SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Recommendation for a Netflix Player?

I'm looking for a recommendation for some sort of Netflix player, like a Boxee Box, a Roku or a specific blu-ray player. I already know and use PlayOn, but I've never been satisfied with the video quality. It's tolerable on the small TV in my bedroom, but not the large TV in my living room.

My main reason for doing this is that my Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player has suddenly become a lot worse with Netflix. A few weeks ago Netflix changed how TV series appear in the instant queue. Now rather than splitting apart different seasons of the same series, they're all grouped together. That's problematic for two reasons. First, my player will not show more than 100 episodes of any single series, meaning I can't actually see all the episodes if there are more than 4 seasons of a show. And two, even if my player would show all the episodes, it would take me a long time to scroll through the episode list of a TV series to get to an episode in a later season. I've also been having a lot of problems with the reliability of Netflix streaming after a recent firmware update on my blu-ray player.

This is what I'm hooking for:
  1. Netflix HD video support, preferably with support for 5.1 sound on Netflix.
  2. Ability to browse and search Netflix catalog, not just play things back from the instant queue.
  3. No problems displaying multiple seasons of TV shows. Preferably I'd like an interface where first you select the TV show, then you select a season, then select an episode. I don't know if that exists on any devices.
  4. Preferably I'd like component video output (and HDMI), since I don't want to upgrade my receiver yet.
  5. Support for other streaming sites, particularly Hulu, would be great but not entirely necessary.

I guess my choices are between the Boxee Box, Roku, and one of several available blu-ray players. I don't really know how full-featured the Netflix interface on those players are, or how easy they are to use. I realize the Boxee Box and 2011-model blu-ray players won't have component video, though I can work around that limitation if need be.