SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
pjpjpjpj pjpjpjpj is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,068
I don't argue that it's not a "geek" product. Anyone who would start the process of looking for a PC-based software (and/or hardware) system to perform as a DVR/PVR would have "a little geek in 'em".

But it also doesn't HAVE to require inordinate climbing on the house, cutting/patching of drywall, purchasing of materials, work and re-work on things such as creating your own custom-length network cables (i.e., you can buy pre-made), etc. It CAN... but it doesn't HAVE TO. As I mentioned, I had a LOT of the stuff required laying around my house, including the server PC. In fact, that was a big reason why I chose SageTV in the first place.

As to your point of "why does my PC have to be on?", I doubt that anyone that clueless would ever get to the point of having SageTV installed on a PC in their house. I'd think if you were savvy enough to go online, find the product, see what it does, and purchase it, then you would have at least read enough about it to know the general concept of what it requires. I'm probably wrong (I see in the news every day how I underestimate the stupidity of the general public), but I like to kid myself anyway.
__________________
Server: AMD Athlon II x4 635 2.9GHz, 8 Gb RAM, Win 8.1 x64, Java 8, Gigabit network
Drives: Several TB of internal SATA and external USB drives, no NAS or RAID or such...
Software: SageTV v9, stock STV with ADM.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
bebopblues bebopblues is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1
SageTV will never be like Tivo, very unlikely, mainly because it does so much more than Tivo. And because it is so comprehensive in features, that also makes it much more complicated to set up.

I don't see how they can make the product easier to setup unless they sell the server hardware itself. It will be preconfigured to work out the box like Tivo. You just need to plug the TV cable in and run a setup onscreen to configure your WIFI and EPG, then fire up the extenders with WIFI and enjoy.

As for SageTV's future, I'm guessing they are doing well. I don't think they will grow into a giant fortune 500 company, but probably do well enough to stay in business for a long time.

This user forum is one of SageTV's strongest point, it doesn't matter if you are new or experienced, just ask if you don't understand something, and the users here are ready to help explain to you in plain english.

Last edited by bebopblues; 11-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Fuzzy's Avatar
Fuzzy Fuzzy is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA
Posts: 9,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopblues View Post
SageTV will never be like Tivo, very unlikely, mainly because it does so much more than Tivo. And because it is so comprehensive in features, that also makes it much more complicated to set up.

I don't see how they can make the product easier to setup unless they sell the server hardware itself. It will be preconfigured to work out the box like Tivo. You just need to plug the TV cable in and run a setup onscreen to configure your WIFI and EPG, then fire up the extenders with WIFI and enjoy.

As for SageTV's future, I'm guessing they are doing well. I don't think they will grow into a giant fortune 500 company, but probably do well enough to stay in business for a long time.
This is the key reason they had proposed the 'server on a stick' architecture. As a way to provide relatively turn-key capabilities to 3rd party hardware vendors. That concept, it seams, has been abandoned (or at leastn ot mentioned in an official context in almost a year).
__________________
Buy Fuzzy a beer! (Fuzzy likes beer)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
PGPfan's Avatar
PGPfan PGPfan is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oldtown, Idaho USA
Posts: 862
As usual Fuzzy, you are right about the 'server on a stick' idea. It IS a sound idea, but the implementation would be troublesome at this point in my opinion. I'd imagine just a hand full of us forum regulars would adopt it - making it an even smaller subset of the Sage/Linux group - and so the forum would be of little help with issues. And as you know the Linux version is officially an OEM product, so no support is available there.

Makes sense to me as to why it's seemingly been abandoned - it really doesn't have a logical place in their roadmap, imho.

-PGPfan
__________________
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 AM
JetreL's Avatar
JetreL JetreL is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 388
Am I the only one that thinks the "Server on a Stick" is an absolutely horribly idea? Depending on sales from the support aspect Sage would have to add many more Georges and become much more snappier about there responses.

I don' think they have the marketing budgets, the supply chain, or the operating budgets to handle a growth of that type. Not to mention the product would have to be so watered down that it would loose or at least alienate their current customer base. We (or I) like SageTV because of the functionality and versatility.

