SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sagetv v9 and NAS

I know there are many threads, i've read a lot of them. None have helped.
There are no passwords on my NAS. I've added the NAS folders via the import media menu. I was able to browse to them. But nothing imports. Then, when I search -> file browser, when I Browse Import Library paths, the media folders have a big X on the fllders. However, when I Browse the Local Network, the files show up. But nothing is imported
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe | AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition | Sapphire Radeon 7750 | 52" Sharp LED LCD TV | Xonar Audio | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR 1066 | 64GB SSD for Win10 64-bit | 1TB HDD for Local Recording | ASUS DVD Burner | Drobo 5N (3x4TB & 1x2TB) | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)

Last edited by MrLarkins; 12-25-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

Sounds like a permissions issue. Assuming you are running Sage as a service, you need to make sure that Sage is set to login using a real user account that has permissions to access the directories on the NAS. Also, I think you may need to have accounts created with the same username and password in both the NAS and your Windows machine.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 12-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, this the second time someone has mentioned 'service' again. During the install, there was no option for service vs application. How do I know which i'm using? And why would there be permission issues? Nothing is passworded
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe | AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition | Sapphire Radeon 7750 | 52" Sharp LED LCD TV | Xonar Audio | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR 1066 | 64GB SSD for Win10 64-bit | 1TB HDD for Local Recording | ASUS DVD Burner | Drobo 5N (3x4TB & 1x2TB) | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)
Old 12-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLarkins View Post
Ok, this the second time someone has mentioned 'service' again. During the install, there was no option for service vs application. How do I know which i'm using? And why would there be permission issues? Nothing is passworded
Service mode means that Windows starts it up automatically, with no GUI, in the background before any user login activity. To enable service mode you have to run 'SageTVServiceControl.exe' to configure it. Services need to run as some kind of user and just because your default login user requires no password, it doesn't mean your file system allows read/write by "everyone" by default.

Now if you just "run" SageTV by running SageTV.exe, you are using it in application mode and permissions work by default since you are obviously already logged in as your normal user to run it.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, so I am in application mode. So there shouldn't be permissions issues, right?

Last edited by MrLarkins; 01-02-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation

ok community...has no one got a solution? sagetv v9 on win10 machine can SEARCH Local Network but can't Import Directories on a network. in fact, i can add the network directories within sagetv by navigating to the folder and adding it, but it won't import files and when trying to SEARCH the libraries, they are 'X'd out.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 AM
SageTVaholic

For Windows 10 you could try installing SMB1 (if you haven't already) and see if that helps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ult-in-windows

Or disabling SMB2&3:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and
Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

SMB1 for client was already enabled

i have tried to switch the sagetv service to run as an admin user that has a password. but it gives a logon failure and won't start the service.

can I use a both types of accounts? ie microsoft account and local account. does it matter?

Last edited by MrLarkins; 01-02-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
SMB1 for client was already enabled

i have tried to switch the sagetv service to run as an admin user that has a password. but it gives a logon failure and won't start the service.

can I use a both types of accounts? ie microsoft account and local account. does it matter?
If you "...get a login failure and won't start..." that sounds like you don't have the correct user or password defined in the SageTVServiceControl dialog - to me at least. I never get that but I am currently on Windows 7 for my servers - got Win10 on my laptop.

Not sure what you mean by microsoft account and local account?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

with windows 10, you can use a Local Account or a Microsoft Account when you log in. I've tried both. My issue stems from needing to use an account with password protection. However, I have done this and still get logon errors with the sagetv service.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

SOLUTION:
I installed SageTV v9 on another Win10 system, my desktop. The HTPC in my living room is the one that won't connect. My desktop connected. The only difference is that the one that works had SageTV Service Stopped and Disabled. After I did the same with the HTPC, it would connect to the NAS. So I'm good now. Any thoughts as to why though? I'm interested.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SOLUTION:
I installed SageTV v9 on another Win10 system, my desktop. The HTPC in my living room is the one that won't connect. My desktop connected. The only difference is that the one that works had SageTV Service Stopped and Disabled. After I did the same with the HTPC, it would connect to the NAS. So I'm good now. Any thoughts as to why though? I'm interested.
Sounds like a permissions issue.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Sounds like a permissions issue.
Right.
When you run as a service, by default the service uses the LocalSystem account and will not have permissions to access the network. You have to configure the service to run as a specific user account that has the proper permissions.

