SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-06-2021, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help! Directory listings take FOREVER now

This is a new problem, following decades of solid performance. I'm running V9, with about a 6 month's old server image. On some, but not all, clients, pulling up a list of recorded shows or videos can take 10-20 minutes. On other clients it is instantaneous. My 2 Windows clients work great, but the Windows server UI takes forever. My Android mini-client (just installed) takes forever too.

Any ideas? Thanks, this is driving me crazy!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Sage Icon

My first guess would be a failing hard drive on the server. You may want to check the Windows error logs for clues.

You could also check the Sage logs for errors.

PS - when you say the Windows Clients are OK, I assume you really do mean Sage Client software (and not Sage Placeshifter).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. Yes, when I say Windows Clients are OK, I mean Sage Clients on Windows computers. That's what makes this confusing; the behavior is different depending on which way the server is accessed. I would expect that a bad hard drive would present the same response time to all clients. I will check the SMART stats on the disk drives, but have not received an alert re failure counts.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

Sounds like a Java memory issue to me as the miniclients and server are having issues. Check on one of them for the memory in use via the info page. What size is the heap set to?

It's possible something recently increased the size of your wiz.bin. Check it for file size also.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:55 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV can be severely impacted by a faulty network port. I've had this happen twice where the UI was unusable and it turned out to be a faulty port on my router. (basically, this would show up as LOTS of dropped packets).

The other time I saw something take minutes to show up in the UI was when my drives on my server were set to spin down, and then after watching a show and try to access the UI it would take 1-2 minutes before the UI was responsive again. (I ended up setting my drives to never spin down).
Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for all the good ideas! I have either the best or the worst outcome: the problem went away. Good news is the WAF was not destroyed. Bad news is that if the problem returns I still don't know what caused it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! This great community still amazes me.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:51 PM
Sage Icon

You should still check on the Java memory usage and max in settings and make sure your wiz.bin hasn't exploded in size.

To reiterate, the common thing between the server and miniclients (but not full clients) is the use of memory on the server.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Will do. i have checked the server to ensure that the java heap is maxed out (32 bit image because DCT) and have seen several out of memory errors about 2 months ago. The problem has popped up off and on the past few days, which seems to be primarily to test my patience ;-).

I need to research DCT operation under 64 bit Sage. When I put it in, only 32 bit was supported.

Thanks for your message!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Which version of OpenDCT did you install or are you using? I use 64 bit version of both the OpenDCT as well as 64 bit SageTV just fine. The only hiccup I have experienced was with versions of java installed & utilized. I had adjusted heap size as well.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
Which version of OpenDCT did you install or are you using? I use 64 bit version of both the OpenDCT as well as 64 bit SageTV just fine. The only hiccup I have experienced was with versions of java installed & utilized. I had adjusted heap size as well.
I will wait for a window without recordings (tougher than it sounds) and check out the version of OpenDCT. I would love to migrate to 64 bit!
Old 12-29-2021, 12:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
Encouraged by your helpful comment, I upgraded Sage and OpenDCT today and it works! Thanks for the nudge. Only remaining/outstanding issue is that the SageTV Web Interface plugin still thinks that it is running on a 32bit server and does not work.

Thanks for the encouragement!