When you start dealing the the general population, the product needs to work, be simple and at a price point that is cheap. They have missed the boat with DVRs being the buzz word so they cannot demand a premium for their product so they would have to make up for that by sheer numbers and subscription fees. Who here really wants that. Heck we even debate an incremental upgrade fee.
__________________
Google?? Facebook?? MySpace??
-=[If you don't pay for the product, chances are you are the product]=-
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:10 AM
mickp's Avatar
mickp mickp is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
This is the key reason they had proposed the 'server on a stick' architecture. As a way to provide relatively turn-key capabilities to 3rd party hardware vendors. That concept, it seams, has been abandoned (or at leastn ot mentioned in an official context in almost a year).
Aye. I wrote an empassioned (probably drunken iirc) post a while back on the possibilities for a turn-key system here.

I think it would be awesome if SAGE turned its attention to this next.


Mick.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 AM
reggie14 reggie14 is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,759
I still think configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting SageTV systems is far more complicated than the actual installation. I have a hard time imagining recommending a SageTV server-on-a-stick system to someone that I didn't think would be perfectly fine with a regular Sage install. OTA TV is fairly easy, but dealing with ever-changing QAM channels is no fun. Going through the setup procedure selecting which channels you get and don't get is no fun. Dealing with cable TV tech support during outages when your set top boxes are all hooked up to your SageTV server is no fun. In general, I think working with STBs can, on occasion, be a bit of a pain. Software updates seem to occasionally turn off my STBs, although that only seems to happen about once a year.

And, as I said in another thread, heaven forbid someone actually runs into a problem and needs tech support. I'm mostly happy with the combination of official email support and unofficial forum support, but I don't think you'd be able to market something like Sage to regular consumers without at least some form of telephone support.

In theory server-on-a-stick is a fine idea. While I probably wouldn't use it, I imagine some techies would find it useful for various reasons. But, I just think there are more important things to do. Namely, in spite of the updated UI in v7, I still think it needs a lot of work, particularly on the music and imported video side. I'd rather see Sage try to work with an HCI expert to develop a new interface. Apparently they originally tried that with v7, and it didn't go so well, so they ended up doing the UI updates themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,805
The Linux version of Sage is specifically called "Linux OEM" because it can be used by entreprenenrial companies to create "pre packaged" Sage devices.
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Spectrum Spectrum is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The Linux version of Sage is specifically called "Linux OEM" because it can be used by entreprenenrial companies to create "pre packaged" Sage devices.
Exactly! If you want to see a "Server on a Stick" YOU make it, package it, market it, sell it, and support it. That last one is where it breaks down for me. Sage has provided you with all the tools you need, including Studio to stamp your own info into the UI. There's a business oportunity here for anyone with the money and wherewithall to try it
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
panteragstk's Avatar
panteragstk panteragstk is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 3,311
To me sage is like home automation software, except htpc front ends are fewer (I think) than the amount of HA products out there. The reason I think of sage like HA is the simple fact that it is a small group that would actually want the functionality of HA or sagetv. Granted when we show our systems to relatives they think it is neat, but would you want to set up a sage system for your parents? No because you become their support. To get a similar product that has pre-built systems and phone support you would have to get a kaleidescape system that has less functionality and costs way more, but it would be easy to maintain because it is a closed system. Start integrating that system into tv and music and everything else and you have an entire HA system on your hands that costs multiple thousands of dollars. No thanks.

I'll keep sage the way it is.
__________________
SageTV Server: unRAID Docker v9, S2600CPJ, Norco 24 hot swap bay case, 2x Xeon 2670, 64 GB DDR3, 3x Colossus for DirecTV, HDHR for OTA
Living room: nVidia Shield TV, Sage Mini Client, 65" Panasonic VT60
Bedroom: Xiomi Mi Box, Sage Mini Client, 42" Panasonic PZ800u
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 PM
nick_l's Avatar
nick_l nick_l is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pgh, PA
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
This is the key reason they had proposed the 'server on a stick' architecture. As a way to provide relatively turn-key capabilities to 3rd party hardware vendors. That concept, it seams, has been abandoned (or at leastn ot mentioned in an official context in almost a year).

