SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
But you also have 24TB or way more
True. But, since jm9843 didn't mention wanting to compress his movies, I wanted to be clear that my numbers (and, I imagine, stanger's) are what you can expect for full quality Blu-ray rips.

I wasn't judging.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 01-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
For you guys doing offline Blu-ray libraries: what kind of practical hard disk requirements are there (e.g. # of titles per TB on average)? And are you doing full rips or just the main feature/primary audio track?

If I take the plunge I wouldn't be interested in doing any re-encodes.
For movies I do full rips, and stanger's correct about it averaging 25gb/movie. For TV shows I rip each episode to an MKV with HD audio and AC3 audio. If the TV show is in english, then the only subtitle I encode in the mkv is the english forced subtitle. That way all I have to do is turn on subtitles and I don't have to spend time figuring out which track is the forced subtitle track.

All my music is ripped to FLAC as well.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
True. But, since jm9843 didn't mention wanting to compress his movies, I wanted to be clear that my numbers (and, I imagine, stanger's) are what you can expect for full quality Blu-ray rips.

I wasn't judging.
For me, I found early on, when I first ripped my Blu-rays but didn't have a way to get lossless audio, that just the knowledge that what's on the disc could be better, drove me to get out the disc and watch that through my BD player. So I'm not going to waste my time re-encoding when I know I'll either never watch it, or at least I'd have the question in the back of my mind the whole time that disc could look/sound better.

Anyway, here's hoping Slysoft gets UHD Blu-ray figured out quick. I think I've decided to preorder a player, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
For me, I found early on, when I first ripped my Blu-rays but didn't have a way to get lossless audio, that just the knowledge that what's on the disc could be better, drove me to get out the disc and watch that through my BD player. So I'm not going to waste my time re-encoding when I know I'll either never watch it, or at least I'd have the question in the back of my mind the whole time that disc could look/sound better.

Anyway, here's hoping Slysoft gets UHD Blu-ray figured out quick. I think I've decided to preorder a player, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.
I hear ya. My mindset still stems from the old MP3 days. I have a huge collection of MP3s I created using VBR because space was an issue back then. However, I have zero interest in ever recreating those files due to the amount of work involved. If I did, everything would be in something like FLAC or OGG.

When I decided to start doing movies and TV shows, I swore I'd never do it until I could store everything I could ever need without compromises (HD & regular audio for compatibility, full quality video, forced & full subtitles, and embedded fanart), so that I'd (hopefully) never find a desire/need to recreate them. Like you, if I had compressed movies, I'd just as soon pull out the disc. There's a reason I have an HDTV and a receiver which does HD audio.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not me
My is 3GB or less per movie, My bit rate around 2000/ to more the 2500 with AC3 5.1
I have just over 700+ Moive
I have just over 110 TV Show which that dose count all other season for each show.
I have just over 88 Music Albums by group which have more then one then album.
I have just over 170 Home Video
I have just over 3000 Photo
All cross 2x2TB drive and still have about 1TB to go to fill it up with more Pron Heaven
He said he didn't desire to do any reencodes.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2016, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I noticed a while ago that I don't actually notice a difference between Handbrake re-encoded rips and the originals. But, most of the encodes ended up between 7-10GB, so that doesn't let me save a ton of space. I've been doing it for some movies, and I've started re-encoding some movies with forced subtitles, since it seems to work much better to just burn them in than try to get Sage to display them reliably.

But, I mostly don't bother. Given that I don't save much space, it's not worth the trouble. Also, I re-encode movies for mobile devices, where I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice quality to get movies down to about 1GB. I've noticed Handbrake tends to do much better re-encoding the original rip, rather than having it re-encode something that was already re-encoded.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage Icon

Digging this thread up almost 2 years later...

MakeMKV can't decode BDs and not even all DVDs. And my wife emphatically shot down me purchasing the lifetime of AnyDVD (runs about $135) because my first attempt was shot down by my credit card for what they thought was suspicious behavior (I even got a fraud alert call). Turns out Visa doesn't like websites from China, I guess.

I saw the post early in this thread about MKVToolnix but that appears to just be an MKV editing software and not include ripping capabilities (unless I'm missing something).

When I get BDs they typically have DVDs included and I'm sick of only being able to rip the DVDs to my hard drive to watch via Sage. So is there anything out there right now that's free and can rip a BD?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

MakeMKV handles blu rays fine, with one major caveat.