The way to do this is to use the SageTVServiceControl.exe program (inside the SageTV folder). It will open a small control panel. Click the “change user” button, and then enter the username and password of a Windows account that has the proper access.

I don’t know if this works with the new Microsoft accounts that use email addresses for usernames (introduced with Windows8) - I haven’t tried and haven’t seen any posts here on the forums about it. But if it doesn’t, you can always create a local account in Windows 10 and use that for Sage. Personally, I create an account just for Sage and give it local admin privileges.
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

what is the purpose of sagetv service control? what does it control? evidently, i don't need it/
Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
what is the purpose of sagetv service control? what does it control? evidently, i don't need it/
It allows the server portions of SageTV to run in the background on the computer. If you are only running SageTV on one computer, and not using any sort of extenders on other televisions throughout your home, then you probably do not need it. For me, I have my SageTV server on a rack in my basement, running the SageTV service. All of my HD300 devices throughout my house connect over the network to the server. I don't even have a monitor connected to my server, which is called running "headless".
Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
It allows the server portions of SageTV to run in the background on the computer. If you are only running SageTV on one computer, and not using any sort of extenders on other televisions throughout your home, then you probably do not need it. For me, I have my SageTV server on a rack in my basement, running the SageTV service. All of my HD300 devices throughout my house connect over the network to the server. I don't even have a monitor connected to my server, which is called running "headless".
My personal opinion is that service mode is the only way Sage should ever be used. It decouples the recording engine and other “back-end” tasks from the user interface (UI). This gives many benefits:

You can close or restart the UI without affecting recordings.

If the UI ever locks-up or hangs, you can force it to quit in the Windows Task Manager and it won’t affect any recordings that may be going on or force any clients or extenders to disconnect.

If your computer ever loses power, you can configure it in the BIOS to automatically re-start when power is restored. The Sage service will start as soon as Windows restarts (without requiring you to log in) - the other mode can’t start until you are fully logged in and the desktop is visible.

There’s no chance you could forget to restart the Sage service or that someone might come along and close the Sage application (causing you to miss recordings or making all of your extenders stop working).
Source:
Comcast Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
My personal opinion is that service mode is the only way Sage should ever be used.
That is absolutely the only way I would ever use it, for exactly the benefits that you have listed. However, some people have a hard time understanding what a service is, and find it easier and more straightforward to use the full application as it is more WYSIWYG.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage Icon

I’ve run it in application mode for 10 years with no issues. Our computer restarts after power outages or reboots and SageTV starts up every time. Nobody has ever closed the program by accident. One difference might be the fact that We never use it as a client. All of our use is via extenders.

I’m quite computer literate and it took me a few years before I understood the difference between server, client, miniclient, etc. Running “SageTV.exe” just worked.

Also, using service mode has caused some people grief with network share permissions. Application mode is simpler in that regard since you’re already logged in as a normal user.

Last edited by wnjj; 01-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I’m quite computer literate and it took me a few years before I understood the difference between server, client, miniclient, etc. Running “SageTV.exe” just worked.

Also, using service mode has caused some people grief with network share permissions. Application mode is simpler in that regard since you’re already logged in as a normal user.
I just wanted to echo this since this was something I didn't understand when I first used SageTV. I'm very computer literate and had a complete understanding of what a service is, yet I still didn't actually know what this applet was intended for until I noticed that it put a new service on my computer. It seems really obvious in hindsight, but I guess it was just the fact that most software either installs a service or it doesn't; having an option felt weird. I originally had assumed, incorrectly, that the recording engine would have already been a service.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I just wanted to echo this since this was something I didn't understand when I first used SageTV. I'm very computer literate and had a complete understanding of what a service is, yet I still didn't actually know what this applet was intended for until I noticed that it put a new service on my computer. It seems really obvious in hindsight, but I guess it was just the fact that most software either installs a service or it doesn't; having an option felt weird. I originally had assumed, incorrectly, that the recording engine would have already been a service.
Perhaps it should be an option on the installer to draw attention to it.

k