Shhhh! Don't remind them.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
mitchedo mitchedo is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 59
While I am a geek, and I am learning to love my SageTV, Had Microsoft come out with their family Live Gold account last August instead of January this year, I most likely would have gone with Windoze Media Center. The only extender available for MCE is the Xbox, and without Live Gold, you can't watch Netflix. I couldn't see buying an Xbox and not being able to watch Netflix on it. All I would've needed for MCE was one XBox at $199 (already have 2), so the initial cash outlay would've been a couple of hundred bucks less than Sage.

Of course, there's the whole issue of having to deal with DRM with MCE, and the fact that I can't set MCE to record based on bandwidth, (or to multiple hard drives?) but those are geek concerns, not mainstream concerns. Granted, I never tried to watch TV over the XBox, so maybe that would've given me some sort of fit.

MCE just worked. I didn't have to do anything to make it work. I have spent nigh unto 6 months trying to get SageTV to work properly. I'm almost there.

SageTV is, and probably always was, a niche geek product. ...and I hope that niche will sustain them. The HD300 is TERRIFIC!!!! I just wish Netflix was integrated.

Last edited by mitchedo; 01-13-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
ayjax's Avatar
ayjax ayjax is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
I too tried BeyondTV and Myth before settling in to bed with SageTV. I origianly started with 6 and I too felt the OP's pain on configuring things to get it to work properly (was soo frustrated at times I almost gave up and just got a DVR). But the thing that kept me going was the user support here on the forums. So thanks to all of you! I also didn't want to be limited to the number of channels I could record at the same time. Now that I have upgraded to 7 it is quite an improvement over 6 especialy the mod engine (Although I wish there was a way to see what mods were newly added since the last time I checked the screen). The WAF factor is very hi with STV7 as well, so double thanks!

I cant see that non-geek people would even be interested in using a product like Sage as they would have to install tuner cards etc into their PC and to do things like that you have to at least a have a little geek in you I would think.

Anyway, just my 2 bits.
__________________
Server: SageTV v7.0.23.246, Java v1.6.0_23, BioStar TF8200, AMD Athalon X2 4800+, 4GB RAM, XP Pro 32-bit, TightVNC, Comskip, WebUI, BMT, My Movies, Phoenix
Tuners: 1x PVR150, 1x PVR500
Storage: 1.5Tb Onboard for recordings, Freenas ZFS RAID5 w/ 3x500Mb HHDs
Clients: None YET, Server connected to Sony Bravia 52" 1080p LCD, Comcast Cable , Harmony One Remote
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Brent94Z Brent94Z is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjax View Post
(Although I wish there was a way to see what mods were newly added since the last time I checked the screen).
Sort by Date Added.... puts the new ones at the top
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
ayjax's Avatar
ayjax ayjax is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
Sort by Date Added.... puts the new ones at the top
You da Man!
__________________
Server: SageTV v7.0.23.246, Java v1.6.0_23, BioStar TF8200, AMD Athalon X2 4800+, 4GB RAM, XP Pro 32-bit, TightVNC, Comskip, WebUI, BMT, My Movies, Phoenix
Tuners: 1x PVR150, 1x PVR500
Storage: 1.5Tb Onboard for recordings, Freenas ZFS RAID5 w/ 3x500Mb HHDs
Clients: None YET, Server connected to Sony Bravia 52" 1080p LCD, Comcast Cable , Harmony One Remote
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is anyone else concerned? Striker:WG SageTV Beta Test Software 54 11-11-2010 12:56 PM
Editing Sage's MPGs... Grey_Goose General Discussion 3 06-03-2004 03:56 AM
my real desire where studio is concerned? GbrNole SageTV Customizations 0 05-13-2004 12:45 PM
Firewire record in Sage's future? drbenson SageTV Beta Test Software 4 02-25-2004 12:48 PM
Error on Sage's website ben_gb General Discussion 1 07-12-2003 09:26 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.