Some discs use a technique called playlist obfuscation to hide the correct movie title to rip. A disc might have hundreds of titles, but only one showing the movie in the correct order.

A workaround has been promised in MakeMKV for years, but is still missing. RedFox's AnyDVD can detect the correct title fairly reliably, so I use a combination of AnyDVD to find the title, and then do the ripping in MakeMKV.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Digging this thread up almost 2 years later...

MakeMKV can't decode BDs and not even all DVDs. And my wife emphatically shot down me purchasing the lifetime of AnyDVD (runs about $135) because my first attempt was shot down by my credit card for what they thought was suspicious behavior (I even got a fraud alert call). Turns out Visa doesn't like websites from China, I guess.

I saw the post early in this thread about MKVToolnix but that appears to just be an MKV editing software and not include ripping capabilities (unless I'm missing something).

When I get BDs they typically have DVDs included and I'm sick of only being able to rip the DVDs to my hard drive to watch via Sage. So is there anything out there right now that's free and can rip a BD?
Nope has nothing to do with Visa doesn't like websites from China this goes back a few years with Dvdfab and both are ban but you could Read This Post or go get a Wal-Mart VISA debit card and add another $25/30 on top of that to cover exchange rate.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Nope has nothing to do with Visa doesn't like websites from China this goes back a few years with Dvdfab and both are ban but you could Read This Post or go get a Wal-Mart VISA debit card and add another $25/30 on top of that to cover exchange rate.
In my experience, I had to call my credit card to authorize the purchase, then I was able to successfully reorder.

Because of the DVDFab crackdown, Redfox had to find a Chinese credit card processor that that run payments for them. This regularly trips the fraud warnings, for sensible reasons.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Sage Icon

I had the short trial period of AnyDVD and it worked great with MakeMKV. That was my plan. Then my wife expressly said no to spending $135 for a piece of software that, "could stop working next week, or even next year, and then you'd have to buy something else." Mostly because we rip discs about once every 3 to 6 months, which is a pretty valid point. I was planning to get a visa prepaid card until she shot the whole thing down.

So I came here to see if anyone knew of anything else.
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 02-24-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

What problem did you have with makemkv alone?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I had the short trial period of AnyDVD and it worked great with MakeMKV. That was my plan. Then my wife expressly said no to spending $135 for a piece of software that, "could stop working next week, or even next year, and then you'd have to buy something else." Mostly because we rip discs about once every 3 to 6 months, which is a pretty valid point. I was planning to get a visa prepaid card until she shot the whole thing down.

So I came here to see if anyone knew of anything else.
If it's that much trouble, and you do it that infrequently, why are you even bothering?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
What problem did you have with makemkv alone?
The last few bds I tried to rip with it failed. I figured it didn't work anymore, or they just weren't keeping up with the latest protections.

I'll try again...

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 02-24-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If it's that much trouble, and you do it that infrequently, why are you even bothering?
Because I don't have disc players at most TVs so I need the movies on my Sage system. I don't buy many movies (mainly Marvel and Star Wars, so only a few per year), so therefore I'm not exactly keeping up with the latest in terms of what folks are using. Therefore I check in here on those occasions to see if anything has changed.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I pretty much get the attached for every BD I try to run with MakeMKV. Granted, almost everything I am ripping is Disney (animated movies for the kids like the attached, Marvel and Star Wars), and I'm guessing they have a few bucks invested in maintaining the latest protections.

It seems everyone here is happily running AnyDVD in the background and doesn't have to worry about it, and since the wife has nixed that, I guess I'm out of luck. I was hoping something else had been created.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (204.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewt...hp?f=7&t=15877
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Ran it as an administrator and tried it twice (re-clicking the disc a second time as someone in that thread suggested). No dice. Same results as the screenshot I posted above. The disc is brand-new and flawless, so it's not a scratched disc.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Sage Icon

Did you try a different bluray, or a different bluray drive?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Sage Icon

Tried another movie, still no dice.

Then had an "I'm so stupid" moment and realized that, while I had updated the trial registration code from the forum every 3 months, I had not updated the actual software. I was still sitting on 1.9.8, so I downloaded the latest version (1.12.0).

Problem solved.

Sorry for all the hassle. I'm off to wash several dozen eggs off my face....