SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
See cost is my main disadvantage and why i can't convince myself. I can buy two or more extenders for the price of a client build with windows license. I keep trying to convince myself but the extra money just doesn't seem worth it.
If you cared about saving money, you wouldn't be using Sage... just saying. If anything, I evangelize the PC clients, because I feel it's a complete shame that the great UI developers have all shifted focus to 'extender-compliant' UI's, making all of sage's great work on the 3D acceleration in v7 unused. Personally, I still feel that the extenders are great for secondary viewing locations (bedroom, garage, kitchen, etc), where it's usually just watching a single show and turning it off. My primary location, where there is a lot more movies and menu navigation, will probably always be PC based.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Personally, I still feel that the extenders are great for secondary viewing locations (bedroom, garage, kitchen, etc), where it's usually just watching a single show and turning it off. My primary location, where there is a lot more movies and menu navigation, will probably always be PC based.
Interesting... for Sage duties *only*, I see no benefit to a PC over the HD300.
Client 2: HD300 on Vizio 40"
Others: Sage Client & Placeshifter
Old 05-09-2011, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you cared about saving money, you wouldn't be using Sage... just saying. If anything, I evangelize the PC clients, because I feel it's a complete shame that the great UI developers have all shifted focus to 'extender-compliant' UI's, making all of sage's great work on the 3D acceleration in v7 unused. Personally, I still feel that the extenders are great for secondary viewing locations (bedroom, garage, kitchen, etc), where it's usually just watching a single show and turning it off. My primary location, where there is a lot more movies and menu navigation, will probably always be PC based.
Now now you never know what is in store as far as ui go, but most have been limiting because most use extenders.

I good 3d view in diamond wonder if someone is working on that...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Interesting... for Sage duties *only*, I see no benefit to a PC over the HD300.
Perhaps.. but HD Netflix, BluRay menus/BDLive & 3D BluRay are enough of a reason for me to spend a one time extra $150 or so. The added ability to run an old school NES emulator is icing on the cake.. ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Perhaps.. but HD Netflix, BluRay menus/BDLive & 3D BluRay are enough of a reason for me to spend a one time extra $150 or so. The added ability to run an old school NES emulator is icing on the cake.. ;-)
See the emulator is what is pushing me on wanting one more than the hd Netflix since my tv has that built in it is easy enough to Pull up over sagetv, but I run emulators in my office and am starting to itch to get it in the living room. Blu ray menus I never want.

So that begs the question i3 or i5....are you using the dedicated video or a separate gpu?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 AM
SageTVaholic

One of the strengths of Sage is the fact that it runs on extenders and full PCs. Choice is good because all users have different wants and needs.

For me a PC by the TV is a non-starter. For others a full function PC connected to the TV is a must. Viva la differance.

Thank you Sage for the choice.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So that begs the question i3 or i5....are you using the dedicated video or a separate gpu?
I'm just using a super cheap i3-530 with the integrated GPU through an H55 chipset motherboard (mini-ITX, small, quiet)

Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm just using a super cheap i3-530 with the integrated GPU through an H55 chipset motherboard (mini-ITX, small, quiet)
+1 to that. The intel graphics on my h55 didn't go well with my tv due to the massive overscan, but other than that I've been extremely happy with my i3 client. I'm going for a dedicated gpu for the simple fact that the one I'm looking at gets a better HQV score than my i3, and the greater flexibility with overscan and things like that. When I used my plasma that had zero overscan the i3 integrated graphics were awesome.

I too like the ability to use my emulators. I never realized how much I love those old games. Now if I could just find out who put the mame and arcade stuff in studio...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Overscan isn't a problem in sage, or other video players... The only time I might see it as an issue is with the emulators, but I just run them at a window in the right position and size to hide the borders in my overscan.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

For those using Netflix on an HTPC how do you access Netflix - via the web page? Windows MC? Are there other friendly 10 ft UIs?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Sage Icon

Boxee make - software only. no hardware. runs on Windows and LInux. Very nice. Free.

as you may know, new Internet capable TVs and DVDs can play Netflix and others. Mine do.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Boxee make - software only. no hardware. runs on Windows and LInux. Very nice. Free.

as you may know, new Internet capable TVs and DVDs can play Netflix and others. Mine do.
Actually Boxee also make the boxer box. Good review up on missing remote right now, but it is not the same as the pc experience.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage Icon

How good is the Wii for Netflix?

My wife want's to get one mainly for wii fit. I'm thinking that it might be a lot better for netflix too? Can it do HD?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
How good is the Wii for Netflix?

My wife want's to get one mainly for wii fit. I'm thinking that it might be a lot better for netflix too? Can it do HD?
Terrible IMHO it only can do 480p and using the wii remote to navigate is anything but great.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for Thanks for the info. I'd rather get a ps3 or something. But she really want's wii fit...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
Not exactly the answer I was hoping for Thanks for the info. I'd rather get a ps3 or something. But she really want's wii fit...
She can do better workout with a xbox kinect or at least that is what the wife says Then you also gain hulu plus
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Sage Icon

Wii has to be better than PlayOn for Netflix. Right?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
For those using Netflix on an HTPC how do you access Netflix - via the web page? Windows MC? Are there other friendly 10 ft UIs?
I have sage launch boxee to use netflix, vudu and some of the other built in "channels". For hulu, I just have sage launch huludesktop. Playon is perfectly fine for other rooms, but for my "theater" room it just doesn't cut it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I have sage launch boxee to use netflix, vudu and some of the other built in "channels". For hulu, I just have sage launch huludesktop. Playon is perfectly fine for other rooms, but for my "theater" room it just doesn't cut it.
If I build a client I will use netflix api to build a sage UI and then launch the netflix player directly so it is more integrated.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I build a client I will use netflix api to build a sage UI and then launch the netflix player directly so it is more integrated.
There i fixed it.