners: 2 SiliconDust HDHomeRun , 2 Hauppauge HD-PVR Connected to 1 Pace700X and 1 TiVo Series 4
DVD Storage: 24 TB
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
Well.. simply because it is important that I have perfect recordings for some of my shows.

Because when there are two things I want to record back to back on the same channel.. For example on channel 3-1, show 1 is from 4:00 to 4:30, show 2 is from 4:30 to 5:00. There will be a bit of data cut off when Sage TV tries to start a new file for the next recording. And that is what I want to prevent.

Is there another way to achieve this aside from using timed recordings?
Yes, padding on the recordings will allow them to start recording a bit earlier, and/or end a bit later. By default, sage removes padding if back-to-back favorites are on the same channel (since it doesn't have to change channels), but this can be turned off in detailed setup -> advanced -> Remove Padding on Back to Back recordings on same channel == disabled.

You are trying to make sage much more complicated than it needs to be. Out of further curiosity, what problems did you have with v7 that are preventing you from upgrading? It really is a vast improvement over v6.
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
tp9163 tp9163 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to tp9163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
No, Version 7 only. Sorry.
Okay well I updated to 7.1 and installed the plugin but I don't see that new option anywhere that was shown in the screenshot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yes, padding on the recordings will allow them to start recording a bit earlier, and/or end a bit later. By default, sage removes padding if back-to-back favorites are on the same channel (since it doesn't have to change channels), but this can be turned off in detailed setup -> advanced -> Remove Padding on Back to Back recordings on same channel == disabled.

You are trying to make sage much more complicated than it needs to be. Out of further curiosity, what problems did you have with v7 that are preventing you from upgrading? It really is a vast improvement over v6.
The paddings is not exactly the problem. It's the fact that my PC isn't always exactly synced on time (or the tv station almost never starts a show on the :00-seconds mark.

So when I go to edit out the commercials, I would probably have to load both files at the same time to join them before I start editing because a small piece of the ending credits of show #1 may be contained at the beginning of the file for show #2, or the other possibility is the beginning title of show #2 would be contained on the end of the file of show #1.

I read the changelog of v7.0 and it says the transition of switching between shows is much improved from v6.x. Which is true, but, and maybe i'm being a little too picky, I believe there is still a split second of data that is lost in that transition. I'll test it more though.

In what ways do you claim that v7.x is much improved?

Some things that irk me, and if I may note that I use keyboard to navigate Sage TV.

1. I absolutely hate the new interface. When I press Enter on TV I would have liked it to start Live TV, and not go to my Recordings.

2. Memory usage has increased by over 100%.

3. The backgrounds are unnecessary. But there is a way to remove them, right?

4. When I go to the timed recordings menu, the cursor position is always at the very right because it remembers the last position now and I have to press left about 8 times to get it to the start. In previous version, it would always be on the left where it should be.

There's probably others but these are off the top of my head within 2 hrs of experience...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
Okay well I updated to 7.1 and installed the plugin but I don't see that new option anywhere that was shown in the screenshot??



The paddings is not exactly the problem. It's the fact that my PC isn't always exactly synced on time (or the tv station almost never starts a show on the :00-seconds mark.

So when I go to edit out the commercials, I would probably have to load both files at the same time to join them before I start editing because a small piece of the ending credits of show #1 may be contained at the beginning of the file for show #2, or the other possibility is the beginning title of show #2 would be contained on the end of the file of show #1.

I read the changelog of v7.0 and it says the transition of switching between shows is much improved from v6.x. Which is true, but, and maybe i'm being a little too picky, I believe there is still a split second of data that is lost in that transition. I'll test it more though.

In what ways do you claim that v7.x is much improved?

Some things that irk me, and if I may note that I use keyboard to navigate Sage TV.

1. I absolutely hate the new interface. When I press Enter on TV I would have liked it to start Live TV, and not go to my Recordings.

