SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage User

Is there an option/plugin or fix for.....

I am a longtime SageTV user and have some issues with the new version but before I downgrade maybe I can fix some of my complaints and keep V7 (which is supper fast and I love auto convert)

So:
Is there a theme, plugin or option to stop the menu hover/submenu popups? I find it impossible to consistently manipulate the mouse in the exact way that Sage seems to want and so I am consistently getting bounced from one menu to another unwanted one - for example if I am in a submenu of "TV" and I move the mouse 'wrong" next thing I know I am in a submenu of Music. I'd like to just have it so menus only open and close on clicks - can this be done?

Is there a plugin or option somewhere to customize the mouses right-click button - it seems intuitive to me that this button should do more (Id prefer it a s a "Back" button) can it be customized or adjusted?

Can I get file/folder lists to take up the whole width of screen (i.e. get rid of the secondary column that shows subfiles, info or other secondary data) - again I want this secondary info after a click not all the time crowding file names and folder names all on the left side- any option, plugin, theme??

See above for complaint about popups and hovers - can I shut this off on the browse photos? the constantly popping folders are very distracting (especially since there is no where you can 'rest' the mouse so that at least one folder is NOT popping at you. - any plugin option tweak for this

Any help on any all of these things would be most appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

You can stop the mouse problem by going to:

Setup > Detail Setup > Customize > Focus follows mouse movement

And setting it to no. After setting this you will need to click to get focus.

The right-click button will give you the Options menu and I don't know of any way to set it (Studio again). How would you get to Options with your mouse if you did set it to Back. Just use the < button at the top of the screen for the back function

I too would like to shutoff that info pane on file menus but haven't found anyway to do it other than using Studio. It doesn't leave much room for filenames.

Last edited by joematt; 11-17-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

So you aren't using SageTV with a TV or remote control?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Sage User

No I use a wireless mouse and a small wireless keyboard when necessary
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
You can stop the mouse problem by going to:

Setup > Detail Setup > Customize > Focus follows mouse movement

And setting it to no. After setting this you will need to click to get focus.
Ill try that - THANKS
Quote:
The right-click button will give you the Options menu and I don't know of any way to set it (Studio again). How would you get to Options with your mouse if you did set it to Back. Just use the < button at the top of the screen for the back function
That menu is in other spots (like the option menu on the bottom right so it should be forced onto the mouse) I do use the arrow - but it is smaller and less sensative than it used to be and frankly I always hated it - I would usually just hit the BIG SageTV logo up there and start from the main screen....but they got rid of the logo. Back is a HUGE command why just a tiny little picky arrow???
Quote:
I too would like to shutoff that info pane on file menus but haven't found anyway to do it other than using Studio. It doesn't leave much room for filenames.
I'll let you know if I find anything- another silly "improvement" I dont care much about the 'bonus' info, if I cant even see definitvely what file we are talking about....
Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

This is my personal opinion, but using a mouse to control a HTPC 10-foot interface is like using a straw to eat steak. Wrong tool that makes any UI "choke" (seem unfriendly.)

The UI is far from perfect, but it's a definite improvement for me.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Sage User

Sorry dont agree - as I said I've been at the HTPC thing for awhile (10yrs) and a mouse is the simplest most straight forward way to go. I actually find it refreshing that Google TV is now shipping utilizing the same basic controls I have been using for a decade.
If anything the complaints I have would only be exacerbated by the imprecision of pointing a remote control, Ever try to do anything media related on a Wii = nightmare.

But to each his own, I just dont see how the new UI is any better suited to a remote than a mouse.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
But to each his own, I just dont see how the new UI is any better suited to a remote than a mouse.
Because its designed and built to be used with a remote. Up/down/left/right/select, thats how the UI is meant to be used and thats what a remote is meant for, buttons!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by falltime View Post
If anything the complaints I have would only be exacerbated by the imprecision of pointing a remote control, Ever try to do anything media related on a Wii = nightmare.
Perhaps we've discovered the issue here. A Wii remote is NOT a remote control. Think Logitech Harmony, URC and other remote controls. They aren't pointing devices, they are input devices.

For example, I don't point my remote toward the "TV" menu item to go to TV recordings. I use the arrow buttons on the remote to do this.

Much more efficient regardless of the UI imo.

Last edited by Brent; 11-17-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Deleted a link to falltime's 2007 post that offended him
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I would usually just hit the BIG SageTV logo up there and start from the main screen....but they got rid of the logo.
Clicking the logo in the lower right corner seems to take you back to the Home screen.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Wow. Seriously? Have you used a remote control recently/ever? You really don't need to be that accurate with the direction that you point it. Certainly != Nightmare imho.

Quote:
Um, that you're posting to the forum asking for assistance with issues relating to controlling sage with a mouse might be seen as an indication?

I'd get myself a remote control, but each to his own.

Mick.