SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 PM

SageTV Will No Longer Start

Long time SageTV user here (2004?)... with an above average but not advanced knowledge of the software.

I have been running V9 under Windows 7 for quite a number of years. Everything has worked just fine for the most part until about about two weeks ago. I had some instances where I would come home and my HTPC had rebooted. And then Sage started taking a very long time to startup. Now, it just hangs on the splash screen at "Waiting for SageTV to Finish Initialization."

What I've tried is:

A) Uninstalling Sage through the control panel, removing the SageTV directory and the references to "Frey Software" in the registry. Then downloaded the latest version of Sage (Oct. 2018) and reinstalled. However, I got the same exact behavior.

B) Repeated uninstall of Sage. Then uninstalled Java and reinstalled the latest Java version. Reinstalled Sage. Same behavior.... hangs on splash screen.

I am at a loss... The only thing I can think of next is to reinstall Windows 7 from Scratch.... ugggghhhhh.

Thank you in advance for any help or insights.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

What is the size of your Wiz.bin file? A possibility is that the wiz.bin is really huge and just needs more time to boot. I had my wiz.bin grow to 400+MB and would take an hour to boot. I deleted my wiz.bin and started over and got the boot time back to normal. YMMV.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

Post your sagetv_0.txt after starting up or at least after waiting a while. A wiz.bin under 100MB should be tolerable. How large is yours?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
What is the size of your Wiz.bin file? A possibility is that the wiz.bin is really huge and just needs more time to boot. I had my wiz.bin grow to 400+MB and would take an hour to boot. I deleted my wiz.bin and started over and got the boot time back to normal. YMMV.
When you did this, how did you handle the various flags (archived, watched, don't like) for the recordings? And what happened to your oldest recordings (pre-V7) where the meta data wasn't part of the recording)

Also, when your wiz.bin was large, did you get a lot of spinning and did it go away once you "resized" it?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
When you did this, how did you handle the various flags (archived, watched, don't like) for the recordings? And what happened to your oldest recordings (pre-V7) where the meta data wasn't part of the recording)

Also, when your wiz.bin was large, did you get a lot of spinning and did it go away once you "resized" it?
Lost all of the watched archived and don't like settings so am getting new recordings of old shows now. Also I ended up deleting some shows with incorrect metadata. An interesting thing I noted even with shows with metadata in the recordings there were errors. The show name and descriptions were right but the airing date and time were off. I had some shows that I had recorded several years before showing up with FUTURE airing date and times. But I had to do it because the boot time got so bad that even 12 hours wasn't enough time to complete the boot. When I looked the wiz.bin was about 800MB in size. Now it is < 60MB.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:14 PM

My wiz.bin file was only 98K. I assume this is because I've just done a new install... am I right?

I deleted wiz.bin and wiz.bak and the behavior is the same. I'll post my sagetv_0.txt file in a bit.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 PM

sagetv_0.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Post your sagetv_0.txt after starting up or at least after waiting a while. A wiz.bin under 100MB should be tolerable. How large is yours?
The file was too large to paste into this message but here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U0C...ew?usp=sharing