2. Memory usage has increased by over 100%.

3. The backgrounds are unnecessary. But there is a way to remove them, right?

4. When I go to the timed recordings menu, the cursor position is always at the very right because it remembers the last position now and I have to press left about 8 times to get it to the start. In previous version, it would always be on the left where it should be.

There's probably others but these are off the top of my head within 2 hrs of experience...
You can still use the previous interface (called SageTV3.xml) in v7.1.9, while still retaining most the new features (except UI plugins).
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
Okay well I updated to 7.1 and installed the plugin but I don't see that new option anywhere that was shown in the screenshot?
Are you sure the plugin installed properly? When you create the timed record you should see the option (at the end) to give it a name. If you do not see it:
- Uninstall it.
- Turn on debug logging (reboot as needed)
- Reinstall
- Send the logfile for me to look at.
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
RocKKer RocKKer is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 194
Would "Always tune channel" to yes" help for this? (Detailed Setup/Customize/Always Tune channel).

I turned this to yes and I think it was the magic setting that gave me separate and complete recordings of back to back favorites on the same channel (I pad each favorite 3 minutes on each end as well). I believe this setting forces SageTV to use a different tuner for back to back favorites, which could be a problem if you don't have enough tuners.

If your server doesn't have correct time you may want to enable Sync System Clock with SageTV Server.
__________________
SageTV Server v9.2.2, Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 x64, Java 1.8.0_252, Xeon E5-2690, 32GB, 6X6TB WD Red - Software Raid 6, 2X HDHR3 (OTA), 3X HD-200
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
No, that's not the setting. The one that does it is Remove Padding on Back to Back favorites. (It should be disabled).
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
tp9163 tp9163 is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to tp9163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Are you sure the plugin installed properly? When you create the timed record you should see the option (at the end) to give it a name. If you do not see it:
- Uninstall it.
- Turn on debug logging (reboot as needed)
- Reinstall
- Send the logfile for me to look at.
Thanks. The first time I installed the plugin that was under "general", this time I installed the one under "UI mod" as directed in that thread of yours.

Not sure how that would matter, but it is working fine now.

On a related now, how do I make it so when I press the number 4 key, it actually types the number 4, and not toggle through characters like it was a cell phone or something?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
graywolf's Avatar
graywolf graywolf is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,316
i forget exactly, but think the pause key cycles thru the various input methods....Uppercase, Lowercase, Numeric, back to beginning
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
RocKKer RocKKer is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
No, that's not the setting. The one that does it is Remove Padding on Back to Back favorites. (It should be disabled).
Windows version may work different than the Linux version for this (?). I just tested again and I only get padding on both ends on same channel BTB favorites with Always tune channel to yes and I get no padding when set to no. (Remove Padding set to no both tests).

OP, seems your root problem is the padding issues on your same channel BTB favorites, hope the remove padding set to "no" fixes it!
__________________
SageTV Server v9.2.2, Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 x64, Java 1.8.0_252, Xeon E5-2690, 32GB, 6X6TB WD Red - Software Raid 6, 2X HDHR3 (OTA), 3X HD-200
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp9163 View Post
Thanks. The first time I installed the plugin that was under "general", this time I installed the one under "UI mod" as directed in that thread of yours.

Not sure how that would matter, but it is working fine now.

On a related now, how do I make it so when I press the number 4 key, it actually types the number 4, and not toggle through characters like it was a cell phone or something?
The plugin under "General" is a dependency for the plugin under "UI Mod" so if you install the General plugin and not the UI Mod it will not work.
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timed recordings BKeadle SageMC Custom Interface 1 06-01-2010 05:23 PM
Deleting Timed Recordings moedes SageTV Software 0 02-27-2007 11:46 PM
Timed Recordings don't always record WuphonsReach SageTV Software 0 12-19-2005 11:54 AM
Timed recordings rmans SageTV Recorder Software 3 09-14-2004 11:25 PM
timed recordings msm SageTV Software 2 08-21-2003 08:06 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.