SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Sage User

iPhone Remote Control App Found

I've been looking for an iphone/ipad app that can control Sagetv for months and finally found one that works well for me. I've tried more than a dozen and found them all wanting, mostly because I had to use someone else's layout or they didn't map properly to the keys and codes I use on my Sage6 installation. It uses a wifi connection to my home network on which my Sagetv Client (on a dedicated MediaPC connected to my TV) runs. So I don't need line of sight to use it.

The name of the app is iInterface and it's available from the iTunes store for $6.99. It is fully and easily customizable - it took me less than an hour to create the attached screen that I use for my remote. Here's what I like and dislike about it:

Pros:

- You start with a blank screen and can easily create a 100% customized layout from scratch

- I programmed it to use the same keystrokes and commands I had already set up for my infrared, USB remote control.

- It sits on my iPhone which I always have in my pocket, so no more searching for that missing remote.

- You can easily set a button press to send more than one keystroke if you want

- iInterface is a relatively new program (1.0.1 is current version as of 8/11/10) so hopefully the author will continue to improve it and add features

Cons:

- I don't think it's possible to send repeating commands if you keep your finger on a button...would be nice to do that for volume control and such

- It takes longer than I'd like to start the app and it eventually seems to lose connection if you keep it in the background with no activity for too long. I don't think it is taking advantage of multitasking in iOS4

- I don't know what key combo can be sent to execute an internal Sagetv numbered command so I had to assign a typeable key to each activity in the Sagetv setup commands screen. I'd done that for my IR Remote anyway

- The program has a (low quality) VNC type screen transmit capability but you can't integrate a small "window" that shows what's on your TV as part of your remote - you have to go to another tab to see it. This capability would be awesome on an iPad screen with more real estate

- No iPad HD version available...you can only use the iPhone->iPad pixel doubling which doesn't get you any more usable control areas but at least makes the buttons bigger and easier to press

- No way I could find to share "templates" of screen designs among multiple iDevices but since it's quick to create a template, it's not the end of the world.

- No way to nest screens so you could have a button that brought you to a whole new screen. As far as I can tell, you can only have 1 screen any given application running on the PC

- I think it only supports Windows...no linux or Mac that I see

- It's easy to accidentally touch the bottom program menu tabs when reaching for a button at the bottom of the screen...I wish you could move or eliminate everything but the buttons

- Limited selection of button types...you get 4 colors, 3 button size/shapes and a handful of standard media button art

- No lite or free version I could find to test it out

If you look it up on iTunes, you'll get a pretty good idea of what it does and looks like. Hopefully the .png of my template will be visible attached to this post too. [BTW, I have no financial or other interest in the app, I'm just excited to have found it.]
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0072.PNG (93.8 KB, 237 views)

Tags
iphone remote ipad