SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-06-2022, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Tuner Priority

I have a few different tuner variations on my Sage system:
1) Cablecard via OpenDCT directly for copy-freely (local TV only)
2) HDPVR2
3) Network encoders

#1 is the most desired tuner (tuner merit 9), and is enabled for only copy-freely stations. #2 is the next most desired tuner at this time anyway (tuner merit 8). #3 is set as tuner merit 0. I may switch this around in the future, but this is the setup for now.

#1 uses my primary TV lineup, Charter Spectrum for my area, copy-freely channels only.
#2 uses a lineup that is a copy of tuners #1's lineup, custom configured to record on all available channels.
#3 uses a lineup that is a copy of tuners #1's lineup, custom configured to record on all available channels.

It appears that when the system requests a recording of a local channel (copy-freely) available to Tuner #1, that it may record on any tuner even if no other recording is active at that time. Best I can tell, if I made a custom configured copy of the original lineup of Tuner #1, that any copy of the lineup will be throw into the overall tuner mix?

I would really like to force local news and such (copy-freely) to record on tuner #1, but I'm not sure how to force this properly. Any suggestions, and/or a better understanding of tuner merit would be welcome.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

You'll have to disable those channels in the lineup for Tuners 2 & 3.

That's what I do with my STB's. I disabled the local channels on their lineup, and only have them enabled on my Opendct Prime tuners, or OTA for the channels I can pick up clearly.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:04 PM
SageTVaholic

That's the way I had it set up originally. #1, #2, and #3 tuner types each have (2) tuners each fed from a Ceton Pcie 6-tuner cable card device. With that setup I was occasionally running out of tuners for my local channels on #1, so it made sense to let #2 and #3 also tune locals, but only in a pinch. I just assumed that a copy of the #1 lineup to be custom configured would do the trick, but apparently they need a completely independent lineup.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

The tuner priority isn't making any sense. I switched the order around to play a bit, then restarted SageTV to make sure the new priorities take.

(I do realize the higher the merit number, the higher the supposed priority)

New Priority list, higher importance to lower importance:
1) Cablecard via OpenDCT directly for copy-freely (local TV only)
2) Network encoders
3) HDPVR2

Because the cablecard and network encoders are both controlled by OpenDCT, I thought Sage might see OpenDCT as (1) device, so priority would be equal across those tuners. I tuned a few local channels simultaneously, but before using up all the #1 and #2 tuners, Sage chose the #3 tuner.

I must be missing something.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think that Sage will use a lower merit tuner if it is a higher quality broadcast of the same program (ie. HD vs SD broadcast).

It will also consider future recording schedule and what tuner will be required to record to meet the schedule at the highest quality.

I believe that merit is the last thing considered when all other factors are equal.